+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, What documentation do you keep? in General; What documentation do people keep? I've been working here a year and a bit now and have finally got some ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts

What documentation do you keep?

What documentation do people keep?

I've been working here a year and a bit now and have finally got some proper quiet time (touch wood!) to sit down and write out some documentation. I'm planning for the big red bus scenario in which we are all killed.

So far I have

1. All passwords (spreadsheet to be locked into school safe in a sealed envelope)
    2. All Server's there roles and also hard disk/parition info - there model number and approx age (i never purchased any of them!).

Also was going to make a list of all cabs around the school and where they feed.

Anything else critical i should be including?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    where the hidden stash is...........you know what i mean!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    where the hidden stash is...........you know what i mean!!!!
    no the hobknob stash is to only be known by those who know it!

Thank Post
    Everything, really.

System usernames and passwords (secured, of course), installation instructions, any particular fixes for certain things, records of any updates which break computers with specific configurations, roles of all servers, locations of shared drives, group purposes, which backup tapes contain what data. Of course, network paperwork is a big one. We have the whole school mapped out, showing port and cabinet locations, as well as spreadsheets containing details of patch panel and switch ports and how they're all linked up. Very in-depth; it would be quite easy to walk in to this school and pick it all up quite easily, I think. One thing I haven't documented is what our large number of scripts do, but it's something I'd like to make a note of somewhere and perhaps split some of them up to highlight the different functions.

We also have a complete asset database which is good for having model numbers, Windows licence details, location and in the event of laptops and other portable devices, who they are assigned to.

Oh, almost forgot the important one. Number of tea bags remaining. Can't ever let that one get too low.

Thank Post
    i don't supply the teabags! I think the map of the school with cuboard locations is a big one - I'll try and get a map of the school of somebody and plot them out!

Thank Post
    We have to supply our own if we want a decent cup of tea! Although, to be fair, the school has upgraded to Typhoo now which makes it at least drinkable if we run out of our beloved Twinings Everyday, but there's still a world of difference...

Anyway, having everything mapped out is a huge help, I've found. We don't have all of our network ports connected up because of limits on switch space, so when someone comes in complaining that their laptop doesn't work in room X, I can ask them which port they are plugging in to and quickly glance at the map to either tell them that they need to use the other one or else get out my test kit and go to check. It also helped us when we had some bright spark connect one port to another in a classroom (we haven't been able to implement any network monitoring software) so it was quite easy cut off cabs one-by-one to work out the rough location of the issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeaton View Post
    We have to supply our own if we want a decent cup of tea!
    the boss buys all the teabags in the industrial size packets and we never run out!

I'm more thinking of just there general location of cabs as we have so many cabs hidden in tiny cuboards here there any everywhere!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread