+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, The Church of Jedi (Census 2011) in General; Pastafarian here...

Thank Post
    Pastafarian here

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyBeaky View Post
    If you have no religion then it will skew the results as your vote for Jedi will mean you are not included in the list of those who have no religion.
    I can't see why this would be an issue, apart from to Militant Atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Atheists should be proud and simply answer 'no religion'. None of this 'jedi' nonsense, as it gives merit to their question in the first place. I'm sick of seeing so much of UK life focussed on religion. Schools are still legally required to hold religious assemblies for Pete's sake! Ridiculous in a country where quite simply most people don't practice a religion.

Only people who follow a religion should put one.
    Surely the question provides proof that the country is mainly irreligious? (Assuming it is).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Surely the question provides proof that the country is mainly irreligious? (Assuming it is).
    I completely agree with this. The previous census stated that 70% of the country were Christian. If people can complain that putting Jedi, Edugeek, Google or whatever is sending the results askew surely they need to take the Christianity figure with a pinch of salt also as many people will put this blindly without thinking about it. I'm sure my parents will be putting Christianity (unless I can convince them of "The Force") although they do not own a Bible and won't be able to recall the last time they were in church.

4. Thanks to Jon-Dukes from:

superfletch (2nd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't see why this would be an issue, apart from to Militant Atheists.
    As the media has reported - the question ends up being used as a basis for funding for various things, and for the basis of whether religion should feature in laws. So, it does matter as 'No religion' will be what is looked at, compared to 'religious' etc...

No, it won't, as people will be classed as religious with their silly answers rather than non-religious.

Thank Post
    As the media has reported - the question ends up being used as a basis for funding for various things, and for the basis of whether religion should feature in laws. So, it does matter as 'No religion' will be what is looked at, compared to 'religious' etc...
    Again: so what? The only people getting upset by the concept of religion as part of life are Militant Atheists types who are almost, well religious in their dislike of any sort of faith.

No, it won't, as people will be classed as religious with their silly answers rather than non-religious.
    My point is that without the question being asked, how can anyone claim to have data about how many religious people there are? It's not necessarily a foolproof solution, but it's better than just guessing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Again: so what? The only people getting upset by the concept of religion as part of life are Militant Atheists types who are almost, well religious in their dislike of any sort of faith.
    It doesn't matter about being 'upset'. It is about having a democratic government that follows the makeup of their country, and not giving undue recognition to groups that shouldn't get it. Eg. why should schools with low numbers of religious students still be forced to have religious assemblies? It makes no sense.

And lets not get into the nonsense about 'militant' atheists being almost religious in their dislike of faith. That's a pointless argument which simply cannot be won.

My point is that without the question being asked, how can anyone claim to have data about how many religious people there are? It's not necessarily a foolproof solution, but it's better than just guessing.
    The question is fine. Its just that people should answer it honestly, and not with stupid comedy answers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    ***WARNING - PERSONAL OPINION***

In this day and age, I don't see why the religion question is at all neccessary - if we were truly a non-discriminatory country, then religion wouldn't even come in to, well, anything! At the end of the day, people will make their choices based on their beliefs regardless of the situation, I don't see why the government has to wade in with statistics to point out things like "oh, well there are more Christians than Sikhs, so Sikhs are still a minority" - so what? Why does it matter? It just seems to encourage discrimination to me.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 2nd March 2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: grammar

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Personally I think the question is not 'fine'
    My religion or lack of is my personal business. The government can get numbers of adherents/attendees from the actual churches of the various faiths but I object to being labelled. AFAIC it is none of anyone's business what I do as long as it isn't illegal!
    As for edugeek - if having a religion means keeping in contact regularly with the elders and following advice - asking for help etc - then I am a member!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    ***WARNING - PERSONAL OPINION***

In this day and age, I don't see why the religion question is at all neccessary - if we were truly a non-discriminatory country, then religion wouldn't even come in to, well, anything! At the end of the day, people will make their choices based on their beliefs regardless of the situation, I don't see why the government has to wade in with statistics to point out things like "oh, well there are more Christians than Sikhs, so Sikhs are still a minority" - so what? Why does it matter? It just seems to encourage discrimination to me.
    the same could be said about all the "equal opportunities" things. why should it matter what ethnicity i am, if i am right for the job i am right. all these things are to label and pidgeon hole us.

if the government were to suddenly say "due to the fact those of a jedi religion can carry lethal light sabre weapons we will be imposing a £50 a month insurance premium on them" i bet nobody would jokingly choose jedi

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    the same could be said about all the "equal opportunities" things. why should it matter what ethnicity i am, if i am right for the job i am right. all these things are to label and pidgeon hole us.
    I totally agree with you on that one, it's a farce.

For instance, on Sandwell Council job application forms (I haven't looked at one in months so they may have changed now), they actually started with the usual "we are an equal opportunities employer" etc., then ended with (and I'm not making this up!) "we are particularly looking for black, disabled women, as we are under represented in this area". And that was on all application forms - surely you're looking for the best person for the job, not somebody to tick the boxes you're lacking!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    I agree that people should answer honestly, but anyone who has researched their family tree will know that people don't always answer honestly. I have some ancestors that I could cheerfully strangle if they weren't already dead! It's not just questions about religion, but marital status, children...

The census will never be 100% accurate and the more questions that are asked, the less likely that people will bother to complete it properly. People don't like to be asked detailed questions about their lives. This isn't an invitation for people to give comedy answers, but it is an inevitability. However, perhaps what it does measure is changing attitudes in society and that is useful.

Thank Post
    Wonder how hard they'll be on people who dont fill it in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Wonder how hard they'll be on people who dont fill it in.
    Up to £1000 fine and a criminal record apparently. I heard some government bod talking on the radio and he stated that they are going to be cracking down on those who don't fill it in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Up to £1000 fine and a criminal record apparently.
    Wow... a criminal record for not filling in a form?

No wonder people mess about on it... It's taken way too seriously.

Henceforth, I shall be a Sith lord.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 3rd March 2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: pls don't swear.

Thank Post
    By answering "No Religion" maybe we can get our masters to realise that there is no place in our society for the "Lords Spiritual". Wholly christian (Sorry, wholly CofE), unelected, and VERY expensive to keep!

17. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

SteveBentley (2nd March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast