+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Pancakefest!!! in General; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 I agree that pancakes and Easter pre-date Christianity, but Shrove Tuesday... and cooking pancakes on that ...

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I agree that pancakes and Easter pre-date Christianity, but Shrove Tuesday... and cooking pancakes on that particular day... is a tradition of the Christian Easter festival. People are therefore going along with a religion that they don't necessarily believe in. These people are probably giving and receiving presents on December 25th too.

I'm not saying they're wrong, just wondering if the Jedi/Atheist/... among them realise what they are doing!
    But the point is, Christianity in it's many forms, adopted existing traditions & moved Christ's birthday to an existing Pagan festival. That's just the thin end. Why therefore can't non-Christians and existing Pagan continue or adopt 'So-called Christian Celebrations' to suit. What I'm suggesting a a nice diverse non secular, happy world, where no one owns a day (except Martin Luther King Jr :-) )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    can someone post me a recipe for some english pancakes please?

and @GeeHub, Im sure in Scotland pancake batter fried bacon rolls have been attempted somewhere
    Basic Pancakes with Sugar and Lemon - Pancakes - Recipes - from Delia Online

3. Thanks to creese from:

RabbieBurns (9th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I agree that pancakes and Easter pre-date Christianity, but Shrove Tuesday... and cooking pancakes on that particular day... is a tradition of the Christian Easter festival. People are therefore going along with a religion that they don't necessarily believe in. These people are probably giving and receiving presents on December 25th too.

I'm not saying they're wrong, just wondering if the Jedi/Atheist/... among them realise what they are doing!
    Woah there old friend - do Christians realise or care that most of their celebrations, INCLUDING CHRISTMAS, predate their religion and it is quite probable that people exchanged tokens around the winter solstice or whilst worshiping Mithras - who was
    a god of light who struggled against the powers of darkness and could raise people from the dead. He has been borrowed from Zorastrians - do you think christians know that???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Woah there old friend - do Christians realise or care that most of their celebrations, INCLUDING CHRISTMAS, predate their religion and it is quite probable that people exchanged tokens around the winter solstice or whilst worshiping Mithras - who was
    a god of light who struggled against the powers of darkness and could raise people from the dead. He has been borrowed from Zorastrians - do you think christians know that???
    Careful, I hear mutterings of 'burn the witch' and the ducking stool being greased up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Careful, I hear mutterings of 'burn the witch' and the ducking stool being greased up.
    Ohh - really scared - NOT!
    I think that any opportunity for a bit of fun should be taken if possible - Life's miserable enough. I shall be celebrating Diwali, Hannukah and any other festival that crosses my path....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Ohh - really scared - NOT!
    I think that any opportunity for a bit of fun should be taken if possible - Life's miserable enough. I shall be celebrating Diwali, Hannukah and any other festival that crosses my path....
    Too right. The grandchildren let off those Chinese lanterns on what would have been my Mum's birthday last year. Neither they nor her are/were Chinese. Let's make the world smaller not more divided.

Thank Post
    We had pancakes, Isabel had a nom on mine, then ran round the kitchen going "pfft", and wiping her tongue..she's not smitten. Heh.

Then we put the rest of the batter to good use and make a HUGE toad in the hole for tea. Yum!

Thank Post
    Had 6 mates round for P-Day yesterday, and some of the pancakes we created were simply awesome!
    We had pancakes with;

Cheddar cheese and smoked ham
    Brie and Cranberry Jam
    Marshmallow, Strawberry sauce and white choc chips
    A Guinness pancake (literally made with batter mix and a can of Guinness!)
    Haagan Das cookies&ice cream + choc sauce
    White chocolate spread with dark chocolate chips
    Duck, plum sauce and spring onions
    I cracked open and spread 1 Cadbury's Creme Egg over one which then melted a little bit

Though the last one was the most extreme, we made it like a pizza (so open-faced not rolled up) in a wok so it was huge (we all had a piece!) using white choc spread as a base, with choc sauce over that, marshmallows, dark choc chips, white choc chips, hundreds&thousands, orange&lemon jelly pieces, dolly mixture, a few jelly babies, some melted Galaxy choc, and another Creme Egg cracked over the top of it.

So, so, SO sickly, and felt dreadful afterwards, but IT. WAS. AWESOME.
    Sadly I forgot to get a picture before we tucked in

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Had 6 mates round for P-Day yesterday, and some of the pancakes we created were simply awesome!
    We had pancakes with;

Cheddar cheese and smoked ham
    Brie and Cranberry Jam
    Marshmallow, Strawberry sauce and white choc chips
    A Guinness pancake (literally made with batter mix and a can of Guinness!)
    Haagan Das cookies&ice cream + choc sauce
    White chocolate spread with dark chocolate chips
    Duck, plum sauce and spring onions
    I cracked open and spread 1 Cadbury's Creme Egg over one which then melted a little bit

Though the last one was the most extreme, we made it like a pizza (so open-faced not rolled up) in a wok so it was huge (we all had a piece!) using white choc spread as a base, with choc sauce over that, marshmallows, dark choc chips, white choc chips, hundreds&thousands, orange&lemon jelly pieces, dolly mixture, a few jelly babies, some melted Galaxy choc, and another Creme Egg cracked over the top of it.

So, so, SO sickly, and felt dreadful afterwards, but IT. WAS. AWESOME.
    Sadly I forgot to get a picture before we tucked in
    Sounds pretty immense! We also used some in a waffle maker (a textered george foreman grill) we brought from lidl for under 10 they were lovely!

Came with a little book of ideas which I plan to try this weekend, ginger waffles (add a little stem ginger into the mix)

Thank Post
    Still feeling the effects of all the sugar today lol lunch was an apple and a pear and I feel stuffed are just that! :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information