+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Flo-Rida in General; Hi guys Off to Florida for a couple of weeks in 19 days time its my first time to the ...
    Thank Post

Flo-Rida

Hi guys

Off to Florida for a couple of weeks in 19 days time its my first time to the states and was just wondering if anyone had any useful tips/reminders/reccomendations?

cheers

Thank Post
    Don't give the security guys at the airport any lip!

When we went round Universal Studios, one of the guys on the gate noticed my wife was disabled and suggested we went round in the reverse direction. There were no queues at all and I got to star in a WWII movie.

Don't sit in the front seats at the Killer Whale performance, unless you want to drown.

Are you just going to Kissimmee? Where comfy shoes.

Have a great time, it is an experience everyone should try.
    Last edited by laserblazer; 16th March 2011 at 08:22 AM.

3. Thanks to laserblazer from:

kevbaz (17th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    While there, don't refer to Florida as 'America's Wang'.

5. 3 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

CHR1S (17th March 2011), kevbaz (17th March 2011), laserblazer (16th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    Hi guys

Off to Florida for a couple of weeks in 19 days time its my first time to the states and was just wondering if anyone had any useful tips/reminders/reccomendations?

cheers
    They drive on the other side of the road oh and they talk funny

Erm in the USA they have a big tipping culture, so expect to be tipping anyone who provides a service.
    Also i believe Airport security, TSA are a pain in the USA so make sure you have nothing on you that you shouldnt have.

Who are you flying with?

7. Thanks to FN-GM from:

kevbaz (17th March 2011)

rad
    Thank Post
    Go to the Disney stuff, you only live once and I believe it is much better than the Paris one.

21 years ago, was only a little kid so not much help, but we did do the Disney stuff and it was really good then.

9. Thanks to rad from:

kevbaz (17th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Were flying with US Airways and have one stop in Charlotte north Carolina

We have a car booked and have our disney and universal tickets to hand

Thank Post
    How old are you kids?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is some advice from my Dad: "If you can afford to take your kids to Disney World in Florida and don't, it's child abuse."

I'm inclined to agree, I had a great time there when I was younger.

13. Thanks to Fatmas from:

kevbaz (17th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    How old are you kids?
    We are the kids

there are 10 of us going which includes my 3 nephews who are 3, 5 and 13

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Remember to collect your AirMiles. With them you can get upgrade, free flights, extra baggage on any Star Alliance airline. These are the airline they can be used on - Star Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank Post
    On the practical side - take a 4-way extension and 1 uk-usa converter - that way you can charge lots of things at a time.

Make sure you change your phone to stop roaming before you land (no data use). The cost of mobile data is crazy. Some phone companies will put a cap on your use, worth checking.

If you manage to get to the odd bar, they'll usually start you a tab. Every few drinks they should give you a drink free (comp). That's one reason tipping well is expected.

Take ID with you if you're buying beer anywhere - even supermarkets. Supermarkets / shops will usually add a sales tax at the till on most goods.

If you're renting a villa, pay for the pool heating.

17. Thanks to steve from:

kevbaz (17th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Some shops you need your passport also when buying stuff specially if you use your credit card. Security is certainly very tight when you land in the US these guys have NO humour whatsoever and have the power to send you right back on the next plane if you don't play nice. Wait BEHIND the yellow line till they tell you to move. All that said once through you will have a fab trip. If your a tea drinker take teabags with you as most places have all the herbal teas and if your taste is bog basic tea take your own. Have to say the tipping thing always hacks me off a tad, (no one ever tips me for doing my job!) it's usually 10% of the final bill. ONLY cross the road at crossing points otherwise you could be done for jaywalking. Generally though the Americans are great on customer service and nothing is too much trouble. Have a great one

19. Thanks to ButterflyMoon from:

kevbaz (17th March 2011)

Thank Post
    I fly to the USA in 11 weeks, for 3 weeks! 1 week in LA, then to Vegas for a couple of nights then the rest of the trip in NY! Can't wait, never been USA too

Thank Post
    I went on holiday to Florida (our 2nd time) with my kids in December 2010, got back on Christmas Eve. Fantastic!

If you are staying at a hotel, and not fly-drive, use the i-ride trolley to get about International Drive. Kids under 12 are free, and they run approx every 30mins. The website also has discount vouchers you can print off and use at various shops or food outlets.
    I Ride Trolley

The family loved Friendly's on International Drive.
    Friendly’s - Where Ice Cream Makes the Meal

You can also use the Lynx Bus System. Cost around $2, can get you to the Florida Mall, Airport etc
    LYNX Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority

If you can afford it, do the Dolphin Swim at Discovery Cove. We purchased the Ultimate Pass, expensive, yes but besides giving you a full day at Discovery Cove with unlimited food and drink, you also get 2 weeks access to Sea World and Aquatica Water Park.
    SeaWorld

Check out The DIBB Forum, full of vast amount of information.
    Disney and Orlando, Florida Holiday Planning - theDIBB

Check out The UnderCover Tourist Website, for information of parks and attractions etc. You can also download an app for the iphone and Android which will show you realtime waiting times for the attractions.
    Disney World tickets discount, Free Disney iPhone app, Android, Disney wait times, Universal Studios tickets - Undercover Tourist

Maybe use a pre-paid debit card. I used the Dollar card from FairFX, just use it as cash. And always use the safe within your hotel (room) for all your valuables.
    Travel Money Card - Best Exchange Rates - FairFX Currency Card

Oh, you have applied for your ESTA?
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

A lot of hotels offer free Internet (if not within your room, within the lobby) or they have Internet cafes. So you can use your mobile (or BBM free on a BB) to speak to family at home etc. Alternatively, purchase a pre-paid telephone card (or a USA SIM Card).

Try and plan your days, using the weather forecast combined with info from UnderCover Tourist. And always plan a few days to do nothing (just chill around the pool etc). You will be doing a lot of walking around Disney / Universal. Take a ruck-sac, and put bottles,drinks or food in there. An alternative is to buy 1 or 2 drink beakers from Universal etc. They cost more initially (around $7 each) but refills are .79c. So pay for the refills, and decant into your empty drinks bottles.
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 17th March 2011 at 09:22 AM.

22. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

kevbaz (17th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Kennedy Space centre. Wow! Especially if there is some sort of launch while you are there. The worlds biggest firework...
    Looks like you are JUST too early. Shame.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 17th March 2011 at 09:30 AM.

24. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

kevbaz (17th March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information