+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Pancakefest!!! in General; Originally Posted by maniac Forgot it was pancake day today, tescos just down the road thou so I shall go ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Forgot it was pancake day today, tescos just down the road thou so I shall go and buy the necessary bits when I finished this particularly tasty bacon sandwich.
    Hmmmm. Brown sauce or ketchup with your bacon sarnie? Ooh I wonder if you could coat the bacon sandwich in pancake batter and then fry it........ That'd make an interesting filling for a pancake.....

Thank Post
    Brown sauce of course.

Now there's an interesting idea, I have however finished the pancakes now as well. Me and my lodger had differing opinions on the best way of cooking them mind, so we did some his way and some mine. Mine are of course nicer, a fact he fearcely disputes

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    I was just wondering how many of those indulging in the Christian Shrove Tuesday tradition of pancakes will put themselves down as Christian on the census. Like Christmas, the Christian Easter festival has been hijacked.

Thank Post
    I made over 40 of the things last night for young people at our youth centre. some of the things there were putting on them were weird. jam and nutella was one combination. I personally just like a knob of salted butter. omm nom nom. we made the batter in a large washing bowl but we couldn't mix from raw ingredients due to allergies present so had to use a gultin and wheat free mix.

I agree it's a shame that people don't realise where the tradition comes from or why it's done. I'm in a catholic school, but as far as i know we didn't have pancakes here or teach the students about the meaning of the day. Shame really but hey ho - tho's Christians (or was it the Jews?) came up with what i call a tasty meal.

Thank Post
    Nutella mjs-mjs?? Presumably none of the allergies present were nut related then! Wonder if Peanut Butter would make an acceptable filling? Though all I need to enjoy Peanut Butter is a spoon.....

@ maniac I would be interested to know what the different ways of cooking a pancake are. I can only think of one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeHubb View Post
    Nutella mjs-mjs?? Presumably none of the allergies present were nut related then!
    not to my knowledge - tho to be fair we didn't put any topping on the pancakes - they did that themselves so i think they'd know if there were allergic not to use it.

Thank Post
    As it's the day after, I think it's now time for the traditional bragging of "I managed to eat X pancakes!". When I was in school, the day after pancake day, everyone would compare numbers and brag about how many pancakes they polished off!

I did not keep track when I made them last night but estimate I ended up polishing off somewhere between 8-10. Switching between Sugar & Lemon and Maple Syrup toppings!

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I was just wondering how many of those indulging in the Christian Shrove Tuesday tradition of pancakes will put themselves down as Christian on the census. Like Christmas, the Christian Easter festival has been hijacked.
    You don't go with the theory that Christians hijacked existing traditions to remain popular then? Pancakes predate christianity by many centuries as a simple food. As for Easter Eggs... :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Christian Easter Festival?? What of Eastre, who was the goddess of fertility and responsible for all those eggs? Not Christian, I don't think!
    Many Christian festivals have their roots in much earlier celebrations - so I don't think that people who celebrate pancake day can be accused of following a purely Christian tradition, any more than a Christian who has a yule log, holly and ivy at Christmas would consider themselves pagan

http://relijournal.com/christianity/...-christianity/
    Last edited by witch; 9th March 2011 at 09:32 AM.

10. Thanks to witch from:

RabbieBurns (9th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    But the packet mix is so much easier, you put it in a bowl with the liquid and mix, whereas you have to put ingredients in a bowl and ...
    Pancake mix? What's wrong with pre-made microwave ones? Much less hassle!

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Christian Easter Festival?? What of Eastre, who was the goddess of fertility and responsible for all those eggs? Not Christian, I don't think!
    Isn't Shrove Tuesday to eat up all those eggs that one shouldn't be indulging in during Lent, though?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well I only ate 2, not thinking with my eyes this time!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post

Isn't Shrove Tuesday to eat up all those eggs that one shouldn't be indulging in during Lent, though?
    Yes, my point was that we all follow each other's traditions so the fact that Lent is a Christian festival doesn't matter as they celebrate quite a few pagan festivals!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    You don't go with the theory that Christians hijacked existing traditions to remain popular then? Pancakes predate christianity by many centuries as a simple food. As for Easter Eggs... :-)
    Many Christian festivals have their roots in much earlier celebrations - so I don't think that people who celebrate pancake day can be accused of following a purely Christian tradition, any more than a Christian who has a yule log, holly and ivy at Christmas would consider themselves pagan

Borrowed Pagan Traditions of Christianity | Relijournal
    I agree that pancakes and Easter pre-date Christianity, but Shrove Tuesday... and cooking pancakes on that particular day... is a tradition of the Christian Easter festival. People are therefore going along with a religion that they don't necessarily believe in. These people are probably giving and receiving presents on December 25th too.

I'm not saying they're wrong, just wondering if the Jedi/Atheist/... among them realise what they are doing!

Thank Post
    Yes, my point was that we all follow each other's traditions so the fact that Lent is a Christian festival doesn't matter as they celebrate quite a few pagan festivals!
    I guess that depends on whether people are one of the "all religion is BAD" types (in which case surely they should eschew Christmas presents, Easter eggs and most Bank Holidays) or a bit more laissez-faire about what people choose to believe in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    can someone post me a recipe for some english pancakes please?

and @GeeHub, Im sure in Scotland pancake batter fried bacon rolls have been attempted somewhere

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information