+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, UK has done the dirty on Assange in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I see someone scared of the allegations against him, and trying to dress it all up as conspiracy for sympathy.

It's interesting that he made a comment about being 'the founder of a not-for-profit', yet managed to meet the £200 000 bail which he claimed was excessive.

It's also worth noting that, with an extradition to Sweden, it means any extradition to the States would require not just Sweden, but also the UK to give permission, meaning that it makes it harder for them to try anything (in theory).
    Would you not be scared if people were bending the law to bring you to court?

Other people posted the bail for him, like the legendary John Pilger.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's interesting that he made a comment about being 'the founder of a not-for-profit', yet managed to meet the £200 000 bail which he claimed was excessive.
    It's also worth pointing out that just because it's "Not-for-Profit" doesn't mean he cannot take a wage.

How else do charities exist???

I would be surprised if his wages HAD allowed him to pay that much bail....but that's where actors, friends and journos come into it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The entire case is a mess of fabrications, exaggerations and politicking. The irregularities in how it is being handled by the Swedish legal system, and the interference of their government with its comments, indicates to me that he has no chance of getting a fair trial.

4. Thanks to localzuk from:

j17sparky (25th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Would you not be scared if people were bending the law to bring you to court?

Other people posted the bail for him, like the legendary John Pilger.
    Probably not to the point of trying to blackmail a government, no. Nor would I be busy seeking out publicity when keeping below the radar would be a more sensible option.

The problem is that if he's found guilty, people will call foul on the trial without a second's thought - as they're already doing. There's no consideration that there might actually be some charges to answer here, just reactionary nonsense defending him and claiming conspiracy and corruption.

Honestly, if they wanted to get him, they would have by now and I doubt it would've made any headlines.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fit up or no, it seems that one of implications is that being in Sweden makes his extradition to the US more likely. What I haven't really understood is, why?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    Fit up or no, it seems that one of implications is that being in Sweden makes his extradition to the US more likely. What I haven't really understood is, why?
    Good question - it doesn't. The extradition would now require the approval of both Sweden and Britain, not just of Britain.

Thank Post
    Probably not to the point of trying to blackmail a government, no. Nor would I be busy seeking out publicity when keeping below the radar would be a more sensible option.

The problem is that if he's found guilty, people will call foul on the trial without a second's thought - as they're already doing. There's no consideration that there might actually be some charges to answer here, just reactionary nonsense defending him and claiming conspiracy and corruption.

Honestly, if they wanted to get him, they would have by now and I doubt it would've made any headlines.
    Has he ever blackmailed a government?

Theres also little consideration thats he's innocent until proven guilty, especially as the police have already dropped the charges before. Seems to be reactionary group baying for his blood regardless.

To prevent double posting, considering we're giving him to sweden and considering we were happy to rewrite our extradition laws to create a one way stream for the US (mckinnon), the papers are printed and waiting to be signed.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 25th February 2011 at 10:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's the thing - in the current age of information being so freely available, it would've made headlines. There'd be nothing any government could do about it, just like there was nothing they could do about the leaks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Has he ever blackmailed a government?
    WikiLeaks: Julian Assange 'will release damaging secrets if killed or arrested' | Mail Online - first result from Google, among plenty of others.

Theres also little consideration thats he's innocent until proven guilty, especially as the police have already dropped the charges before. Seems to be reactionary group baying for his blood regardless.
    I'm not baying for his blood. I simply think that he should answer the charges brought against him, and shouldn't be let off, defended and seen as a hero simply because he happens to have founded a high-profile organisation.

To prevent double posting, considering we're giving him to sweden and considering we were happy to rewrite our extradition laws to create a one way stream for the US (mckinnon), the papers are printed and waiting to be signed.
    Which would surely mean that, since Sweden are now involved, it's now harder to get an extradition by the US.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That's the thing - in the current age of information being so freely available, it would've made headlines. There'd be nothing any government could do about it, just like there was nothing they could do about the leaks.
    So you're saying that now all information is freely available? Then why do we need wikileaks?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not baying for his blood. I simply think that he should answer the charges brought against him, and shouldn't be let off, defended and seen as a hero simply because he happens to have founded a high-profile organisation.
    The original European Arrest Warrant wanted him for questioning, and questioning alone. It was only after his defence pointed this out that the Swedish authorities have changed their tune and are now saying it is so he can be tried (in a secret court session).

So you're saying that now all information is freely available? Then why do we need wikileaks?
    No, it means that once information is in the hands of the public, it is pretty much impossible to stop it now. So, if they had tried something, it still would've been everywhere due to this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The original European Arrest Warrant wanted him for questioning, and questioning alone. It was only after his defence pointed this out that the Swedish authorities have changed their tune and are now saying it is so he can be tried (in a secret court session).
    From what I understand, a secret court session is fairly standard in these sorts of cases in Sweden. It may also be that they wanted him for questioning to build a stronger case, or dismiss the case as unworkable, but now their hand has been forced and they've decided that the evidence they have is enough to press charges.

No, it means that once information is in the hands of the public, it is pretty much impossible to stop it now. So, if they had tried something, it still would've been everywhere due to this.
    Which requires it to get into the hands of the public in the first place.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From what I understand, a secret court session is fairly standard in these sorts of cases in Sweden. It may also be that they wanted him for questioning to build a stronger case, or dismiss the case as unworkable, but now their hand has been forced and they've decided that the evidence they have is enough to press charges.
    Yes, and secret court cases are simply against the best interests of justice. It also shows that they aren't complying correctly with the extradition laws, in that they were trying to misuse them to get someone to Sweden simply for questioning, rather than for charges. It isn't a choice - you've either got reason enough to push forward with a court case and therefore can extradite him, or you don't and you can't.

Which requires it to get into the hands of the public in the first place.
    I think you're talking about something else here. If the US government had tried something before this publicity, the information would have become public pretty quickly - ie. his friends would have published it. You're trying to make out that governments have some magical way to prevent info becoming public, which they simply don't.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, and secret court cases are simply against the best interests of justice. It also shows that they aren't complying correctly with the extradition laws, in that they were trying to misuse them to get someone to Sweden simply for questioning, rather than for charges. It isn't a choice - you've either got reason enough to push forward with a court case and therefore can extradite him, or you don't and you can't.
    Can you imagine how a public case would go? Whatever happened there'd be riots.

I think you're talking about something else here. If the US government had tried something before this publicity, the information would have become public pretty quickly - ie. his friends would have published it. You're trying to make out that governments have some magical way to prevent info becoming public, which they simply don't.
    And the most information that his 'friends' might have would be 'he's vanished'. Sure, conspiracy theories would crop up, but since they always do I don't see why a government would worry. Alternatively it could be 'he dies of salmonella poisoning', or any of a host of things depending on what they wanted.

If they're willing to break the law in order to get what they want, there's no reason for them to bother doing it in such a stupid way as trying to corrupt the justice system of three countries and one multi-national union.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Tbh it looks like the Swedish charges are fabricated if what you read on various sites is to be believed.
    Then he'll plead not guilty, be found as such and have no case to answer. Won't he?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12