+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
General Chat Thread, Apple iPad 2 in General; Yep, indeed it does. Still, that said, the 3G coverage isn't the best, but for that price I'm not complaining......
    Thank Post
    Yep, indeed it does. Still, that said, the 3G coverage isn't the best, but for that price I'm not complaining...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    That's a good plan, and i gather T-mobile now works with Orange network too in the UK . . .
    3G doesn't work across both yet. As CHR1S calculated, it's always worth buying the iPad on it's own with a seperate contract. All the mobile phone companies are doing is allowing you to subsidise the iPad over a longer period.

I've currently got the original iPad on a 1-month rolling 1GB Contract from 3. I'll probably wait until the release of iPad 3 so I can at least pass on my original iPad to someone I know than sell it on eBay.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I almost thought about buying some of these instead of a class set of laptops this year. Then I found out the iPad has no multi-user support. Call me when you can do something other than a 1-to-1 deployment and we'll talk.
    Good to see someone with a common sense approach here......this has been my argument from day one!!!! Effectively they are designed for the individual and do not scale to a multi-user environment....
    Things like how to manage a fleet come to mind...you need to manage as a group not as an individual device...I am thinking this is still there biggest failure (I would like to be proven wrong)....

Actually looking at an Android Tablet and a Windows CE tablet as well...costs about $200....The Windows CE can be managed via AD and SCCM....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Ok.
    Don't shoot me down for the weakness in my argument, i'm just considering one scenario based on some discussions with how people are thinking on planning things.

The devices are used by individuals, to practice various skills using apps, do something creative, play educational games, browse the net and access various resources including email etc. So a fair amount of work can be done. They are light and portable, and could go out into the field. You could do experiments trying to take advantage of the accelerometer etc. I'm just generalising here of course.

Class ends, all devices come back to a large dock / flight case as demonstrated at BETT, for charging. At the end of the day or each lesson if need be, the devices can be synched to a single computer, or as i envisaged it, they are restored from backup, and ready for another class to use.

I thought that was the type of application it would be used for and you wouldn't want users to have local identity or any data stored. Its just a tool that is borrowed then returned.

I'm sure you can do more management with other devices, but i thought the above was a useful scenario with what some people consider a premium, sought after device, that's simple to use. If you don't like apple, then of course look elsewhere, but i've heard of quite a few people considering buying banks of ipads. I know we are considering it here now.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 16th March 2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: grammar

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure if this has been mentioned. I dont have time to read through 11 pages

But you can lock the devices down so students can install apps, use the camera, itunes, delete apps and much more.

This is one fault i have found with the iPad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ5-hBcSDBU
    Last edited by FN-GM; 16th March 2011 at 09:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi,
    I did prove myself wrong, it looks like there are solutions out there such as;

•Apple’s official enterprise doc: http://images.apple.com/ipad/business/docs/iPad_MDM.pdf
    •One 3rd Party: iOS Management | iPad and iPhone Management | MobileIron - Their Demo video: (no price sheet from what I can find, but they do have demo software): YouTube - MobileIron iOS 4 Management Demonstration
    •Another: Smartphone and Mobile Device Management | Enterprise MDM | AirWatch - Their Pricing: AirWatch is a Web-based Solution with Multi-tenant Architecture
    •Another: iPad and iPhone Enterprise Mobile Device Management | Zenprise

I am still unsure of the value of ipads in schools...from what I have seen, everyone is looking at "product" before discussing "requirements". As long as the requirements are actually discussed and a solution is derived from this discussion, then all is good I guess.

7. Thanks to rbance from:

vikpaw (16th March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011