+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, New build with hard hat in General; Anyone been involved in a new build, and I mean a network manager of an old site on the new ...
    Thank Post

New build with hard hat

Anyone been involved in a new build, and I mean a network manager of an old site on the new site with yellow jacket and hard hat?
    Any thoughts would be good

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Get Atleast 30 rj45 points in every room with 1gb connection...that way it dnt matter where you put the ict suites. Lol

Thank Post
    Yes did it countless times, good job I did becuase a lot of stuff that was agreed on the plans hadn't been done. It was only on the long walk rounds that I picked up stuff that was missing / in the wrong place, and then was able to get it sorted before the contractors were off site.

Some areas of the build you won't be able to access untill very late on, so it is important to build up a good relationship with the LA Project Manager (they are supposed to look out for the school / LA), which ours did.

Make sure there is enough power points to each network point (e.g. for scanners / speakers), also where the teachers desk will go in relation to the IWBs. You need to go in to every detail, otherwise you will find that things are out of place (we even checked radiators weren't going to be under interactive whiteboard). I was also involved in the furniture layouts, so I could makes sure the locations worked, also blinds, so I could make sure rooms had blackout blinds where needed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We're in the middle of 2 new buildings going up at the moment (only small scale stuff though - 5 rooms total), and I was involved with the cabling their.

Our experience has been a mixed one - my cablers did their job well, but the communication between them, the electrical engineering company and the building company wasn't great - plans went missing, a conduit wasn't in place in time, in-wall sockets haven't been put in etc...

Its a fair amount of work to make sure everything is going in the right place all the time - towards the end of the build, you'll want to be there checking things regularly, as once they do things like plastering, you're SOL when it comes to putting things right.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    On the 2 new buildings we've had built recently well in the last 6 years or so I was more involved in the second one plenty of site visits and communications going on to make sure things were how I wanted and we are having another new build atm.

Ben

Thank Post
    Make sure if your asked to provide any advice/requirements on room specs etc that you are in the loop for any additional correspondance. I've also had a similar experience to localzuk, I had people come and see me about where they were supposed to be installing cable runs only to find out they were working from old plans (and they had already installed a couple of rooms). Apparently changes that had been made to the architects had not been passed on and this happened for a few rooms.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread