View Poll Results: Would Edugeek be improved with the introduction of a news/breaking news forum?

Voters
16. This poll is closed
  • Yes

3 18.75%
  • No

13 81.25%
+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Suggestion For A New Forum in General; Before starting the Japanese Earthquake/Tsunami thread yesterday [Link: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/genera...s-issued.html] ] I was thinking which was the best forum for it ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries

Suggestion For A New Forum

Before starting the Japanese Earthquake/Tsunami thread yesterday [Link: Breaking News: Japan Hit By Large Earthquake: Tsunami Warnings Issued] I was thinking which was the best forum for it to go in.

I eventually put it in General Chat [this forum] but I thought that this was a poor match for the item as, I feel, it is not a 'General Chat' topic.

Therefore I suggest that a new forum should be created to cater for this need when similar events occur [or even when a news item (a non-IT News item) is of interest to Edugeek members]

What do others think?

Attaching a poll to this thread.

Thank Post
    Personally I think there's too many sub-forums on here already with some of them like Learning Network Manager and Physical security and many others hardly having any posts in them, some of the forums have zero posts in them, and forums still exist like the 'edugeek conference 2009' which is obviously way out of date and in my opinion should be archived somewhere other than the main forums.

I personally find it rather hard sometimes to find the appropreate forum for a post because the division between them is so specific sometimes. For example do we really need seperate forums for server 2003, server 2008 and server 2008 R2, can't it all be under 'windows server platform' with a drop down box on the thread title to tag threads with the appropreate version of the OS?

Just my thoughts.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,643 Posts
    I'm with maniac on this one... I think the forum list could do with a bit of house-keeping

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I'm with maniac on this one... I think the forum list could do with a bit of house-keeping
    OK. Fair enough. I still think that some kind of non-IT news forum would be of use. That was the original thrust of the question, not if we could consolidate pre-existing forums in a house-keeping exercise [though that may also prove useful]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the problems is that the general chat is used for general tech things, instead of just being general chat.

Personally I think there should be a General Geekery to cover general tech chat, tech / geek related posts that don't fit into other tech forums and keep general chat for the general discussions about the proof or lack of proof of $deity, the stupidity / fabulousness of particular celebrities, etc ...

Some of the specific sub-forums (for previous events) just need the names adjusting. Perhaps when someone spots a thread that shouldn't really be in a particular forum (eg Learning Network Manager ... which should not be archived off anyway) it could be mentioned to mods and subsequently moved? That might help a bit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agree with Tony. I often find posts that don't fit elsewhere, and end up feeling like General Chat is also the wrong place for them.

Thank Post
    I think DaveP should have his own folder

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Agree with Tony. I often find posts that don't fit elsewhere, and end up feeling like General Chat is also the wrong place for them.
    See ... this agreeing thing is contagious once you start ...

Now, repeat after me ... Fences are wonderful ... erm ... Tony? Why are you coming towards me with that axe?

Thank Post
    We really should have an Ironing Board

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    See ... this agreeing thing is contagious once you start ...

Now, repeat after me ... Fences are wonderful ... erm ... Tony? Why are you coming towards me with that axe?
    Its getting scary. Its like you've spent the last few years brainwashing me!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread