+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, 48 hours with an iPad 1 in General; I was informed this morning that 12 ipad 1's have been bought to arrive early this week. Oh Joy. For ...

Thank Post
    I was informed this morning that 12 ipad 1's have been bought to arrive early this week.

Oh Joy.

For the time being it'll be the 12 ipads, and I think a set of the cables to attach them to projectors/IWB's. I've heavily suggested to the HT to look into getting a charging case and some docks for them.

I'm very sceptical how if at all they will fit into everyday usage within the school, as the staff wont really know what to do with them initially. So I'll be helping, with any luck in force feeding their integration into things to make sure they get some use.

If left to the devises of the staff they will be seen as a hinderance rather than a new tool, and will only end up being used for messing around/treats etc. Hopefully we can change this.

Thank Post
    Just for people wanting to buy one, the 1st Gen ipads can be had for 289 refurbished from Apple

Thank Post
    Yep or 329 new. Have to admit I am struggling to think of a reason why not to pull the trigger on one!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Hopefully my iPad 2 is coming from the states, if there is stock when my cousin goes to the store. 303 depending on exchange rate

Thank Post
    Well chaps I am afraid I gave in an popped into my local tesco extra last night and picked up a 16gb wifi iPad 1.

I am typing this on it now!!!!

First thing that strikes me is the quality of the unit and the screen. Whatever apple do wrong they certainly get syling and build quality spot on.

Second thing that strikes me is actually how useable the on screen keyboard is. I started off using two fingers and after an hour or two have gratuated to using 2 to 3 fingers on each hand at the same time. this makes for surprisingly rapid typing!! I was not expecting this as I had trouble typing on my iPhone 1 due to the tiny keyboard. The on screen keyboard in landscape mode is very usable. The only thing that really slows you down is numbers as you have to enter the number section and then go back to qwerty section. Overall very impressed!

I joined it to iTunes on my admin pc and sync my exchange account so I have my full calendar and contacts. So far I am using my calendar and the notes app In work to good effect. I plan to have a look on the app store and see if there arer any other business / productivity apps available for free.

Last night I just sat in front of the tv browsing Facebook and a few if my fav forums and it did the job excellently.

So to recap. Very pleased so far, for what, web browsing, calendar and email, note taking It is perfect.

How much use it would actually be for a pupil or teacher in a school on the other hand is a much harder question to answer!

Butuz

6. Thanks to Butuz from:

CHR1S (23rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    I have been *this* close to caving and getting a cheaper iPad1 for days now!!!
    Hoping to get my mitts on an iPad2 on Friday!

Thank Post
    Well, a little update from me.

The SLT and head have been using theirs for 2 days now and wow!
    The more arty deputy has installed an art package and created some amazingly detailed pictures (I mean REALLY, art gallery level). He said that he can do things on the iPad that would cost a fortune in materials and time in minutes. Big thumbs up from him

Thank Post
    Yeh the only reason I pulled the trigger is because at a shade over 300 it actually starts to make very good sense. Back when it was 450+ I couldn't justify it. IMHO the 3G is pretty obscenely priced as on top of the 100 plus premium you have to pay for the data plan too. I just don't need Internet all the time that much to warrant the extra cost... Wireless at home and wireless in work means I am connected 90% of the time.

Overall Butuz = happy.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Wireless at home and wireless in work means I am connected 90% of the time.
    Overall Butuz = happy.Butuz
    Or use barnacle Barnacle WiFi Tether App for Rooted Android Phone | Gadgets DNA to turn your android phone into a WAP and connect 100% of the time

Thank Post
    How do you configure and support more than five units? I thought that you could only connect a maximum of five Ipads to one itunnes installation?

Thank Post
    Not sure on the details but basically set up 1 iPad the way you want it to be, then back it's config up to your PC, then 'restore' that config to any amount of other iPads you have and voila! A set of imaged iPads

Thank Post
    How can that be? surely your only buying one set of apps for all your iPads? I can't see that being either legal or allowed by Apple?
    BTW this isn't an anti Apple rant, its a genune enquiry as to how you manage multiple (30+) iPads

Steve

Thank Post
    Yeah that was the thought I had as well about cloning them (I've not done it, not even got iPads here yet!) but can't see any other real way to do it, otherwise you are going to need 6 PC's to managed 30 iPads which is crazy!

Will have to investigate further. I know there are companies selling docks which allow you to connect 15 iPads at once to 1 PC using this method so the PC only thinks it has the 1 connected, but as you say I'm not sure how that works with the Apps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234