+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Budget in General; The local Tesco here dropped the price from 139.9 to 127.9. Needless to say I went in and filled up....
    Thank Post
    The local Tesco here dropped the price from 139.9 to 127.9.

Needless to say I went in and filled up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems like a fairly good budget to me, I don't see what you're all complaining about. What else could they do, whilst also continuing to reduce the deficit?

Extra money for pothole repairs - good
    Money for first time buyers - good
    Increased personal allowance - good
    No new increases on alcohol duty - good
    Increases on cigarette duty - good
    Investigating merging tax and NI to simplify things - good
    Reduced petrol costs, and introduction of a 'stabiliser' - good
    Tax relief for the gaming industry to aid R&D - good

All during a time when financially, the country has major issues. So, we should be pleased that lot was possible!!

3. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

Gatt (24th March 2011), MK-2 (24th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Seems like a fairly good budget to me, I don't see what you're all complaining about. What else could they do, whilst also continuing to reduce the deficit?

All during a time when financially, the country has major issues. So, we should be pleased that lot was possible!!
    Really? With a Wife & 2kids to support I must say they haven't helped me at all. I am still not getting a pay rise for 2 years, not getting cost of living etc. So 1p off petrol, I don't smoke, rarely drink, don't play games, and i'm not sure how "Investigating merging tax and NI" helps me right now?

5. 2 Thanks to pooley:

ButterflyMoon (24th March 2011), RabbieBurns (24th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Really? With a Wife & 2kids to support I must say they haven't helped me at all. I am still not getting a pay rise for 2 years, not getting cost of living etc. So 1p off petrol, I don't smoke, rarely drink, don't play games, and i'm not sure how "Investigating merging tax and NI" helps me right now?
    The problem is, you expect them to 'help you right now'. They can't help you right now. There isn't the money, we have a massive deficit, and are massively in debt! Like anyone during tough financial times, we all have to make changes to our lifestyles to manage.

You also have to stop thinking 'now' and think about financial stability in the future, both for you and for your kids... Surely you want them to grow up in a country which isn't massively in debt, and in deficit and have to go through all this again then?

The budget that was announced helps businesses grow. Business growth increases employment, which increases tax revenue, and therefore allows for the government to spend more. It also means that people have more cash in their pockets, and can buy more in the shops, increasing employment there too. Business growth is key here to future stability.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Blame the previous Gov't for the current mess - this lot are trying the best they can to ensure that our economy doesn't collapse completely
    If they cut taxes across the board, then yeah it'll help "right now" - but what about a year or more down the line when there is bugger all money to pay for anything like the NHS or god forbid - defending ourselves from the likes of Terrorism or Libya, etc..

But hey, so long as you get a few more coppers in your pocket..

Thank Post

Disagree with this one. This'll just push the smokers more and more to the counterfeit market. Less tax paid, more into the criminal coffers and more ill people on the NHS due to more poisonous substances in the fake "tobacco".

I find it strange that you wag your finger at the naughty smokers yet you think its good that the alcoholics are exempt from any tax rises this time round.

Thank Post
    Am kinda with Pooley on this one. Year in year out we have been increasingly taxed in many different forms almost to the point where we are as well working for nothing. It has gotten progressively worse over the last 10 years or so. Yeah we all have to look at the bigger picture blah de blah de blah but the endless getting from month to month with not much light in sight is at times just too much. To me the last lot and this lot are just performing legalised theft from all of us!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I pass 4 petrol stations between home and school and NOT ONE of them have taken the 1p off this morning
    I'm guessing they are going to argue that they have, but had to add it back on to increasing oil prices
    pased several fuel stations this moring some have gone UP by 2p most expensive i saw for derv was 1.42.9

it all depends how much you believe them about defecut etc does it really need to be brought down this quickly causing this much pain would paying it off over a longer time be less stressful to the economy thus generating more tax money be better.

Blaming the last govenment dosent help either all partys as far as i can see are out for themselves and blow anyone else just blame the last lot

i think they said the increase in the pre tax wages exuates 2 to 1st class stamps a week yipee

Thank Post
    Us "alcoholics" as you describe us, tend not to blow carcenogenic smoke back into your face and choke you....

For the record - yes I drink - about 2 cans a week maybe 2 glasses of wine... (1 of each on a Saturday and again on a Sunday) yet I'm probably classed as a "Binge Drinker"

And before anyone starts on the alcohol related deaths (ie drink-driving) - how many smokers light up at the wheel? How many drop their fag/lighter in the footwell and perform the Funky Chicken Dance trying grab/extinguish it whilst still trying to drive at 80mph down the motorway

Or - worse still - use a Mobile phone whilst taking a draw or lighting up - and yes - it happens - on a regular basis..

IMHO 1 Ciggie is a bit more lethal than my few drinks....
    Last edited by Gatt; 24th March 2011 at 10:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    it all depends how much you believe them about defecut etc does it really need to be brought down this quickly causing this much pain would paying it off over a longer time be less stressful to the economy thus generating more tax money be better.
    You have a credit card bill of £100,000 and have two options:

- paying the minimum off each month and having more to spend elsewhere because of it, but knowing it will take you many years to pay off because the interest will pretty much cancel out what you pay
    - paying a lot of it off each month, meaning it might be tougher to afford things, but knowing that once it is paid off quicker, you are clear of debt?

paying less off the deficit may be less stressful to the economy in the short run, but i'm sure someone here said the interest is something like £1million a day. so the longer we leave it, the more we will end up paying.
    and i usually dont agree with parties blaming each other, but as the previous govmt were in power for a long time, they had more than enough chance to change things, this government is making the changes that make them unpopular but is dragging us out of debt

Thank Post
    Our total deficit is sitting at £1.36 TRILLION from what I heard yesterday....
    Wonder if thats on an AMEX platinum account?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our total deficit is sitting at £1.36 TRILLION from what I heard yesterday....
    Wonder if thats on an AMEX platinum account?
    Natwest would probably give it to you as a standard saver account

Thank Post
    Us "alcoholics" as you describe us, tend not to blow carcenogenic smoke back into your face and choke you....
    @Gatt

Do you drive?

Thank Post
    Yep - but not after a drink...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HallX View Post
    Disagree with this one. This'll just push the smokers more and more to the counterfeit market. Less tax paid, more into the criminal coffers and more ill people on the NHS due to more poisonous substances in the fake "tobacco".

I find it strange that you wag your finger at the naughty smokers yet you think its good that the alcoholics are exempt from any tax rises this time round.
    Cigarettes affect more than the individual smoking them. Sure, we now have smoking bans and the like, but how about when I walk down the street and the guy in front of me is smoking, and his smoke is going straight in my face? That's not healthy.

However, you have a slight point on alcohol. We do have a major problem with alcohol abuse in the UK with binge drinking and alcohol fuelled violence. I don't think alcohol duty is the way to resolve this though. Enforcing minimum pricing for alcohol would be a start.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast