+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, About to rebuild PC... in General; For some reason, rebuilding my home PC always puts heart in mouth for that time between rebooting and Windows finally ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

About to rebuild PC...

For some reason, rebuilding my home PC always puts heart in mouth for that time between rebooting and Windows finally popping up... don't know why!!!

Rebuilding Win 7 64bit to clear off the crap and any pesky viruses (had System Tool virus couple of weeks back).

I want to say wish me luck, but I would hold my head in shame with the expert company on here!

Thank Post
    Good luck and remember to check the backup incase gremlins hit the rebuild.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to Stuart for pointing out the correct tag:

#educhamp!

Success and complete, now the boring task of reinstalling software... just what I need this time, not everything I can lay my hands on!

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    For some reason, rebuilding my home PC always puts heart in mouth for that time between rebooting and Windows finally popping up... don't know why!!!

Rebuilding Win 7 64bit to clear off the crap and any pesky viruses (had System Tool virus couple of weeks back).

I want to say wish me luck, but I would hold my head in shame with the expert company on here!
    It's completely heart-stopping working on stuff you own, even when doing tasks you do every day at work. Somehow the whatifs seem so much more serious!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Used to do it every fortnight just for the sake of it, but that was back in the days of Win98 when it really was worth it
    Need to rebuild mine but that's mostly just to clear out the absolute junk that has collated over the years. Holding off until I get my SSD next week though which raises a new problem: can I possibly keep the OS partition under 60GB?
    Users (only myself and t'wife) profiles and documents are on another drive, applications are installed to another drive - but the amount of pure crap that actually insists on installing to C: is shocking :|

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @GREED:

Once you have everything the way you want it I would advise that you get yourself a copy of acronis home image and take an image of your computer and keep it on a portable HDD so when you want to restore it you just use the restore part from the CD boot menu 10 mins and your back in action.

Even my dad who is 82 can use it and he swears by it.

You can also increment the image as you add more apps or better still take another snapshot with a different date.

Have fun

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cheers Bossman I will look at that. Already going to take a system image using windows tools when everything is installed and running.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    can't remember when I last did a home system rebuild. used to have to do it every 6month in the winXP days. Now I'm on linux I just never seem to need to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @CyberNerd:

Only system build I have done for myself is 2 years ago and this is it Windows 7 Ultimate with office 2010 to be honest it has been excellent. Of course I have an image of it if I ever needed to restore it back to its premium self.

I also have another laptop with latest Ubuntu on, have also tried the new version of MINT distro absolutely recommend it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    I keep asking for shockwave to be added but no go so far..

As for home PC rebuilding, I always worry I will lose some thing, like my Steam account details... I had a ton of games but because I cant remember the exact email address I used and didnt take note of any CD keys im pretty much screwed...

Thank Post
    Rebuilt mine not too long ago due to viruses & hacked iTunes account! Backed up my important stuff to my NAS and reinstalled EVERYTHING. Did not know that there is a image backup tool in Win 7 so took a complete image once everything had been done and it's now sitting on my USB drive. If I get issues in the future, restore them image.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Rebuilt mine not too long ago due to viruses & hacked iTunes account! Backed up my important stuff to my NAS and reinstalled EVERYTHING. Did not know that there is a image backup tool in Win 7 so took a complete image once everything had been done and it's now sitting on my USB drive. If I get issues in the future, restore them image.
    if you have a nas it can do weekly image backups to the nas automagically though a base image isnt a bad idea as well

Thank Post
    I'm happy just backing up my vital stuff on the NAS (pics, docs, movies, music etc) and having a base image to restore to. It's no big deal having to re-install the additional odd application or two that's been installed since the base image.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    After the second rebuild I finally got everything on the right track. Unbeknownst to me, SQL can be a pain in the bottom. I use Business Contact Manager with outlook 2010 to store all my accounts, passwords, etc etc etc. So very important that I keep that going. It uses SQL 2008 express as an automates setup, but I like to play with SQL, so wanted to upgrade to SQL 2008 R2 standard (I have a student licence through DreamSpark). Because it is an automated setup, I don't have access to the sa account, so is virtually impossible to use long term even upgraded... ended up creating new instance, transferring and ditching the old.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread