+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Compromised Websites - Anyone else affected yet? in General; I've almost always got a laptop on my desk from a teacher/TA that has a infection of this kind, though ...
    Thank Post
    I've almost always got a laptop on my desk from a teacher/TA that has a infection of this kind, though not seen this one exactly so far. Such a PITA but I usually just remove the entire infected profile from the laptop and build them a new one, luckily staff here are (mostly) good at saving work in their mapped drive and not on the desktop so only standard set of icons have to be put back anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I did notice when I got caught that the Java window opened up - I thought Java could'nt do nasties - but maybe just a coincidence
    Yes, Java is an avenue of attack, not sure if it's the case with this example, however if you have an older version installed, even with having the latest version you're still vulnerable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've dealt with 5 machines regarding this pesky little blighter in the last two weeks, all family and friends' machines.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I did notice when I got caught that the Java window opened up - I thought Java could'nt do nasties - but maybe just a coincidence
    Do you have any of the malicious jar files, I would be interested to see exactly what they do?

Thank Post
    I'm afraid I've not read all the replies but to add my 2p:

We've had a couple since half-term. We've found that installing Avast on there, letting that do a scan and then a boot-time scan would find some files but not clear it. We would then enable the wireless, let Sophos update the Endpoint thingy and do a scan with that and it picked it up - can't remember the exact name it gave. We couldn't get Sophos to work without the Avast scan beforehand (although may that was only 'cos it did a boot-time scan) as the virus/malware seemed to block it.

Anyway, may be another way to fix it if anyone's still having trouble.

Thank Post
    If people used Firefox with Adblock then that will stop Virii and fake virii coming though compromised ads in the future.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    If people used Firefox with Adblock then that will stop Virii and fake virii coming though compromised ads in the future.
    But would also affect the sites they visit, as their ad revenue would fall and therefore could end up damaging the site.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    But would also affect the sites they visit, as their ad revenue would fall and therefore could end up damaging the site.
    Perhaps they should be damaged, maybe that way more care would be put into stopping this rubbish by ad providers with dropping client numbers.

Thank Post
    I put the security and usability of my machines above the website revenue. It's not the first time stuff has been pushed through compromised ads.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Perhaps they should be damaged, maybe that way more care would be put into stopping this rubbish by ad providers with dropping client numbers.
    The problem is, it is legitimate ad providers who are serving up these adverts. It isn't the site's fault, it isn't the ad network's fault - its the advertiser for putting this stuff up. Put it this way, Edugeek uses adverts for revenue, how would you feel if everyone blocked Edugeek adverts?

Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    I put the security and usability of my machines above the website revenue. It's not the first time stuff has been pushed through compromised ads.
    Until the sites you use disappear of course.

Thank Post
    I disagree if an Ad Network is serving Malware it is definitely their fault. We could introduce a £10,000 fine for every instance to force them to be more thorough. In the same way a Transport Company is fined if they have an illegal immigrant stowed aboard their truck.

Thank Post
    The problem is, it is legitimate ad providers who are serving up these adverts. It isn't the site's fault, it isn't the ad network's fault - its the advertiser for putting this stuff up. Put it this way, Edugeek uses adverts for revenue, how would you feel if everyone blocked Edugeek adverts?
    Edugeek & any other site for that matter need to do as much as possible to protect its members, this includes who it picks for generating revenue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    Edugeek & any other site for that matter need to do as much as possible to protect its members, this includes who it picks for generating revenue.
    Of course they do, but a knee-jerk reaction of 'block all adverts using adblock' is a bad idea IMO.

Thank Post
    Do you need admin rights for it to install itself or because it's in the users profile will it install regardless?

Thank Post
    Of course they do, but a knee-jerk reaction of 'block all adverts using adblock' is a bad idea IMO.
    Not a knee-jerk reaction. I like a clean unclutterd webpage without annoying ads, the fact it blocks another attack vector is a bonus.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast