+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Abandoned Trolley Charge in General; What do you think to this ? They are introducing it in our area, is it a good or a ...

Thank Post

Abandoned Trolley Charge

What do you think to this?

They are introducing it in our area, is it a good or a bad move?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would certainly make them think about securing them better!! Too many round my way get stolen then dumped in our local river (River Lea, which starts literally 200ft from my house!!) and the local wildlife (ducks, frogs, squirrels) end up getting injured or drown by them trapping the animals. Needs to happen across the board IMO. Plus its an extra way to get the money the local government needs to pay for additional jobs

rad
    Thank Post
    Our tesco has the "area brakes" fitted, although I am sure if you had to put a 1 in one, it would make a difference.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How you do you secure an item in which is nature is a movable object. Yes can have anti-theft device on it that stops it once leaves the carpark but as photo on BBC news proves you can still pick it up.

To play devils advocate (dam been hanging around Tony too much) Would you be willing to hand over your card details so they could charge you if steel the trolley..

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Our tesco has the "area brakes" fitted, although I am sure if you had to put a 1 in one, it would make a difference.
    Sorry putting in a 1 makes no difference at all which is way companies stopped doing it. Where can you get a trolley for a 1?

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Would certainly make them think about securing them better!! Too many round my way get stolen then dumped in our local river (River Lea, which starts literally 200ft from my house!!) and the local wildlife (ducks, frogs, squirrels) end up getting injured or drown by them trapping the animals. Needs to happen across the board IMO. Plus its an extra way to get the money the local government needs to pay for additional jobs
    Are you suggesting the state needs even more workers or were you being sarcastic?

Thank Post
    On similar lines, i wonder if they will fine themselves for any abandoned wheelie bins left lying around?

mb

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Sorry putting in a 1 makes no difference at all which is way companies stopped doing it. Where can you get a trolley for a 1?
    Morrisons still do it, but it's not an anti-theft measure. It's so that more trolleys end up back in the trolley park instead of littered across the car park - and on that front it works a treat. We still see Morrisons trolleys abandoned around the area by people who would rather lose the pound than carry their shopping home. To their credit, they did come and pick up the ones I reported very quickly.

I think if the trolley has area brakes fitted and people still nick it, there's not much more you can do. If the shop hasn't made a decent effort, and doesn't pick them up themselves when notified, it's reasonable to charge them. If they've tried and people still nick them, I don't think the shop should have to pay out.

Thank Post
    Surely it's not the supermarkets fault that people steal and then dump the trolleys? Does that mean if I steal some clothes from Tesco and dump them somewhere, Tesco will get fined for that too?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cracking idea. Could cut the squeeze on Council Tax as well as make the Supermarkets become more responsible.

Not so bad where I live now but when I lived in Yate it was a massive problem and I suspect it still is 14 years on.

Thank Post
    Every one should be fitted with a GPS tracker and once it leaves the store grounds calls the police and reports it's location via a gsm/3G modem! Or fit a motor and let it drive itself home!

Thank Post
    I never thought its a huge problem here, most of the supermarkets Tesco and Asda in town have the locking wheels, Morrison's doesn't but then its out of town. If kids want them they can get them past the locking thing. Big problem I think is finding them in the water ways around here and within 2 minutes walk of Asda and Tesco you at the Riverhead!!

I think it is a good idea personally.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They're thinking too complicated. I remember a local supermarket (sorry, can't remember which - I suspect it might have been Iceland in Wellingborough) had the novel idea of a large pole on top of each trolley. Didn't affect manoeuvrability at all and the genius was you just couldn't actually get them out of the door. Might be an issue with car parks though...

Thank Post
    You tilt it back and it goes under.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You'd have to go horizontal with those. Then again, less expensive than the area brakes which never worked. Used to live bang opposite an Asda - their brakes never actually worked despite us taking the laden trolley home with us

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast