+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 156
General Chat Thread, Apple iPad 2 in General; For those who berate apple fanbois for liking apple kit you really do yourselves no favours. The fact that many ...
  1. #61

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,952
    Thank Post
    1,346
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    597
    For those who berate apple fanbois for liking apple kit you really do yourselves no favours. The fact that many people like Apple kit, are fully aware of what else it out there, quite possibly also having that kit too ... then don't knock us because we have made an evaluated decision. Knock the company that you don't like, knock particular products, but if someone has made a choice then fine ... leave them to it.

    If someone has chosen CC3/4 over Vanilla then we have said time and time again that belittling them as people who can't handle a proper network is out of order so why should we stand for that to happen to members who make a choice over a phone, an OS, a choice of applications?

    Those of you who have moved to or from an iOS based device ... then fine ... your choice. If you moved because you disliked the ethics of the company then don't harp on to those who preferred to stay because of the UI.

    Is there a case of Apple promoting their kit as a status symbol? Hell yes ... they always have so why get surprised by it now? Oh ... because they are not the underdog anymore and it comes out that people like to knock those on top ... human nature.

    Remember, some people just like certain things, and starting to say that fanbois (or plain old apple users)* are wrong just because they choose Apple is like saying that Mondeo drivers are wrong, or Drum'n'bass is wrong.

    *Interesting to see how frequently it is the case that any Apple user is automatically called a fanboi now. It used to be a fanboi was someone who would choose Apple over everything no matter how good or crud it was because they were part of the dedicated (almost religious) following. A user was someone who had made a choice about what tech they were going to use. A Luser was someone who could hardly be trusted with an etch-a-sketch. Why has this changed?

  2. #62

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,885
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Drum'n'bass is wrong.
    Well... they might have a point there.

  3. #63

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    296
    Personally, I can only speak about my experience with Apple users.

    For a start, my brother has had an iPhone for about 2 years. He will not accept that there is anything else on the market that is as good, if not better. Despite the fact that he is struggling financially, he will not give up his £35 a month contract and go to a different phone on £10-20 a month. I call this blind stupidity. (Though this, perhaps, has nothing to do with the overall argument!!).

    I work with a couple of people who have iPhones. Man alive, they are the most tedious people to talk to about it. In their eyes, Apple can do NO wrong. Again, they will not accept that there is anything else out there, that could be as good, or better.

    My argument will ALWAYS be that it is better to have fewer toys, and play in the big wide world, than it is to have loads of toys, but stay in your walled garden.

    Look at children, for instance. Those that are brought up with a well-rounded view of the world, and the ability to make their own decisions are generally better to know. Those that have spent their formative years cosseted by their parents (walled garden, if you like) are always the arrogant, self-centred ones.


    ***JUST MY OPINION....NEG REP IF YOU MUST!***

  4. 2 Thanks to aerospacemango:

    FN-GM (7th March 2011), Paul10k (7th March 2011)

  5. #64

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,505
    Thank Post
    1,585
    Thanked 486 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post

    ***JUST MY OPINION....NEG REP IF YOU MUST!***
    As an iPhone 4 user I was going to negrep you, but, there isnt an app for it

  6. 4 Thanks to CHR1S:

    aerospacemango (4th March 2011), GrumbleDook (4th March 2011), TronXP (7th March 2011), ZeroHour (4th March 2011)

  7. #65

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    As an iPhone 4 user I was going to negrep you, but, there isnt an app for it
    HA!

    My android DOES have it....and I've just Neg repped you! So there!

    Oh....No...Hold on...That's not neg rep....that's factory reset....WHAT have I done?????? LOL!

  8. #66

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,678
    Thank Post
    861
    Thanked 650 Times in 431 Posts
    Rep Power
    499
    I use an iPhone3GS that was supplied by my employer..
    I like it..

    However, I would not BUY one.

    Why? Well to put it simply - its way overpriced for what it does..
    The same is true with the iPads - Hell you can buy a laptop or whole PC or 2, or even a new car!! for the same price of the iPad
    SMT here are all swanning around with them (and have probably upset most of the staff in the process since they are being told their budgets are getting cut..)

    If Apple made an iCar - would they come without wheels and need to buy a special adapter to use it?

    Just my 2p - negrep if you like..

  9. #67

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    144
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    I love all the Anti-Apple comments in here. Just shows the out-of-depth knowledge and closed-mindedness of those people (or any sort of jealousy with Apple kit being premium devices). I personally won't fight with their opinions, because the fact it's their opinion. I'll quite happily try and change or show a different perspective. I admit there a few that will use Apple as a coat of being able to show-off, but don't tarnish all Apple users with the same brush. It amazes me the one person we have that's like that (who's from Marketing) won't stop going on about, but doesn't actually own any Mac devices apart from an iPhone. When she discovered I had a MacBook Pro (which was used to record a choir using Logic - she was involved in this), she put on a fake surprise that I'd bought it just because I was a AppleBoi. No. I chose to buy one because I'd preferred the Mac OS X interface for my day-to-day needs (after I'd had the chance to configure them in our new IT suite), they much more cleverly engineered and are worth value for money if you use laptops all the time. I made a technical choice rather than a fashion one.

    Back on topic. Apple will now always be ahead with a version of the iPad product after being the first to start off the tablet trend again. It was quite amusing that Steve pointed out all the copycats and personally, I think most of them are. Same basic design, same basic UI and same basic software infrastructure. I think there's a lot of snobbery going on when someone has a negative opinion which is extremely harsh. I think those people haven't used one. I was in the "bigger iPhone" camp until I played with one in the shop. As they rightly said in one of the promo videos, you have to use one to understand it. The new iPad is a stop gap to get the design/tech specs one step ahead knowing all the vaporware (Motorola, Blackberry, HP) alternatives have spoken their voice about the next tablet they have to offer, but haven't released them yet. Pointless IMHO.

    On first impressions, I'm impressed about how they've reduced the size and the cleverness of the new smart cover (people will think this is pointless until you've owned a first edition iPad - ALL the covers add unnecessary weight and bulk). I'm not keen on the shape of the rear, but I guess my opinion will be distorted until I use one. However, my original iPad won't get replaced until the 3rd one appears (that's if iOS 5 is compromised on the first version iPad).

    As I've always said, don't judge a book by its cover .


    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I use an iPhone3GS that was supplied by my employer..
    I like it..

    However, I would not BUY one.

    Why? Well to put it simply - its way overpriced for what it does..
    The same is true with the iPads - Hell you can buy a laptop or whole PC or 2, or even a new car!! for the same price of the iPad.
    Fair enough, but what features are missing that doesn't make it a good phone/communication device? People fail to see the premium engineering Apple products offer rather than be ridiculed by every new feature that people fail to use properly as it has limited use or feasibility.

    New refurbished iPad 1 at £289? Who says they're too expensive?
    Last edited by Tunster; 4th March 2011 at 12:51 PM.

  10. Thanks to Tunster from:

    Netman (4th March 2011)

  11. #68

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,952
    Thank Post
    1,346
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    If Apple made an iCar - would they come without wheels and need to buy a special adapter to use it?
    If Apple made an iCar then yes, it would probably come without wheels ... hovercars don't need wheels but the steering system would probably be poached from a Kinect setup.

  12. #69

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,952
    Thank Post
    1,346
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Well... they might have a point there.
    Drum'nBass is fine ... Garage! now that is not so much the music of the devil, but the tunes of an annoying little imp, constantly prodding your next with a toothpick! personal opinion of course ...

  13. #70
    AlfaTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    231
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Never has a product produced so much ranting from either side of the Apple divide


  14. #71

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,885
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunster View Post
    Fair enough, but what features are missing that doesn't make it a good phone/communication device? People fail to see the premium engineering Apple products offer rather than be ridiculed by every new feature that people fail to use properly as it has limited use or feasibility.

    New refurbished iPad 1 at £289? Who says they're too expensive?
    I like some Apple gear - their desktops are brilliant, and their laptops are always way ahead in terms of performance and features IMO. However, their pricing is at this moment in time ridiculously over the top.

    Don't try to quote refurb prices for a product, as that is not the normal price people pay!

    And things missing from the iPhone - 8MP+ camera, Flash support, (dare I say it) porn (for those that want it, which will be a few), user changeable battery, user expandable memory, ability to get apps on it without going via Apple's store or having to hack it. There are many more.

  15. Thanks to localzuk from:

    Gatt (4th March 2011)

  16. #72

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,065
    Thank Post
    1,401
    Thanked 652 Times in 507 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    261
    HTC/Nexus Phone, DELL laptop, Acer PC, Apple Ipad

    Big fan of all of the above, for their own merits....just wounded I bought the iPad (Or iFad as several Archos 7 owners have called it) before the price drop this week

    ho hum.. My experience shows that on the informal 'friday night couch sessions' the ipad is the weapon of choice for passing around daft websites and videos of people falling over.

    What more of a reason can there be to own one?

    Joe

  17. #73

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    144
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Don't try to quote refurb prices for a product, as that is not the normal price people pay!
    You won't want to buy a brand new original iPad (which is still competitive at £329 for the Wi-Fi / 16GB model). I'd say it's fair to quote both right now when the new one is about to ship. What netbooks give you touch-screen at that price and an interface as good as the iOS does? That's just something to think about.

    And things missing from the iPhone - 8MP+ camera, Flash support, (dare I say it) porn (for those that want it, which will be a few), user changeable battery, user expandable memory, ability to get apps on it without going via Apple's store or having to hack it. There are many more.
    People get distorted at MegaPixels, phones don't need 8MP - they need better CCDs. The iP4's 5MP is good enough for me. Flash - leave that to desktops/laptops which can take advantage of that tech. Changable Battery/Expandable Memory - personally, batteries don't bother me. isn't 16GB/32GB enough though? Proper techies can't enough with slower SDHC cards I suppose. App's? You can make apps and use them without using the store. I admit that's more for corporate use, but why would you want instability with external apps outside of the store and possibly posing security risks when it doesn't go through checking? Just questions in counter-argument. Not saying you're wrong, but it's a phone (calls/texts/e-mail's matter to me) and extras do better than all the phones I've owned in the past or seen. I'll admit I didn't like the iPhone 3GS/3G/Original.

    On the price point - it's a balance. You pay more for the engineering or you pay less for a possibly better spec'd product but isn't packaged very well. Day to day use, the extra premium is worth it.

  18. #74

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    144
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Big fan of all of the above, for their own merits....just wounded I bought the iPad (Or iFad as several Archos 7 owners have called it) before the price drop this week
    Have you bought it in the last 14 days? You can get the £100 difference back if you go into the shop AFAIK.

    Actually, the lazy about with an iPad is perfect choice. Can spend hours on YouTube and various other blogger sites effortlessly.

  19. Thanks to Tunster from:

    CPLTD (4th March 2011)

  20. #75

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,501
    Thank Post
    1,457
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 815 Posts
    Rep Power
    713
    I can understand the appeal of Apple products - get them out of the box and they "just work". But that's not enough for me (or most techies, I'd imagine). When something doesn't work as I'd like it to, I want to change it; with Apple products, you just can't. They are so restrictive in the way their products are used, it's suffocating! There are pros and cons to both ways - Android for instance has just been hit by it's first lot of malware, thanks to the open market. But the open market also means that there are no limits (other than the hardware) to what apps can be released on to the platform - which I like!

    For a non-tech minded person, by all means go for Apple (if you can afford it!), but I'd never recommend an Apple product to a techie (with the exception of iPods - I do really like the iPod, even if it IS over priced!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [iPad] Apple iPod/iPad Implementation
    By Starkiller in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th March 2011, 11:51 AM
  2. eXCHANGE 2007 Activesync with Apple IPAD
    By Darylrese in forum Enterprise Software
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 3rd March 2011, 12:48 PM
  3. Apple Ipad Delays (Like We Didnt Expect It)
    By CPLTD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17th April 2010, 12:26 PM
  4. apple's first ipad
    By Face-Man in forum Blue Skies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th April 2010, 05:22 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •