+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 48 hours with an iPad 1 in General; I have been given an original 16Gb wifi to have a play with, I have never used one before and ...

Thank Post

48 hours with an iPad 1

I have been given an original 16Gb wifi to have a play with, I have never used one before and have decided to write a sort of blog/review. Feel free to correct my errors as this is just an on the go response. Your opinions are welcome and any tips to help the integration would be a god send!

Out of the box

Wow its heavy, not laptop heavy, but enough to be slightly uncomfortable.

Setup was easy, just used iTunes and linked it to my own account.

I decided to run through the usual free apps I have on my iPhone 4 (BBC, Sky, Twitter, etc.) The apps designed for iPad look great and really make use of the extra screen size. Those that arenít, are very small or if zoomed pixelated but useable.
    The app that made me go wow was Sky News HD, it looks stunning and brings an element of interactivity to the mundane reading of news. I hope the devs decide to progress these style of applications as they really do show off what a multitouch device can do with different medias.

Video and graphics look crisp, considering its not on a very high resolution, high pixel dense screen. The speaker is adequate.

Holding it is awkward for anything more than one fingered use and a good dock or holder is required for desktop use and typing.

A day in

So, I have been using it for a day, I like it!
    Iím exploring new things; linked my google apps and drop box.

The lack of a unified system for accessing a cloud storage provider, getting a document, editing it and sending it back frustrates me.
    Typing seems comfortable for short to medium periods of time, even if the keyboard layout isnít quite as simplistic as an ordinary desktop item, but its altogether very useable.

The inability to try applications for free frustrates me, yes I know there are ďliteĒ and ďfreeĒ options but these are few and far between for most apps and raises the question of jail breaking, in a legitimate but albeit grey area, especially if the initial demo is to decide on a class purchase of 30!

The lack of file browser is an issue, perhaps because I am a windows user? Not having an all in one place to move my files around locally is weird, going from app to app for each different file. This compounds the issue of not having a unified system for editing and storage as discussed earlier.

Finger marks and lots of them!

Sitting in the lounge I browsed some websites much more comfortably than with a laptop, its pickup and go instant on/off allowed me to slip in and out with ease. The sites are rendered well and with speed and the lack of flash didnít really bother me. The one app for each web presence still bothers me, BBC/Sky/eBay et al but these all open in the web browser sans flash.

Day 2

Iím walking round school with it, the attitude of staff concerns me! They seem to be very snotty and perhaps jealous that I have one. I explain itís a demo and not mine but they donít seem to care.....

Havenít used it much today, limited by the fact I have to give it back tomorrow and donít want to integrate it into my day to day work.

Iím worried where I leave it, wonít fit in my pocket like a phone or sit on my desk like a laptop, it was the same at home too; Do I leave it on the side, on the floor, in a book shelf?

Iím starting to think that an iPad (or any tablet) will need a raft of accessories to help it fit in day to day. A dock, keyboard, A/V adaptor and a case just for starters.
    One thing that has tweaked my interest is the hybrid concept, where an ipad like device running a tablet OS can be docked into a charger come keyboard/mouse combo and revert to a more desktop like OS giving me the best of both worlds. Maybe it will happen, maybe not.

Itís a bit sluggish today, I have left a few apps open and you can feel it starting to struggle; battery is at 50%, impressive!

Conclusion

The concept is right, the application is very good but the overall experience is not for my own personal needs. Perhaps jail breaking it will give me more freedom as it did with my iphone4?

It ticks a lot of boxes, especially ones for our SLT looking at moving to a google apps environment and it will also encourage others to (hopefully) follow suit.

DLNA (sorry apple but please use common standards) is essential, wireless printing works but you need a PC on 24/7 to run iTunes (Díoh).

One day a company will make the holy grail of tablets.... but no one would upgrade each year, so, its not going to happen!

Would I buy one? Yes

Would I recommend one? No, I would say go play with one at an Apple store for an hour first and then decide.

Now just need to get a 48 hour test of a Xoom to do a comparison.

2. 3 Thanks to CHR1S:

flyinghaggis (18th March 2011), LiamH (18th March 2011), Rydra (21st March 2011)

Thank Post
    I did give in and bought one a while back, mainly use it for E-Books for my degree and all my Microsoft manuals just saves me carrying around a load of books, websites, dropbox the new iplayer app is nice too. I also worry where to leave it, at £499 for the 32Gb one it’s not something you want to go missing. I also find it collects a lot of finger marks

Thank Post
    Xoom review: Ars reviews the Motorola Xoom (yes, I know they're Apple whores at Ars).

I'd probably buy an iPad if it had a hinge down the centre / folded along it's length and fitted into a pocket. If I have to carry a bag, I may as well sling in a real computer.

rad
    Thank Post
    Is it one of those, I want, use and collect dust items though once the novelty wears off.

OH wanted a Wii for Xmas, so i bought one of here (EG), got a balance board and everything, not used it a lot, is that cos it is either TV or Wii, not sure, will see what comes about in a few months, will it get turned on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It sounds daft but the case makes all the difference.

I was cautious about using mine, leaving it everywhere etc until I bought a decent case for it.

Oh and Jailbreak is the only way forward, if not a tad naughty (so I'm told)

Joe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_nic View Post
    I did give in and bought one a while back, mainly use it for E-Books for my degree and all my Microsoft manuals just saves me carrying around a load of books, websites, dropbox the new iplayer app is nice too. I also worry where to leave it, at £499 for the 32Gb one it’s not something you want to go missing. I also find it collects a lot of finger marks
    Where do you get the MS manuals from? Kindle or iBook?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Just a headsup wrt Google and SLT - We are a Google webapps site and one of our SLT uses ipad for everything. SIMS, Google Docs, Calendars etc. He thinks it's fantastic and has given his school issued laptop back.
    We set it up on a 'dirty' home user network with just access to web applications and Citrix.

9. 2 Thanks to CyberNerd:

CHR1S (17th March 2011), pshuttle (6th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thats where we want to head, im going to be an advocate for it!
    Last edited by CHR1S; 17th March 2011 at 01:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    cool. wrt printing - we think PaperCut web printing is the way forward. We want to firewall off all our internal servers except for web access.
    Google exports pdf and papercut web print imports them.

12. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

CHR1S (17th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I was going to get one the other week but then came to my senses..... I still want something like this - but can't make up my mind what. It took me 10 years to purchase a printer so this may be another one of those situations.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Where do you get the MS manuals from? Kindle or iBook?
    There the PDF versions which use to come with the paper copy of the books just use ibook to sync them over. havn't bought some in ages so don't know if microsoft still give the the CD with them on.

15. Thanks to andy_nic from:

CHR1S (17th March 2011)

Thank Post
    To be honest I am seriously looking at getting a Ipad 1 16GB. For £329 inc vat from the Apple store it now represents somewhere near good value. I mean nock £100 off £329 and that will buy you a horrid mickey mouse tablet with a crap screen. Paying £600 for the top notch one is a bit bonkers.

All I need is enough storage for documents etc (not gonna use it for music much) and dont need 3g as 3g is mostly rubbish in most places round here. So the 16gig one seems to do the job.

Verry tempted. Mind you I know ill end up using it 90% for school work so I may end up going the route of getting one through school.

Butuz

Thank Post
    I was instructed by the Deputy Head yesterday to order 30 iPads so we can give 1 to each member of staff and give everyone a chance to see how they can integrate it into teaching&learning (which will then become a set of 30 that can be booked out after they have figured out good uses for it) so quite soon I will be getting one to use for a bit too, though at the speed of ordering around here I'll be playing with my own iPad2 before the school gets it's iPad1's!

Thank Post
    48 hours with an iPad 1-ipadcase.jpg

A slightly blurry picture of an Equanet iPad mobile classroom, management and charging point.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    I was instructed by the Deputy Head yesterday to order 30 iPads so we can give 1 to each member of staff and give everyone a chance to see how they can integrate it into teaching&learning (which will then become a set of 30 that can be booked out after they have figured out good uses for it) so quite soon I will be getting one to use for a bit too, though at the speed of ordering around here I'll be playing with my own iPad2 before the school gets it's iPad1's!
    so basically there will be an outlay of approx £13k for equipment that nobody has any idea how to integrate into the system? what happens if you buy those 30 and they don't integrate, is that 13k wasted or will they be sent back?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast