+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
General Chat Thread, Live@Edu - Active Directory 'contacts' support? in General; This is a quick question for those of you who use Live@Edu. I understand that it integrates with your AD ...
  1. #1

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,125
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,974 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875

    Live@Edu - Active Directory 'contacts' support?

    This is a quick question for those of you who use Live@Edu.

    I understand that it integrates with your AD which is fine, but does it pick up 'contact' records from your AD, or is there a way of importing them into a global address list?

    The reason being, our LEA has a large global address list of every member of staff in the county, plus county departments etc... If we were to move away from their email system, we would need to be able to get that list from them and import it into our system.

    If we run our own exchange servers, we can do this using a piece of software they already have in place for other such schools (it works by exporting all the email details into 'Contact' objects in the AD, but I would love to know if it is possible with Live@Edu.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Hi

    You can export your contact details into CSV and then bulk import them into Live@Edu and Synch.

    See http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd...(classic).aspx

    Regards
    Sukh
    Last edited by sukh; 8th March 2011 at 03:23 PM.

  3. #3

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,125
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,974 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Hi, sorry but how do I do a csv export from an exchange GAL? Also, that site talks of provisioning users, not populating a contacts list.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Hi

    The site provisons users which includes getting user information from your directory (Users objects and Contacts).

    To export Contacts from your directory use LDIF/CSVDE which you can use.

    Do you have your own Exchange Org seperate from LEA or do you share?

    Thanks
    Sukh

  5. #5

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,125
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,974 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Hi

    The site provisons users which includes getting user information from your directory (Users objects and Contacts).

    To export Contacts from your directory use LDIF/CSVDE which you can use.

    Do you have your own Exchange Org seperate from LEA or do you share?

    Thanks
    Sukh
    Its an LEA system which we have no contact with other than users logging into Outlook and OWA.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Hi

    In that case you have the option to either synch some of users or manually upload a CSV file with all your users in there.

    Do you have your own directory? A child domain? A resource directory?

    Thanks
    Sukh

  7. #7


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    can you do an ldap query?

  8. #8

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,125
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,974 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    We have a separate domain. We can't do an ldap query on that domain, but what we can do is sign up to their joiner software and it will export all contacts into an OU structure in our domain, so we can then do with that whatever we want.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Hi

    @CyberNerd

    Please see Decide How to Provision Users

    If not clear then let me know.

    Thanks
    Sukh

  10. #10


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We have a separate domain. We can't do an ldap query on that domain, but what we can do is sign up to their joiner software and it will export all contacts into an OU structure in our domain, so we can then do with that whatever we want.
    ok, once you've done that the ldap is a oneliner.

    ldapsearch -D "cn=ldap,cn=users,dc=example,dc=college,dc=interna l" -w password "(objectclass=contact)" | grep mail

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Hi

    When you mean you have a seperat domain, do you mean a seperate domain in your own root directory or a child domain in the LEA directory?

    Regards
    Sukh

  12. #12

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,125
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,974 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Hi

    When you mean you have a seperat domain, do you mean a seperate domain in your own root directory or a child domain in the LEA directory?

    Regards
    Sukh
    Separate root. ie. we are completely independent from them.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,144
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 326 Times in 316 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Hi

    So, I assume your goal is to get a list of all contacts from the LEA GAL? Or particular users? Particular address lists? Or everything?

    I assume there is a one-way trust only?

    Also, if you were to get this list, have you thought about how maintain this if new staff were added or removed from the LEA GAL?

    Regards
    Sukh

  14. #14


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Hi

    @CyberNerd

    Please see Decide How to Provision Users

    If not clear then let me know.

    Thanks
    Sukh
    sounds like a proper PiTA. At least google apps will sync shared contacts from and active directory.

  15. #15

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,125
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,974 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Hi

    So, I assume your goal is to get a list of all contacts from the LEA GAL? Or particular users? Particular address lists? Or everything?

    I assume there is a one-way trust only?

    Also, if you were to get this list, have you thought about how maintain this if new staff were added or removed from the LEA GAL?

    Regards
    Sukh
    It'd be all contacts from the GAL. And there are no trusts involved at all. The systems are 100% independent of each other.

    We would need to be able to repeat the process at regular intervals to update our own list.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31st May 2011, 08:05 AM
  2. Has anyone linked their microsoft live@edu email to their active directory?
    By reggiep in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd December 2010, 11:01 AM
  3. Icon Transparency using Active Directory and Active Desktop Backgrounds
    By steveo2000 in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th May 2010, 09:50 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th April 2009, 10:26 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31st January 2008, 12:17 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •