+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Chris Moyles and Comedy Dave Comic Relief Challenge in General; Originally Posted by contink Ah what the heck... Most of the time I like him... Spade's are often just a ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Ah what the heck... Most of the time I like him... Spade's are often just a spade and he lampoons himself regularly..

But I have to say when they went off the air today I felt there was something of a void... One in my wallet but also the sheer entertainment value from all the different shows, and the energy from everyone who was on the team... Well, it gave me a spring in my step.

Thing is, so many people can't wait to make some negative comment, do the deed down, find something to turn the glass half empty and honestly it does my head in... Why, oh why, not just enjoy the moment for what it is... Something pretty damned amazing, a true team effort that will make a massive difference.

Nuff said...
    Agreed. :-) Well said!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Not aimed at me I hope - I did say the charity effort was good - but I wonder why he makes such derogatory comments about lots of groups of people, some of whom will probably benefit from Comic Relief money
    Not specifically Witch, but the problem was yourself and others were happy to say congratulations, good effort as a sort of sideline to making a whole series of disparaging comments that detracted from it all.

The problem is that it seems all too easy to take everything in the context of everything else. Take the Comic Relief tweets that were going around from some opinionated a*se about how the 74million was just 1% of the bankers bonuses. It folks are going to think like that, they might as well decide that life ends in death, what's the point and just press the big red button. In essence they're missing the point and it's this that takes the shine off what was a quite monumental achievement that I suspect humbled, even that big mouthy galoot on Radio 1.

Perhaps it's just that I've become aware that I've been spending a huge amount of my time and energy unwittingly devoted to putting peoples efforts down, finding fault, getting annoyed, etc... and subsequently emptying the glass over all and sundries heads (much less considering it half empty). As a result, perhaps the person I've been having the biggest go at, is myself.

Last weekend found me making a concerted effort to see the good in things, people, and situations.. In part because of some of what Comic Relief reminded me of, the fact we have sunshine and well, because I hate having an empty glass.

Fill 'er up please... Mine's a pint

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Sorry if you feel that way and I 'can' see your point...
    but...
    What's so wonderful about staying on the radio for so long? Not 'monumental' really, is it? Good, from a charity perspective of course, but AFAIC 'monumental', 'awesome' and other such adjectives belong to achievements such as saving lives, medical advances, heroic rescues, bravery, landing on Mercury, curing cancer, self-sacrifice etc.
    Yes I know you can't compare apples and pears, and if we do then yes we are indeed in danger of giving up now, but I just wonder why someone who has all the back-up and support in the world is considered to have done something SO amazing.
    I do get annoyed when people over-use words like 'heroic' or 'tragic' so maybe that's why I am having a problem with saluting what is definitely an achievement....

4. 2 Thanks to witch:

RabbieBurns (23rd March 2011), sidewinder (23rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    I think this is what's called an agreement to disagree while agreeing on certain points... probably more than you realise.

I'm going to avoid the temptation to answer last... *bowing out*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    I think this is what's called an agreement to disagree while agreeing on certain points... probably more than you realise.

I'm going to avoid the temptation to answer last... *bowing out*
    ohh...poo
    I've just unpacked and inventoried 32 netbooks and 33 desktops - single-handed...AND I'M SPOILING FOR A FIGHT!!!!

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    ohh...poo
    I've just unpacked and inventoried 32 netbooks and 33 desktops - single-handed...AND I'M SPOILING FOR A FIGHT!!!!
    How much were you sponsored for each? or don't you get that for doing your job?

8. Thanks to creese from:

gerardsweeney (23rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Sorry if you feel that way and I 'can' see your point...
    but...
    What's so wonderful about staying on the radio for so long? Not 'monumental' really, is it? Good, from a charity perspective of course, but AFAIC 'monumental', 'awesome' and other such adjectives belong to achievements such as saving lives, medical advances, heroic rescues, bravery, landing on Mercury, curing cancer, self-sacrifice etc.
    Yes I know you can't compare apples and pears, and if we do then yes we are indeed in danger of giving up now, but I just wonder why someone who has all the back-up and support in the world is considered to have done something SO amazing.
    I do get annoyed when people over-use words like 'heroic' or 'tragic' so maybe that's why I am having a problem with saluting what is definitely an achievement....
    Im worked up just reading this post, they didnt do 2 hours overtime it was 52 hours on the radio and raised 2.5 million for charity, I couldn't give a damn if someone landed on Mercury...

Lets hope the money saves some lives so it will then be classed as 'monumental', 'awesome'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_notts View Post
    Lets hope the money saves some lives so it will then be classed as 'monumental', 'awesome'
    Or some of these over-paid so-called-celebrities could donate some of their own ridiculous salaries to charity.
    Now that might be awesome....
    I did say that the raising money for charity bit was good, its just that 52 hours on the radio is tough or tiring, NOT awesome!

11. Thanks to witch from:

RabbieBurns (23rd March 2011)

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    What really bothers me is:
    If he hadn't done this "Marathon Stint" of overtime/having fun on air, would these people who donated not have done so?
    If not, why not?
    Why does it take someone in a Banana suit, running a marathon backwards before people give?
    If someone is really concerned that people in Africa/UK or wherever need help why not just go and help or text your dosh to whichever charity. Preferably on a regular basis.
    I fail to understand this annual, let's do the silliest thing I can think of, to raise money. I avoid the BBC around that weekend as it is just self publicity and cheap TV, not why I pay my licence fee.

Thank Post
    The question is why did Fern Cotton just not do her 2 hour radio show in her swim suite instead? Chris was up to 1.8 Million in donations 20 mins before he finished, then when Fern dropped mention of getting her swim suite out if people donate to get them up to 2 million quid, it shoots up to 2.5 Mill in the last 20 minutes instead! That's 700,000 earned in that small stretch! Compared to 52 hours on the air, it's a much better ratio of donations to time for the swim suite.

If she got around 700,000 every 30 mins for being in her swim suite, she could have earned 2.8 Million. Chris would not be knackered, and we would have some web cam action that's easy on the eye.

Bottom line? Sex sells...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123