+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Interview questions for Head of IT. in General; I was hearing a tale from a Head of IT the other week about their Network Manager - they were ...

Thank Post
    I was hearing a tale from a Head of IT the other week about their Network Manager - they were looking at resources with our Head of IT and talked about Scratch. This person said their NM wouldn't install Scratch for them as "it was dangerous and gave students access to network drives". Now to me Scratch is fairly good bit of software and is refered to in a lot of curriculum materials. We've installed it without issue and I guess many others have. I was amazed that nothing had been done about this as the Head of IT clearly needed a valid resource (which doesn't seem to present any real issues on the network).

So the question I would ask an incoming Head of IT is how they would go about approaching such an issue and how they would come to a solution.

Such a question might give you a good insight into how you and they would get on.

Thank Post
    scratch is a strange one; it seems to ignore windows security on folders and allows access to drives/areas that are normally blocked by policy.... I noticed that 2 odd years ago.

Question: When looking at how to spend departmental money, would you rather spend the majority of it on teaching resources (eg, IWB/new teacher laptop/visualisers), student resources (new machines, collaborative tools, new software, workspace improvements), or something else, and a reason why you would spend it?

Thank Post
    If scratch ignores ntfs security then you could be quite right to not install it. What if one of the kids writes a program to delete all admin data or copy answers to homework assignments?

Thank Post
    The latest version of scratch has closed this security hole.

Thank Post
    Then that would be a good test on how up to date their knowledge is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    And be careful if you ask a question from a forum from a relatively unknown member as you might find that you get a text book answer from one of the candidates (A friend put forward a Q to use in interviews only to find he was asked it 4 weeks later at a job interview! He was a happy chappy ... but did cough up in the end, which the school was even more happy to have someone who contributed to collaborative groups)
    Looks back up the thread

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Q1 - do you know a damned thing about IT or are you a geography teacher who "just had an interest in computers" and got labelled geeky so thought it might be good to play about with computers a bit more

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Then that would be a good test on how up to date their knowledge is.
    Does this mean I get the job?

Thank Post
    how often will you come and annoy me pointless and stupid questions?

Thank Post
    Ask about cross curricular i.e. how he/she may encourage other head of subjects to embed ICT into their subjects or how they may embed other subjects into ICT. <-- my wording is pretty poor. Sleepless nights at present but you get the drift.

What are their opinions of embedding various ICT certifications for students, i.e. ecdl, MOS, Clait, etc. within their general teaching of the subject.

Focus less on what they would recommend with regards to technology as that's your job, they should be more concerned about how to teach it - thats not to say that you cant ask a few technical questions i.e. what does URL/URI, HTTP, FTP, stand for as well maybe some basic troubleshooting/classroom management questions such as a pupil tries to access Internet Explorer and gets a page cannot be displayed page when trying to access ww.gogle.com what do you do? or: a pupil complains that their PC is showing a blue screen, what do you do? Ideally you'd want the interviewee to get them to either use a different search engine / ensure spelling of the url is correct, and switch it off and on again and if it's still a prob call a technician. If their first choice is call you/techies dont hire them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12