+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 48 hours with an iPad 1 in General; Originally Posted by Rydra ACER Iconia 484G64N at cheap prices | PC World I want. Nuff said. WOW now that ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    WOW now that is very pretty and an awesome design concept, its almost like a giant-sized Nintendo DS!
    But only "up to" 3 hours of battery life and a weight of nearly 3Kg doesn't make it anywhere near as portable as an iPad / XOOM etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    The lack of file browser is an issue, perhaps because I am a windows user? Not having an all in one place to move my files around locally is weird, going from app to app for each different file. This compounds the issue of not having a unified system for editing and storage as discussed earlier.
    I quite like the concept of a tablet computer but this is the one thing that stops me from buying an ipad. I just can't get my head around the concept of not having a 'my documents' folder that I can simply store files in! That coupled with the fact you have to use itunes to synchronise the thing means it's never going to be a device you could use as a stand-alone computer.

Having said that if you want a 'tablet' computer it's still pretty much the only option at the moment. Android/Windows slate/tablet devices are still a year or two away from being ready to take the fight to Apple unfortunately.

3. Thanks to flyinghaggis from:

CHR1S (18th March 2011)

Thank Post
    @flyinghaggis even if they did a iOS Pro for an extra cost that had extra bits and bobs... I can dream

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I rather like the look of Asus' version - includes a slideout keyboard, decent specs, Android, and the price is apparently going to be in the $400 region.

Thank Post
    I purchased only ONE recently for the HoD ICT to demo. I am not a fan of it myself, just a big iPhone in my opinion and I found it hard to part with the cash but it seems to have gone down ok although even they have found out it's limitations quite quickly (most of them have been mentioned in previous threads!). The kids will get to use as a treat at the end of the lesson if they're well behaved.

However, as they can't be monitored or controlled centrally it does leave it open to abuse. Rude words/messages being typed etc. As far as I know, there is no way of integrating monitoring software on an iPad into a Windows 2k3 vanilla network?

I've had a look at the few Viewsonic's on offer at the Insight Technology Show recently, they are heavy too but look good, excellent spec and from the 2mins I played with it, it worked well, you can also get 7 Pro on the ViewPad 10s as well I think?

Thank Post
    It's been discussed before (and I don't want to hijak this thread into yet another iPadvsXOOMvsAndroid / ilove-hate-Apple thread) but from what I have seen & heard/read on here, Windows 7 on a touchscreen is quite awful to work with and to be avoided.

I have a HTC phone with Android on it and love it, but the iPad2 is just too much for me (personally) to resist now; the iPad1 I managed to talk myself out of getting, I can't do it with this new version though!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Windows 7 on a touchscreen is quite awful to work with and to be avoided.
    I've just read your previous post in late January and read the heads up from everyone! With my budget being released next week I doubt I'll be able to afford fancy things like tablets this year anyway, so I might as well wait for the Win Tablet OS due in late 2012!!!

Also be interesting to see what the Blackberry Playbook is like?
    Last edited by fathead; 18th March 2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: syntax!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's been discussed before (and I don't want to hijak this thread into yet another iPadvsXOOMvsAndroid / ilove-hate-Apple thread) but from what I have seen & heard/read on here, Windows 7 on a touchscreen is quite awful to work with and to be avoided.
    I've got Windows 7 with a touchscreen on my laptop - absolutely lovely to work with on the occasions I need a touchscreen. Have you tried it at all?

Thank Post

I have a HTC phone with Android on it and love it, but the iPad2 is just too much for me (personally) to resist now; the iPad1 I managed to talk myself out of getting, I can't do it with this new version though!!
    Very true. I've not played with any Windows 7 tablets, but I have played with a touch-screen based Windows 7 desktop. I can't remember the manufacturer of the screens, but I didn't understand why they made the edge of the screen stick out so you couldnt click the corners properly? Very annoying when it isn't flush.

We're possibly going down the iPad route as a trial with our prep school (infant and junior kids). We liked the 12 or 14 unit storage case as linked in a previous post. Going through all the infrastructure, there really isn't much apart from ensuring wireless is available in the areas you want to use them in. Our idea is to put them in the library initially and then locking them down. This is possible with the iPhone Configuration Utility. You can make quick changes by passwording the profile. There's an idea we'll setup a mini-web server that'll host these configuration files too so we can chop and change them.

Personally, I'm keeping with my original iPad through the iPad 2 life and wait for the iPad 3 to drop . I love the fact I don't have to lug around my laptop everywhere in the house. I use it naked and keep it safe in a leather case. Nice to take around when travelling around. General web browsing, reading books, writing blogs etc; it's a very useful tool.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunster View Post
    I use it naked
    I won't even ask what for! lol. Once they hit 300 I may indulge for me personally, basic iPad has just hit 319.67 inc vat on ebuyer!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fathead View Post
    I won't even ask what for! lol. Once they hit 300 I may indulge for me personally, basic iPad has just hit 319.67 inc vat on ebuyer!
    I just realised what I typed. I mean't, the iPad is naked (without a cover). Don't see bulging the size with a huge case.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I've got Windows 7 with a touchscreen on my laptop - absolutely lovely to work with on the occasions I need a touchscreen. Have you tried it at all?
    Ah sorry, i should have clarified that by saying that (reportedly) Windows 7 on a touchscreen tablet/slate device is not so good - general problems with not being able to touch the edges of the screen, dragging&dropping not working properly (a fault of the touchscreen perhaps not W7), and remember reading someone's comments about it not looking good on a 7" screen and having resizing issues with the 800x600-something resolution.

Main thing for me too was W7 wasn't designed exactly for a touchscreen, whereas the iPad OS and Android both are.

There was a lot more to it that I can't recall right now, but it was off-putting enough to make me remember not to go down that route!
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 18th March 2011 at 03:33 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Windows 7 on a touchscreen is awful! I tested it on one of our old tablets and they are so far behind on the user interface side of things

Hopefully windows 8 will be better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Windows 7 on a touchscreen is awful! I tested it on one of our old tablets and they are so far behind on the user interface side of things

Hopefully windows 8 will be better.
    Or MS have the noddle to make a tablet OS from scratch. A desktop OS is never going to win any hearts.

The biggest issue going back to the OP; are there any education application writers making apps for the iOS devices? I know you don't have to install apps through the store as the iPhone Configuration Utility will allow to upload custom applications.

Thank Post
    Big old list of apps for education -

48 hours with an iPad 1-iphone-apps-education.pdf

Might be a little out of date....
    Last edited by CHR1S; 18th March 2011 at 04:12 PM.

17. 3 Thanks to CHR1S:

Butuz (21st March 2011), Pete10141748 (21st March 2011), Rydra (21st March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast