+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Help me list why I need new switches in General; ...

Thank Post

Help me list why I need new switches

With the immense help from LocalzUK with regards to what switches I want/need, I have identified the following:

2 x HP 5604 48 Port zl switches

2 x HP ProCurve Switch 5400zl 24p 10/100/1000 PoE Module - expansion module - 24 ports

2 x HP ProCurve 20p 10/100/1000 + 4p Mini-GBIC Module - expansion module - 20 ports

2 x 50/125 fibre lead
    2 x 62.5/125 fibre lead

So far I have gotten 3 companies to go away and create me a quote for the above. But, in the meantime, If I go by their website pricing the above works out to be about approx. a tad over £17k.

My current switches are 8+ years old (3Com) and I need to list down the justifications of wanting these new HP ProCurve switches, which is going to be put forth to the governors'.

The only thing I can think of is the lifetime warranty, with next business day.

Can anyone help me jot s'more reasons?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    because the network won't work without them....

3. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Chuckster (17th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Coping with anticipated growth in network use.
    Allowing 801.1n wireless access points.
    Giving QOS to better control network traffic and allow future VOIP.
    Fulfilling the server room flashing lights quota thus preventing the appearance of Zombie-Geeks
    Energy efficiency (newer kit generally is), giving X energy savings over the next Y years (with 24x7 kit, this can quickly add up (and you can factor in some increases in energy prices)).
    Err ...

5. Thanks to pcstru from:

Thank Post
    802.1x - network security, best one of all I think

7. Thanks to seacider from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    TBH I wouldn't bother giving too much detail, they won't understand. Just say it is on it's last legs (it probably is given the age)

9. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    Kit starts to fail after 5+ years(point out your current computers, old switches could fail at any time)
    Futureproofing the site for future expansion
    Faster network over fibre and Gigabit, speeding up login times(something they will relate too)
    network security(they probably wont care but put it in anyway)

11. Thanks to Flakes from:

Thank Post
    Do you need new switches? What issues are your current ones giving you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    Faster network over fibre and Gigabit, speeding up login times(something they will relate too)
    careful quoting things like that. if they authorise the payment on that basis and one day something totally unrelated (bad setting in a gpo, whatever) causes logins to slow down more than normal, or machines to get on the internet slower, the first thing that will be looked at is you stated it will be a faster network.

as others have stated its probably far easier to say as with machines, switches have a life expectancy and its ideal to replace before they finally die rather than impulse buy when one suddenly drops half the network

14. Thanks to MK-2 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I've Pm'd you with the details of the guy i've just purchased mine through for alot less money!

16. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Do you need new switches? What issues are your current ones giving you?
    Chris, I had a network survey done and the only thing recommended was that I upgrade our switches. My current lot will not support IPv6 so this is in antipation of that.

Also, would you believe it, the cabling work is Cat6 and some numpty decided to use a 10/100meg switches instead! So realistically we're running at 10% of our maximum capacity.

Guys, keep 'em coming. I'm already beginning to jot down your reasons.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    They are nice and shiny with lots of flashing lights!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    Chris, I had a network survey done and the only thing recommended was that I upgrade our switches. My current lot will not support IPv6 so this is in antipation of that.

Also, would you believe it, the cabling work is Cat6 and some numpty decided to use a 10/100meg switches instead! So realistically we're running at 10% of our maximum capacity.
    I cant see IPv6 affecting your local network within 5 years (some one correct me) but your ISP will be providing IPv6 to 4 translation before IPv6 true compatibility is required from all devices.
    What speed is your back bone?
    Do you "really" need to deliver 1Gb to the desktop?

Perhaps look at just upgrading your backbone between switches first (dependant on what you already have) or your core switches and work your way out over time to the edge. Its a smaller investment hit to take and easier to sell to SLT. Its also offsetting the replacement times of your equipment,

20. Thanks to CHR1S from:

Thank Post
    @Chris, that's the thing, I am looking to replace my core switches - the main backbone and the second location which is almost a core, too. The fibre link connection is 1Gb and my school is a really small school, so at most only 70 or so ports will be used in each switch but only 25 computers will be turned on in 2 separate locations. That's 50 computers out of 100 being turned on and used on a daily basis. The rest is printers.

The 3rd location has a 10Gb link connection but there are no computers in there anymore. That building is now turned into a huge food tech building.

I'm not looking to replace the edge but if I do I can get away with a unmanaged 1Gb switch at approx. £130. Truthfully, leaving the edges as they are now is okay for me at 10/100Mb.

Furthermore, I will be looking into having a managed/unmanaged wireless solution if the SMT have their way, so in essence I am just trying to deliver a future proof network.

If money is no obligation, then I would put in another fibre link between locations A & B to prevent bottlenecks.

II understand I run the risk of it with these new ones, but I don't see every computer in the whole school being switched on and used, and I have been here for 4 years. I am no expert so any advice and/or constructive criticism will be welcomed. It will only help me to learn better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    careful quoting things like that. if they authorise the payment on that basis and one day something totally unrelated (bad setting in a gpo, whatever) causes logins to slow down more than normal, or machines to get on the internet slower, the first thing that will be looked at is you stated it will be a faster network.
    True. my point was simply that you should show how the new switches will improve things that they relate too.

if you go in there and start saying, "we will be compatible with IPv6, the backbone will be able to handle more traffic and the whole network will be secure using 802.1x" you will get a load of blank, confused faces.

much better to pick a load of stuff they can relate to, helping them understand the benefits.

Thank Post
    Your current switches are old and don't have the fancy blue LEDs found on newer ones. More blinking lights makes things go faster too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread