+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Urgh ! The Pox be upon us ! in General; , Friday evening, and my little Bethany had some spots appear, by Sunday she was covered, literally covered from head ...
    Thank Post

Urgh ! The Pox be upon us !

, Friday evening, and my little Bethany had some spots appear, by Sunday she was covered, literally covered from head to foot in festering red spots. Yup...my poor 13month old has been struck with chickenpox.

Ridiculous that in 2007 we still get chickenpox, but nevertheless she has it. Conveniently I had monday booked off, which given my lack of sleep since friday is just as well. I think I have managed a total of 8 hours sleep since friday. No amount of calamine lotion or piritan syrup seems to abate her itching. She whines in discomfort virtually non stop all through the night, and all in all she looks terribly miserable, which for a 13 month old who previously constantly grinned, laughed and smiled is very noticeable.

I guess it could be next weekend before the pox has finally gone, people continually say to me "better to have it now than later", true that might be, but it sure doesnt feel like it on 8 hours of sleep in 4 days and a distraught little one !

Thank Post

Re: Urgh ! The Pox be upon us !

sorry to read that Jake. You just feel so helpless in those situations. I hope it's all over and done with quickly.

Thank Post

Yeah, got the right word there, Helpless. You do really feel that way. I'm hoping it all passes swiftly too, though I suspect I have another week of it to go yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I think the tradition is to invite other parents and babies around for a pox party so you all suffer together

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    I think the tradition is to invite other parents and babies around for a pox party so you all suffer together :)
    you english are so quaint!

Thank Post

I thought that was the best thing to do - make sure they all get it early because it is awful otherwise. I can still remember the pain of having chickenpox at 2 or 3.

I also had shingles which is chickenpox after you've already had it and that is nothing - no pain or discomfort but I did get a week off school!

Thank Post

The spots have all dried up now, gone a bit scabby, so hopefully that means we are through the worst of it. She has lost so much weight over the last 5 days too as a result of it, everything she ate just came straight back up , so she has barely eaten.

Just looking forward to them going and getting her back to her normal healthy self again now

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts

When my oldest got it [ when he was about 4 ] we made sure his brother [ 2 at the time ] played with him LOTS. He got it within a week or so afterwards which was good. Get it out of the way early.

Thank Post

I had them at 30 and i can tell you it was not the nicest 3 weeks of my life. Good diet though because i could only eat yoghurt for the first week.

The worst bit was haveing them on my face and not being able to shave. I lloked more like a leper.

On the plus side i suppose at 30 i can understand what is happening, unlike you poor baby.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Ridiculous that in 2007 we still get chickenpox
    Probably the cost of the infection, which if it occurs in childhood provides immunization in adulthood, is less than the cost of the vaccine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information