+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Proposal to increase Motorway speed limit in General; Speed limit could reach 80mph - Yahoo! Cars Don't they realise that anyone in a hurry does at least 80 ...

Thank Post

Proposal to increase Motorway speed limit

Speed limit could reach 80mph - Yahoo! Cars

Don't they realise that anyone in a hurry does at least 80 anyway? They will simply add 10mph t whatever speed they think they can get away with now. I agree with the 80mph limit but accompanied with speed cameras.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    in most sections of the Autobahn in Germany there is no limit...and they have one of the lowest motorway accident rates in Europe

Thank Post
    A few years ago I'd have been all for this, but with increasing fuel costs I tend to drive a little bit slower now to increase the mpg! I have a 1.4 automatic Corsa hire car at the moment (someone drove into the side of my car!) the difference in MPG between 60 and 70mph is quite considerable!

As for speed cameras, I haveno objection to by play areas, schools, etc. But on the motorwar I'd ratehr see police catching dangerous drivers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I spent 7 years in Germany and the autobahns were possibly the safest roads I ever drove on. It helps that the German driving test/lessons have a compulsary autobahn driving module. In many places the autobahns were down to 2 lanes. Your were either going fast, or slow. If you were going slow in the outside lane then you had to pull over to let faster vehicles past. Also with many modern cars you now don't get the best fuel efficiancy unless you are 'at speed'.

Thank Post
    Makes sense in most of Europe the speed limit is 130 Kph (80 mph)

Thank Post
    I think the best change they could do is make it law to pull over to the left side unless overtaking. The number of times I have been happily tootling along the inside lane on a near empty motorway only to have to pull all the way out to the outside lane to over take one car that thinks they are fine sitting in the middle lane. The M25 is interesting as often it is easier, and you can make better progress, to sit in the inside lane and undertake everything and it is safer as the majority are sitting in lanes 3/4 so 1&2 are empty!

7. 3 Thanks to TechMonkey:

aerospacemango (1st March 2011), CHR1S (1st March 2011), elsiegee40 (1st March 2011)

Thank Post
    Compulorary motorway lessons focusing on lane use and breaking would speed up traffic more than a 10mph increase.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I think the best change they could do is make it law to pull over to the left side unless overtaking. The number of times I have been happily tootling along the inside lane on a near empty motorway only to have to pull all the way out to the outside lane to over take one car that thinks they are fine sitting in the middle lane. The M25 is interesting as often it is easier, and you can make better progress, to sit in the inside lane and undertake everything and it is safer as the majority are sitting in lanes 3/4 so 1&2 are empty!
    Well said, that person!!!

It really does my head in that people seem to think that they can sit in the middle lane, for mile after mile, and not pull in. These people should be taken off the road until they can drive properly. Although there's nothing like the smug feeling of pulling past them, and then immediately pulling into the inside lane, with the thought....

"HA! See? That's how you drive!"

Going through your head!

*When I say immediately.....I don't mean cutting them up....I mean pulling in, at a proper distance, and then pulling over to the inside lane! Thought that was worth pointing out!!*

Thank Post
    Also with many modern cars you now don't get the best fuel efficiancy unless you are 'at speed'.
    Really? I kind of doubt that on a motorway. Drag will increase with speed and that's what clobbers the mpg. F1 cars are probably the most highly tuned for efficiency but if it's wet or they are stuck behind the safety car, they go a lot further on a tank full.

Thank Post
    I thought it was the Law! It's in the Highway Code anyway.
    Lane discipline -264

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I think the best change they could do is make it law to pull over to the left side unless overtaking.
    I thought that was the law?

I will admit that I do occasionally spend longer in the middle lane than I probably should, but only when I know that if I get into the lh lane I will be trapped by those exceeding the limit in the centre lane. For clarification, as I know this is an emotive subject: there are cars within a couple of hundred yards in the lh lane (doing <70mph) when I do this!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    ... there are cars within a couple of hundred yards in the lh lane (doing <70mph) when I do this!
    Then IMHO you are overtaking making this perfectly legal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Highway code isn't law.

I do a speed I'm comfortable with doing on motorways. I don't do it because it's cool, or because I may want to flaunt the law. If they increase the speed limit I will still do the speed I am comfortable with.

15. Thanks to Hightower from:

j17sparky (1st March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    There also this rule.

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.
    Which depending on how busy the motorway is, would be legal to over/undertake in the left hand land doing ~70Mph

Thank Post
    I may be wrong then but I thought unless a highway code was a MUST then it wasn't law. If it is law then I wish it was used more often.

I don't see a prob with that LeM I do the same, it is when you are out on the outside lane which is chock full because everyone is having to be out there to pass one car that could quite easily move over to the near side. Once you get a few of them in a row you get the problem that everyone sticks to the outside lane so they don't get caught in the middle lane & this is a massive cause of congestion. Roll on automated driving systems as they will make driving so much more efficent

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast