+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Don't work with children or computers! in General; Guess how long it took someone to let his table know his Moodle password (having had the guard it with ...

Thank Post

Don't work with children or computers!

Guess how long it took someone to let his table know his Moodle password (having had the guard it with your life talk) - 50 secs.

Never mind - one less pupil to worry about for the lesson as he sat it out.

So I'd been asked to discuss 21st Century Communication as part of one of those special themed weeks you get from time to time in primaries.

So we had a zip through, smoke signals/tom tom drums/messengers/telegraph/post and telephones into mobiles/email/forums/sms/facebook etc (didn't bother with irc).

So got 34 netbooks out - 3 failed to get onto the network until reset. 3 more then locked up when they tried to access a netfolder - eventually all on t'internet and trying to logon to an web email using pupil1 pupil2 etc @someschool-pri.lancs.sch.uk password school - about half made it first time - another quarter on 2nd attempt and even I couldn't get pupil2 logon to work (even though it was used last week by year3 and no-one has reported any faults!) so the pupils just bunched up.

Whisked through that - about 3rd class managed to send/receive and email but time was running out and we moved onto forums.

About quarter of netbooks decided they'd had enough and wouldn't load the forum - so more bunching up

So after break - half the netbooks get taken into class6 next door and set up the 2 class teacher machines to use good ole netmeeting to video conf (as only free solution that I know of) that isn't blocked by the filters.

You'd think netmeeting would fly on a modern machine, 100 times the speed it was designed for, but no- broken pictures/sound but at least we got something

Then tried an inter-class discussion forum and more netbooks slowed to a snails pace - so more bunching up

Made it to 3:30 - by this time I didn't care anymore and the netbooks just went back in the trolley in any old order and I couldn't find one of the power leads!
    Time to switch careers again

Si

Thank Post
    It's at times like this when you realise what teachers can go through when using ICT to teach. I recommend all IT support staff take at least one lesson where ICT is required throughout. It's a pain in the ass.

I taught email once and the server was fine first lesson. Came to the 2nd lesson and no-one could send anything. Turned out that the SMTP service had failed and didn't restart. Took me about 15 minutes to sort out the issue.

3. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

SimpleSi (15th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Just one of those days then!

* Hands over the edugeek chocolate hobnob supply * You need these!

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

SimpleSi (15th March 2011)

Thank Post
    I recommend all IT support staff take at least one lesson where ICT is required throughout.
    You need more than one

I worked in the same school last week with year6 to prepare them for today - 3 laptops didn't want to know 1st time but after reboot were OK but today ....

I just wish there was a method to see at a glance which AP these computers are talking to (this is my Ruckus school!)

Si
    @elsie I ate a complete packet of fruity shortcake biscuits when I got home - who needs white powder for a fix!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    @elsie I ate a complete packet of fruity shortcake biscuits when I got home - who needs white powder for a fix!
    Better get another bulk order in!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread