+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Whats going to happen to all those iOS apps on July 30th? in General; I use a lot of apps on the various iOS devices but I am concerned that apples new policies will ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries

Whats going to happen to all those iOS apps on July 30th?

I use a lot of apps on the various iOS devices but I am concerned that apples new policies will see a rapid removal of needed apps.
    If you dont know about what happens on July 30th have a read of Just how is Apple's App Store subscription policy good for users? [Updated] – Telegraph Blogs for a little bit of the choices apps have.
    So far apps currently installed on my iphone (there will be more but not installed currently) that will be removed unless they pay apple 30% of their subscription:

Dropbox
    WoW Remote AH (I used to use it)
    Last.FM
    Spotify
    Server Density
    Woopra
    LinkedIN
    XMarks
    LastPass
    Skype (probably affected)
    Kindle
    Sky Player (dont use though)
    iPlayer App (international will charge)
    Various accounts apps that link to paid subscription sites.

Those are ones I have actually got installed, things like real (us), netflix (us but I bet there wont be a lovefilm app now), salesforce/sugar apps will also be on the hook.

This is an example of Apple being bad tbh and I think its short sighted. If anything this means all those dev's will look to move platforms if not exclusively certainly to pay less tax per customer. Real have said they wont lose 30% as they cant afford it and last.fm is considering the same. Spotify probably doesnt even have a 30% margin themselves so its probably a goner. Also due to Steve being Steve if app devs added 30% on to their subscription for iOS users they have to do it to all on ANY platform as the iOS price has to be the cheapest....
    Apple takes 30% and has none of the costs in providing the content, this is bad for all.
    If half those apps jump ship so will I especially spotify which I cant live without now.
    If apple had said publishers of mags had to pay, fair enough, they save a large % by not using normal distro but streaming music, thats just to remove competition until apple does it themselves.

This apple policy is bad for all, if you have any apps that require a sub or purchase outside the app they are on the hook too. Please list them below.

NOTE: as the policy is not *live* yet apple may change their mind, we can hope....
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 4th March 2011 at 04:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Worrying times. It's not as if Apple exactly need the money now is it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Google: do no evil
    Apple: do only evil

Thank Post
    To be fair... all this talk of app subs and the rather bizarre lack of consistency in policies is helping me make up my mind regarding the future phones I choose... Just glad I'm only now approaching the end of contract or I'd be sorely unamused..

IME though Apple won't care, most of the users won't care unless their chosen app' disappears (and apple will blame the developers anyway) so they'll blame them too..

Wonder if we'll be looking at Apple in 5 years time and wondering how they divebombed so spectacularly or if it'll all blow over in pretty device = happy customer world... We'll see...

Thank Post
    If Microsoft were doing this, all the Apple fans would be all over it, and then so would courts, comissions and everyone else who seems to hate a large company for being large.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    If Microsoft were doing this, all the Apple fans would be all over it, and then so would courts, comissions and everyone else who seems to hate a large company for being large.
    i believe its been investigated but i doubt owt will happen but it may hasten app developers to develop for android before and leave ios further down the priority list or even abandon it as if apple take 30% gross they need to be making a high percentage just to break even so either put up orices (which you cant do and have the app listed) or just dont bother

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have heard numerous rumours apple has been blocking spotify getting licensing in the US, this is a simpler method before they launch their own product.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Well, it might be a happy day for us Android users, maybe the devs will focus more efforts in to developing for us now

I've posted this in another thread, but I think it's relevant and amusing here too:

9. 3 Thanks to LosOjos:

reprised (6th March 2011), Robz (5th March 2011), sted (4th March 2011)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    More reason for me to not trust Apple kit then. You pay for something then they take it away on a whim with the cheek to lock you in.

What really took the biscuit was trying again to get Exchange working on a teacher's old MacBook. "Oh I think you need Outlook. Do you have it? There it is in your Programs list!" Bam, full page advert in the browser from Apple to buy a full copy of Office for Mac. :/

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is why I think Apple is eventually going to ruin the computer for everyone if it is left to brainwash the masses unchecked. Not only is everything heavilly charged for but they are now even charging people to provide services. Applications must be regulated by them and at some point in the future if you want software to be avalible on the Mac aswell the dev will have to submit to Apple setting the price, how it looks, distriibution channels and will levy a 30% charge on top untill they either replicate it internally and crush its competition with lawyers or by simply locking them out.

It does force me to admit that Apple can be innovative, it must have some of the best, morally devoid lawyers in existance.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread