+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Copyright Audit in General; Just been told to expect a copyright audit... What the hell is one of those? Anyone been through one before?...

Thank Post

Copyright Audit

Just been told to expect a copyright audit...

What the hell is one of those?

Anyone been through one before?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Umm...

It's supposed to help you go through and work out which bits of intellectual property you have that you should be protecting, but aren't.

I don't really see how it'd benefit a school, unless someone wants to start copyrighting their own lesson plans to prevent others from using them. Do you have some sort of super-important process or bit of intellectual property which could be commercially sold?

Edit: Might end up being one of the shortest audits ever recorded.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Erm. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there jamesb. Copyright audits are usually checks to ensure you have licenses to use the things you use. eg. check that you aren't breaching anyone's copyright.

Thank Post
    Depends on who it is by. I remember a while back BSA or FAST were mailing out letters saying they were going to be auditing you and the advice was to ignore it, not let them in, they had no power or authority. Make sure you are covered obviously but don't entertain these groups that are mainly out for headlines to scare others by. I'll see if I can dig up the article I was reading.

5. 2 Thanks to TechMonkey:

CHR1S (3rd March 2011), laserblazer (3rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Erm. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there jamesb. Copyright audits are usually checks to ensure you have licenses to use the things you use. eg. check that you aren't breaching anyone's copyright.
    Isn't that a licensing audit? Last copyright audit I suffered through was about deciding what to try and enforce copyright on, licensing audits are a different matter. Probably the terms are used to mean the same thing in different areas.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It depends on who is doing it ... copyright audit can take three forms.
    1 - solely looking to protect the assets of the school, resources created by staff under contract and how these can then be used for income generation for the school. This sometimes means a renegotiation of contract with staff who may have already published some of their materials under CC licence or just given them away. The hunt to find these items on the internet is often part of this.
    2 - looking purely at how any copyrighted materials are used in school to check that only materials, resources, software and IP is used where there are assigned rights to do so, that the appropriate fees have been paid to make use of them wherever required and that there are processes in place to ensure that any purchased resources / licences are logged and has a control mechanism about who/how/where they can be used
    3 - a combination of the above, often to double check that any resources which are going to be used by a school as income generation the school has full rights to those materials.

Paraphrased from some docs I have previously been sent by organisations offering to do the above.

8. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

CHR1S (3rd March 2011), jamesb (3rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    I think its number 2!

Waiting for the information to make its way to me, ill update as I find out.

Thanks all

Edit - I think they want us to record every photocopy we do, sheet music and something about internet downloads.

Thank Post
    If it's to do with the photocopiers we had one of those, you basically make a copy of the ISBN number of the source material and put a sticker on it stating how many copies you made of it and stick it in a cardboard bin they provide

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    If it's to do with the photocopiers we had one of those, you basically make a copy of the ISBN number of the source material and put a sticker on it stating how many copies you made of it and stick it in a cardboard bin they provide
    So its just a waste of everyone's time or has some relevance to something important?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    definitely sounds like number 2.

Occasionally you will see an audit done to check that the rules are being followed with regards to the percentage of books being copied, the copying of sheet music rather than the purchase of additional copies and internet downloads might be related to eBooks or other materials normally accessed in paper format, which may mean that the school is trying to bypass copyright rules / regs / law.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    So its just a waste of everyone's time or has some relevance to something important?
    It is important as it is making sure that publishers and authors get paid for their work. Whilst many folk might not agree with copyright law, it is the law and it is about how people get paid for their work.

Thank Post
    Right, I have the letters, its a CLA Survey of Copyright Copying.

@GD, I appreciate its to ensure people get paid but its a (seemingly) large task to record all copies, scans and web downloads for an entire term and can see me being the person that has to administer it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @CHR1S
    To be honest, CLA would say it is something that should be covered already and so should be no extra work for the school ... in reality though ...
    Web downloads should be you, but copies / scans should be by whoever manages reprographics in your school. You might be able to help with a simple web form to log what is being done if you have no other tracking / request mechanism for photocopying.

Thank Post
    Oh dear do the CLA not realise who they are dealing with??

They require over a 50 working day period -

Every book that is copied has to have for each copy -
    Copy of ISBN information page
    The survey label completed, including ref number, department, pages copied, number of copies and intended recipients.

For copies of magazines -
    Copy of the article in full
    ISSN number
    The survey label completed, including ref number, department, pages copied, number of copies and intended recipients.

Any staff created resources or planning that uses or references copyright material-
    Copy of the document in full

Same applies for any of the above items scanned!

EBooks, Free to view websites -

The web logging survey completed, including ref number.
    Name of website or digital publication
    Relevant bibliographic information on website or ebook
    Number of recipients and how distributed

Can they really see staff (especially teachers doing this for 50 working days) religiously doing this on a daily basis and expecting it to provide an honest representation of copyright copies being done?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    @CHR1S
    To be honest, CLA would say it is something that should be covered already and so should be no extra work for the school ... in reality though ...
    Web downloads should be you, but copies / scans should be by whoever manages reprographics in your school. You might be able to help with a simple web form to log what is being done if you have no other tracking / request mechanism for photocopying.
    No one manages reprographics! Staff copy their own stuff or get a TA to do it.

Web downloads should be me?
    Please explain how I should be monitoring every download or copy paste job from a listed website as part of my daily job?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast