+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 78
General Chat Thread, The Church of Jedi (Census 2011) in General; Originally Posted by localzuk What's intrusive about that? You've got British citizenship I assume, so why wouldn't you want your ...
  1. #46

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,382
    Thank Post
    1,401
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Rep Power
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What's intrusive about that? You've got British citizenship I assume, so why wouldn't you want your government to know how many dual citizenship holders etc... they have in the country?
    Sorry - why?

  2. #47

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,175
    Thank Post
    600
    Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    This one for a start:
    A question requiring respondents to disclose which passports they hold.
    I think that's to see where foreign nationals are coming from. [The start of the crack-down of immagration im guessing.]


    This seems to be getting quite serious... Initiating distraction.

    Kitten, ahoy!

    Last edited by X-13; 2nd March 2011 at 01:35 PM.

  3. #48
    BatchFile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    948
    Thank Post
    544
    Thanked 128 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    Hang on a minute - they (the government) know how many people were here last census, they know how many have since died and been born (compulsary registration of both), and how many have since entered and left the UK (passport control). They also can find out where everyone lives (electoral roll)... so why do we need a Census again? Given everything else that's been cut surely this is a waste of money?
    Last edited by BatchFile; 2nd March 2011 at 01:46 PM.

  4. #49

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,202
    Thank Post
    1,808
    Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,637 Posts
    Rep Power
    802
    The census website is here: What is the census? - 2011 Census

  5. #50
    mthomas08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,620
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 166 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    As there appear to be more Jedi than Sikhs, I wonder if anyone could claim religious discrimination if told to remove their lightsaber?

    BTW, any Jedi should be wary of Scotland where a number of the population are Sith...
    Drunk Sith

    As for the church of Apple, wouldnt they charge extortion prices? I am sure they would be much more fussy who they let in. Good side, the queue will be very short so "Quick" to get in.

  6. #51
    JPS
    JPS is offline
    JPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Posts
    293
    Thank Post
    91
    Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Well if it is true, I'm definitely starting the campaign for edugeek as a religion... edugeek on every form
    Well DosBox is god...

  7. #52

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,865
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Sorry - why?
    I will counter your why, with a why not?

    Information about dual citizenship allows governments to create policies regarding immigration, allows them to figure out which countries in the world should be focussed upon to prevent abuse of dual citizenship (eg. avoiding national service by scarpering to that country, avoiding jury service by claiming you'll be in that country etc...), and allows them to build a picture of the structure of UK society in general to see which areas need extra work with getting people properly integrated (eg. being able to see that a section of a city has a large number of dual citizen people, from the last 10 years, etc...).

    So, why not?

  8. #53

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,003
    Thank Post
    874
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I will counter your why, with a why not?

    Information about dual citizenship allows governments to create policies regarding immigration, allows them to figure out which countries in the world should be focussed upon to prevent abuse of dual citizenship (eg. avoiding national service by scarpering to that country, avoiding jury service by claiming you'll be in that country etc...), and allows them to build a picture of the structure of UK society in general to see which areas need extra work with getting people properly integrated (eg. being able to see that a section of a city has a large number of dual citizen people, from the last 10 years, etc...).

    So, why not?
    When it comes to giving governments anything, "why not" is a very dangerous phrase, I fear :/

  9. #54

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,865
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    When it comes to giving governments anything, "why not" is a very dangerous phrase, I fear :/
    Don't vote them into power then...

  10. #55

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,202
    Thank Post
    1,808
    Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,637 Posts
    Rep Power
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Don't vote them into power then...
    I think you've identified the problem, people didn't vote them into power... most people didn't vote at all unfortunately.

  11. #56

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,865
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I think you've identified the problem, people didn't vote them into power... most people didn't vote at all unfortunately.
    Then we need to introduce compulsory voting, like in Australia.

  12. #57

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,003
    Thank Post
    874
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Don't vote them into power then...
    Problem being, those who seek power are those least suited to it, and anyone on the voting slip is pretty much going to be someone I don't want to vote for. For example, and to get back on topic: Senator/Emperor Palpatine

    I vote, but it's always for the lesser of 3 evils.

  13. #58

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,865
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Problem being, those who seek power are those least suited to it, and anyone on the voting slip is pretty much going to be someone I don't want to vote for. For example, and to get back on topic: Senator/Emperor Palpatine

    I vote, but it's always for the lesser of 3 evils.
    Then stand as an independent.

  14. #59


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,105
    Thank Post
    256
    Thanked 450 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Then stand as an independent.
    So the answer to all political troubles is to become an MP? Well it would sort the UK's unemployment problem...... Not sure it would help the defecit much though.

  15. #60

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,865
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    So the answer to all political troubles is to become an MP? Well it would sort the UK's unemployment problem...... Not sure it would help the defecit much though.
    Well, if you're not happy with the governance that exists now - you have a couple of options:

    1. Stand to be an MP.
    2. Move.
    3. Sit at home, whinge about things, and be an annoying armchair politician without actually taking part in the political system.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Joke] Church Newsletter bloopers
    By laserblazer in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 4th February 2011, 03:16 PM
  2. [Video] Jedi Cat - now has a light saber.....
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th July 2010, 11:11 PM
  3. Church Website CMS
    By pwds in forum Web Development
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 27th May 2010, 06:06 PM
  4. [Video] Jedi Jackass
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th December 2009, 12:19 PM
  5. Church of england ethos?
    By mattmoo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th June 2008, 01:39 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •