+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Which is the best home braodband provider? Don't sat SKY!! in General; Recommend Be here too. Let me know if you want a referral, Ill get a free month and youll get ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Recommend Be here too. Let me know if you want a referral, Ill get a free month and youll get free stuff too

Thank Post
    Another happy BE there customer for the past 4 years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,747 Posts
    I find these threads fascinating because they demonstrate there's no perfect ISP.

OP has bad Sky experiences. Someone else recommends BT. I have nothing bad to say about Sky who tripled my download speed just by taking us on as customers from BT who failed to get us above 0.75Mb despite regular complaints over the preceding 2 years. The connection hasn't dropped since we went Sky... it did regularly with BT.

What can be measured more accurately is call centre experience. Sky win hands down over BT in my view, but that's probably not much help to OP!

Thank Post
    Have you tried a different router with sky? Some of the ones they use are useless. When I first went to sky I would get aprox 4meg and would drop at least twice a day, used my own (quite expensive) router and I got a very solid 8meg connection, that actually ran at 8meg on multiple tests. - My parents who lived a few hundred yards away only got between 4 and 6 with both BT, and now talk talk.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I find these threads fascinating because they demonstrate there's no perfect ISP.

OP has bad Sky experiences. Someone else recommends BT. I have nothing bad to say about Sky who tripled my download speed just by taking us on as customers from BT who failed to get us above 0.75Mb despite regular complaints over the preceding 2 years. The connection hasn't dropped since we went Sky... it did regularly with BT.

What can be measured more accurately is call centre experience. Sky win hands down over BT in my view, but that's probably not much help to OP!
    I guess a better question for the OP would be "what's the best ISP on for people on my exchange" as i guess every exchange will be different on the reliability and speed experienced.

Thank Post
    Another Vote for Be here - been with them for 3 years now, and cannot remember any downtime that they havent notified me in advance about (and then it was always 2am on sunday morning or suchlike)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Have you tried a different router with sky? Some of the ones they use are useless. When I first went to sky I would get aprox 4meg and would drop at least twice a day, used my own (quite expensive) router and I got a very solid 8meg connection, that actually ran at 8meg on multiple tests. - My parents who lived a few hundred yards away only got between 4 and 6 with both BT, and now talk talk.

Steve
    Unfortunately Sky lock down their system so you can't change routers. It is possible to bypass this with a little google research, but there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that Sky take action if you do. The router supplied doesn't have wireless N and I know I'm not the only one using a previously owned router that's better than the one Sky supplied as a wireless hub to get round this! My Sky router is just being used as a modem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EvLPhenom View Post
    tbh ive never had any problems with virgin if you can get it in your area.
    Had it for a long time, since it was Blueyonder..

At times it used to just randomly stop working, lately it has been decent since demanding a new up to date modem box. Their technical support though are ridiculous, even after you tell them what you have tried they still insist on following their procedure. Which also has never changed... and dont ask technical questions because they also do not understand...
    Frankly they are like actors playing the part of a technician with a script in front of them.

To be honest though you probably will never find a perfect broadband provider, if you are having problems threaten to leave and get a better deal. We have had some staff struggle to pick up the Sky Wireless with certain types of laptops and if you google them you will find others. Might be a good idea to google a broadband provider problems to see if others have a lot of issues

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use adslnation microfilter they are the best and most flexible adslnation.com - broadband products

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    I'm not sure about Virgin's policies on snooping!
    What's the issue with their 'snooping' policies? Been looking into getting Virgin and haven't, as of yet, seen anything to make me wary!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garyjepp View Post
    What's the issue with their 'snooping' policies? Been looking into getting Virgin and haven't, as of yet, seen anything to make me wary!
    There isnt really any snooping, as such. There is traffic shaping of P2P (more like throttling of bandwidth on these ports) and the whole phorm issue - Virgin Media sticks with Phorm ? The Register - but that seems to have gone now. I don't think they have gone down the deep packet inspection path as of yet but it was mentioned.

If you only use newsgroups via SSL and download off peak then you wont have any issues at all.

12. Thanks to CHR1S from:

garyjepp (3rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Plusnet - Plusnet | Home & Business Broadband Internet Access & Phone Services UK

I have used them for 5-6 years never had a problem, I also have a couple of friends who use them equally never any issues. Only niggle I had was a high ping on a game server I used to use and I found their customer service excellent and they resolved it quickly.

Thank Post
    Will have to go with Virgin too, been using their network since it was Diamond Cable and then NTL. To be honest its always been consistant since then, good reliable service. I have the 10MB broadband and its usually around 9.8 when i test it. Upload speeds are very pants though. My only real complaint is their Customer Service it has always been and still is terrible. However you so rarely need to use them that i feel the Pro's outway the Con's. They also have the advantage of not needing a spepearate phone line, so if like me you dont want a landline they are, as far as i know, the only company that you can have broadband without phone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezwick View Post
    They also have the advantage of not needing a spepearate phone line, so if like me you dont want a landline they are, as far as i know, the only company that you can have broadband without phone.
    that's true. they do charge about £5 extra a month for you having broadband without a phone line though

Thank Post
    I always found Virgin Media very good.. but agree their tech support were dire. You can however use their newsgroups, if youre able to, talk to their upper level techies to get problems resolved very quickly. I had a problem with excessive packet loss a while back... rang their tech support and got fobbed off with excuses and got sent new routers and modems etc etc which didnt solve the issue. Got onto their newsgroups at 11:30pm one night and put the problem on there and one of their 3rd line techies replied within half an hour detailing my problem, the cause, and an engineer was now booked to come and resolve the faulty NIC that was casuing the issue on one of their routers!

Im gutted where i live now though im not in their cable area... ended going with O2 as the missus has a contract with them so was quite cheap. On their 20mb all rounder package and we get 10-15mb depending on time of day.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast