+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 48 hours with an iPad 1 in General; Originally Posted by Pete10141748 I was instructed by the Deputy Head yesterday to order 30 iPads so we can give ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    I was instructed by the Deputy Head yesterday to order 30 iPads so we can give 1 to each member of staff and give everyone a chance to see how they can integrate it into teaching&learning (which will then become a set of 30 that can be booked out after they have figured out good uses for it) so quite soon I will be getting one to use for a bit too, though at the speed of ordering around here I'll be playing with my own iPad2 before the school gets it's iPad1's!
    It just sounds like a solution looking for a problem - coughing up 15k just to see if people can find a valid use for them - that's nearly a techie's salary in these straightened times...

Thank Post
    Yup I know and that's why me and the Deputy Head have talked the Head out of doing this 2 times already since January, but she (the Head) is adamant that she wants them so we've just had to do it. It'll mostly be money down the drain, and just like the set of 24 PDA's that came before them they will be used by 1 or 2 people for a couple of things in the first term and then forgotten about, either because staff don't want the training hassle or there just is no use for them

You never know though, I might be proven wrong....... doubt it, but you never know.......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    that's what really irks me. working at an independant school now we are accountable for every single penny spent, if you dont need it, dont spend it. yet heads and bursars at state schools see it as "spend spend spend, because if we dont waste that 20k then the world will explode". its like they live in their own version of brewsters millions. knowing that there will always be another grant or scheme or initiative where the goverment will throw money at them to spend needlessly.

the fact you have talked someone out of it twice and they still plan on steamrollering this through shows their complete incompetence.

*and before anyone complains - i spent 9 years at a state school which wasted at least half a million on needless IT things, and millions more on crap around the school (shall we recarpet the halls every summer just because we need to spend the money - or how about 2k for an uplighter for every office)
    Last edited by MK-2; 17th March 2011 at 03:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    It isn't necessarily money down the drain if you have the infrastructure to support them. If you've always paid your MS tax like a good boy then re-designing a network for home user type devices is an uphill struggle. Once you have moved everyone to web based Office apps then things like ipads are simple to accommodate,

5. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

CHR1S (17th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It isn't necessarily money down the drain if you have the infrastructure to support them. If you've always paid your MS tax like a good boy then re-designing a network for home user type devices is an uphill struggle. Once you have moved everyone to web based Office apps then things like ipads are simple to accommodate,
    but unless that is in their development plan why should the whole school suffer for a headteachers shortsightedness?
    also as has been stated before, moving to web based cloud solutions aren't the be all and end all of it and make it all work magically

Thank Post
    I can never understand why you would buy something that is meant to be an internet friendly device that precludes you from viewing large portions of the internet?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    but unless that is in their development plan why should the whole school suffer for a headteachers shortsightedness?
    also as has been stated before, moving to web based cloud solutions aren't the be all and end all of it and make it all work magically
    I'm not disagreeing - If the head is forward thinking enough then they would have put the infrastructure in before the devices.
    I appreciate there are disadvantages to cloud computing, but you can mitigate against most of the problems like redundant links for less money than redundant servers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'm not disagreeing - If the head is forward thinking enough then they would have put the infrastructure in before the devices.
    I appreciate there are disadvantages to cloud computing, but you can mitigate against most of the problems like redundant links for less money than redundant servers.
    by the sounds of it, the head in question has no forward thinking (or thinking in general) and just wants the ipads in for a play, not for a specific reason. thats what annoys me.
    fair enough, if the infrastructure was in and they wanted ipads to enable mobile learning or something, great. but if they are spending 13k for a bunch of ipads to "play about" and then say "so can we use these or do we just let staff take them home to mess about on" is a total waste.

if there is no plan for these, they aren't needed. if all the kids are going to do is mess about on a touch device and play games, the question has to be asked why the head is asking for this money to be spent.

Thank Post
    There is no plan to change the network to accomodate the iPads, even if/when the staff figure out what to do with them the 'vision' (hah!) of the Head is that the iPads will be taken out into a class for 10-15 minutes for a certain specific activity using 1 or 2 apps and then put away again. They are not intended to become the primary focus or an all-singing-all-dancing resource of the school, just as something still-IT but slightly-different to keep the pupils interested and for the pupils to use now and again.

But yeah, overall I think they are going to go largely unused an be a great waste of money, especially as we are also getting 6 trolleys of laptops as well and that's what most teachers are going to want to use.

She has had the idea of the iPads put into her head by someone from the LEA, and from the people who have provided the funding to the school for these devices (the funding can be spent on *any* ICT device though), we were also advised to buy THREE Nintendo Wii's, are going to be getting a set of 32 Nintendo DSi's, and possibly some PSP's as well.....

And here I am thinking that school was meant for LEARNING things, evidentally it's actually for playing computer games on flashy devices......
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 17th March 2011 at 04:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Pete I feel for you. Our old place was like that.
    We had a delivery of 250 PDAs without any knowledge of the order and just got asked "so what can we do with them in class" once they were stacked in our office. When we said pretty much nothing it was then decided "could we lease them to the kids so they can use them to work at home", again negating the fact they cant actually do much.
    As far as I'm aware most were either "lost" when given to kids or never used.

Thank Post
    Yup same here, 24 PDA boxes stacked in my room was the first I knew of them, was asked if staff could use them for SIMS to do registers etc.
    The damn things can barely run the calender and clock features, God knows where they came from.

No-one ever asked about them again after the delivery day, think the current SLT doesn't even know we have them!

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Christ on a bike dont show those to petes head or he'll end up with an invoice for 60k dropping through his letter box!!!!

I have to admit at first when I saw petes post I was discusted - but now I am simply jealous that you guys in England still appear to have waaay more cash to spend on ICT than us in Wales.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Mate, were broke! I'm jealous too

Thank Post
    Looking at maybe getting a xoom for myself with some spare cash I'm expecting, anyone had a play yet?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast