+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, British Reparations in General; Interesting website. Welcome to BritishReparations.org, the official site of the International Coalition for British Reparations. We are a global network ...

Thank Post

British Reparations

Interesting website.

Welcome to BritishReparations.org, the official site of the International Coalition for British Reparations. We are a global network of citizens who have suffered injuries at the hands of the British Empire over the last five hundred years. We've banded together to ask the United Kingdom to compensate the world for all the damage they've done.
    http://www.britishreparations.org/

Opinions?

(incidently this website is made by Americans who have probably killed more british soldiers with friendly fire then the enemy have 8O )

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: British Reparations

The concept of 'reparations' is kinda weird in my mind. There is likely not a country that at some point in its history hasn't been involved in some form of atrocity. To choose the UK as one 'empire' and ask for financial reparations begs the question, why is it down to money? Also, if the UK is to be asked this why not Germany, France, Spain, China, or any of the other countries that were at the centre of empire building schemes.

Yes, ask for apologies and I am sure they will be forthcoming and 100% supported by the people of the country.

If you look at that site they are calling for £71trillion to be spread around the world. Do these people actually have any concept of an economy? Do they realise that the people that that money would come from are mostly normal working people via taxes? I'm sorry but this campaign seems ill conceived and poorly informed. Bankrupting a country for what they see as its historical ills is just as bad as the ills themselves.

Thank Post

From http://www.evilempirebook.com/

So with tongue planted firmly in cheek, Grasse founded the International Coalition for British Reparations.

http://www.evilempirebook.com/mp3/do...bbc_radio4.mp3

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ah, that explains it. With it being American's and having seen similar OTT beliefs for other campaigns it could well have been true... Glad it isn't though!

Thank Post

For what it's worth the "why us and not the others?" thing is a bit moot... The japanese, chinese, germans, et al (even the norwgians recently) have all been approached about this sort of thing. So it's really nothing new.

Thank Post

I'm a bit cold hearted when it comes to reparations. Particularly reparations in regards to war. See, in essence..I dont really stand by the geneva convention and such things. To me, anything goes in war, the enemy is the enemy, uniformed or not as far as I am concerned

Thank Post

I'm still waiting for the apology from Rome to my great, great, great, great, great etc parents. Damn those Romans, what did they ever do for us!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Oh I don't know, Roads, Coinage, Wine, Swimming Pools, Central Heating?

Thank Post

yes but besides the Roads, Coinage, Wine, Swimming Pools, Central Heating what did the romans ever do for us?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts

Just a point - a country cannot apologise for actions taken long before. The people currently running that country can regret the actions of previous incumbents, and state that they would never behave in such a way, but they cannot say sorry for something they did not actually do.

And Jake - whilst I understand why you think war is war, in practice, you would condemn any of your own side to a horrible death.
    You also condone the murder of innocent children, do you?
    Just look at your own offspring and think.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    Children are NEVER innocent.....I know I have two of my own and consequently I have very little hair left

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH

And Jake - whilst I understand why you think war is war, in practice, you would condemn any of your own side to a horrible death.
    As I say, I have a somewhat unique outlook on war. I do indeed condone the killing of anyone of the enemy nation. Man , woman or child. Take world war 1 and 2 for example, how many children from world war 1 grew up to be SS officers in ww2. Take the complexities of modern warfare instead if you like, how many armed children killed soldiers in vietnam? or indeed in the current middle east, how many children carry arms and have killed soldiers? Its not so easy these days to tell the "innocent" child in a war from the not-so innocent.

As for my offspring, of course I wouldnt like it, but I think I could understand the logic behind it. I would expect my enemy to do as much damage to my nation as they could.

Civilian killing makes sense to me, its not the military who make the weapons in a war, its the civilians (much like how the american military production rates were of such benefit in ww2), kill those civvies, and it hampers the military production.

Like I say though, I am different in that view to most others, and I understand thats it not a very "correct" view.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The wiki doesn't appear to have a genocide howto yet, fancy adding it Jake?

Thank Post

Presumably the Americans will also pay reparations to the descendants of all of the original natives of North America they murdered, not to mention all the black africans they condemned to slavery in their plantations?
    People who live in glass houses........ or is it White Houses these days.....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    The wiki doesn't appear to have a genocide howto yet, fancy adding it Jake?
    Hehe..nah its ok, I am not a genocidal maniac, I just see war with a coldblooded logic

See..I should have kept quiet, now its gone and tainted the jolly clown image of me that everyone had !

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast