+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Can you change order of your websites pages on Google search results? in General; When you do a Google search, and you look at the first result, it also displays other pages from the ...

Thank Post

Can you change order of your websites pages on Google search results?

When you do a Google search, and you look at the first result, it also displays other pages from the site underneath, together with a 'show more pages from abc.com' link.

If it is your website that appears first for a given search, can you change the order or these pages? How does Google index them? By most visited? Is there any way you can get it to display a specific sub page first?

I ask because our school appears as the main result when you type the full name, but they would like the second 'internal' result to be a certain page on the site, because at the minute it only appears when you click 'show more pages from'

I have attached a very crude screenshot of what I mean.
    Have to say my knowledge of search engine optimisation etc is crude to say the least, so apologies if this is a very stupid question
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can you change order of your websites pages on Google search results?-searchresults.jpg  

Thank Post
    You could try submitting your sitemap to Google using their Webmaster Tools. See if this helps to change the pages it shows.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    best asking someone who is good with SEO and page ranking

Thank Post
    Do you "actually" want to change the order? Or just have the "more pages" showing on top link?

Steve

Thank Post
    We actually do want to change the order, reason - there is one page which lists facilities available for hire, and as something which can bring in revenue, the school want it to be as visible as possible. Currently, you have to click 'show more pages' to see it on the search page

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    We actually do want to change the order, reason - there is one page which lists facilities available for hire, and as something which can bring in revenue, the school want it to be as visible as possible. Currently, you have to click 'show more pages' to see it on the search page
    I'd work on optimizing that page, make sure it's got good keywords etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right I think I know what your wanting but ideally the best *result* you could get what the sublinks like edugeek (wiki etc links in screenshot), pushing a second result is very hard to do and it can have negatives depending on the techniques used.
    The sublinks (or sitelinks as google calls them) is a bit of black art which you cant manually specify but the general rules are to use correct naming schemes for you main menus etc to allow google to figure out site links.
    As you will see from edugeeks, even google doesnt get it right most of the time and it has taken ages to get the forums/wiki links to finally appear so its hard to guarantee results.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread