+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Bet you Senior School Techies don't get this! in General; I've spent a very enjoyable morning in our Kindergarten doing various things to their PC, including installing the freebie Winnie ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,643 Posts

Bet you Senior School Techies don't get this!

I've spent a very enjoyable morning in our Kindergarten doing various things to their PC, including installing the freebie Winnie the Pooh mouse from the RM Primary Conference in London yesterday and Winnie-the-Pooh Nursery software it came with.

Nothing unusual there, until I came to test the software. Within seconds I had a rising 3 year old on my lap and was then surrounded by fascinated youngsters. We decided to paint pictures at Piglet's house... great fun!

Rest of the school hadn't a clue where I was, so I "tested" (okay - played) with the Kindergarten for half an hour. Well... you need to test these new installations thoroughly, don't you!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Bet you Senior School Techies don't get this!

Haha, that sounds like a nice skive for you! I can't escape here as I always have a radio on me

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Haha, that sounds like a nice skive for you! I can't escape here as I always have a radio on me
    Batteries have been known to go flat, though

Thank Post

Left the mobile on my heap in my office/cupboardby mistake! It's nice when someone appreciates what you do for a change... even if their average age was 3!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40
    Left the mobile on my heap in my office/cupboardby mistake! It's nice when someone appreciates what you do for a change... even if their average age was 3!
    That's why I'm so keen on the wonderful world of Primary. In the main, the kids are delightful rather than destructive, and in my experience the teachers really appreciate your help.

I'd stay forever if I could, but I fear the lack of prospect to increase money might end up preventing that...

Thank Post

I'd stay forever if I could, but I fear the lack of prospect to increase money might end up preventing that...
    Its a shame when you love your job and lets face it most of us do, other wise we would work in indusrty for the better money.

Thank Post

i do work for a local independant school, it's funny how the three years olds will ask fifty times what you doing?
    some shout out it's the computerman!
    atleast they do not come to school with the intention to cause havoc!

Thank Post

Only downside of working in the kindergarten is the size of the furniture. My legs are far too long!

Thank Post

Only downside of working in the kindergarten is the size of the furniture. My legs are far too long!
    Here Here!!! Just about kneecap height I find..

As for testing primary software, it may be a pain to maintain on a network, but it must be tested

Just try changing a hard disk in the same room. The teacher wasn't the center of attention that day! (Down to hours and locations I must say)

Craig

Thank Post

Hehehe, I know what you are all saying.

I myself had a similar experience in nursery. I was asked to show the kids there how to open some software on the computer and finally left the room three hours later having build an entire virtual playground with them and painted it all red and blue. That was a fun morning..

Its very true that they always ask what you are doing and in my case, "why are you so tall?". I just wish I could answer that question...

They used to call me Mr Computer Man, but they since learnt my name was James. Unfortunately because the teachers always called me James, the kids do now as well. I don't mind it, but people have realised their mistake now and have resorted to telling them off every time they call me James.

It's even more difficult for me to use their small chairs though because I'm so tall lol... my knees come up to my chin if I sit down on them, so I often just sit on the floor lol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict
    Batteries have been known to go flat, though
    I wish that was possible! When I forget to turn it on sometimes I end up having people searching everywhere for me and eventually finding me and making many comments of 'why isn't your radio working!!!?!'

Also, I find working in a middle school seems like an excellent balance. I get a decent budget and the kids aren't *that* destructive.

Thank Post

that was possible! When I forget to turn it on sometimes I end up having people searching everywhere for me and eventually finding me and making many comments of 'why isn't your radio working!!!?!'
    Don't you have a cupboard to hide in?

I have several places to hide in school. My number one is my cupboard, but staff have finally learnt the days I work in that school so ignoring the knocks with the excuse that I wasn't there doesn't fly now. My number two is the back of the ICT Suite behind a wall, invisible from 95% of the rest of the ICT Suite. My ICT coordinator soon found out about this and has told everyone to check there when looking for me. My number three is in the corner of the library, which again, is invisible to 95% of the rest of the library. There is a decent computer in the corner where I can get some work done. Unfortunately the library is also a corridor and is too risky now, especially as I have been caught there several times already.

Of course, the person who knows the school best is the caretaker. First thing tomorrow, I must ask him for other decent hiding places .

Then there is my mobile... darn, I'm gonna have to think of something to do with that.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    that was possible! When I forget to turn it on sometimes I end up having people searching everywhere for me and eventually finding me and making many comments of 'why isn't your radio working!!!?!'
    Don't you have a cupboard to hide in?

I have several places to hide in school. My number one is my cupboard, but staff have finally learnt the days I work in that school so ignoring the knocks with the excuse that I wasn't there doesn't fly now. My number two is the back of the ICT Suite behind a wall, invisible from 95% of the rest of the ICT Suite. My ICT coordinator soon found out about this and has told everyone to check there when looking for me. My number three is in the corner of the library, which again, is invisible to 95% of the rest of the library. There is a decent computer in the corner where I can get some work done. Unfortunately the library is also a corridor and is too risky now, especially as I have been caught there several times already.

Of course, the person who knows the school best is the caretaker. First thing tomorrow, I must ask him for other decent hiding places .

Then there is my mobile... darn, I'm gonna have to think of something to do with that.
    James, James, James, now you've just posted all your secret hiding places on t'internet. Hope your ict co-ordinator doesnt lurk on here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I tried hiding in the library a few times, but word got around. Now I just work late

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    James, James, James, now you've just posted all your secret hiding places on t'internet. Hope your ict co-ordinator doesnt lurk on here.
    Nah, my IT coordinator would never find this site. My network manager might, I think I have mentioned it to him a couple of times. He is probably lurking on here reading every post I make for all I know, lol, I really wouldn't be surprised. If he was, he probably would never tell me either. It is just a good way of keeping an eye on me lol (he only sees me once or twice every two weeks).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast