+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, British Reparations in General; Originally Posted by Jake http://www.edugeek.net/themes/fisubsilversh/images/edugeek5.png \"EduGeek.net\" It should be said that I am in no way a pacifist, I believe ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: British Reparations

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    http://www.edugeek.net/themes/fisubsilversh/images/edugeek5.png
    \"EduGeek.net\"
    It should be said that I am in no way a pacifist, I believe in capital punishment and am a firm believer in an eye for an eye. My clowning is my balance, if it werent for that, I would probably be a serial killer by now.
    Eye for eye until we have no eyes left then what do we move on to...

As for English...

Also remember half of Canada dons't speak english as first language, so you are talking usa, uk, Australia..

Also have to take out half of wales as funny people in south wales, then got Cornwell as well

Well half world does speak it dosn;t make it the international language anyway we all know that is Esperanto...

Russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev

Eye for eye until we have no eyes left then what do we move on to...
    I'd settle for that, humanity long ceased being worthy of having this planet anyway

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    That can't be right, the population of US is approx 300Million, + uk 60Million + autralia, canada etc
    Ah, but the first language for almost half Americans is now Spanish.
    Have you got any sources for that? I find that quite interesting!
    Ke ?[/quote]

Well the CIA factbook proved me wrong. I was quoting a commentator during the last presidential election who was discussing the demographics of the USA in a tv debate, and that's obviously what I thought I heard.
    There are some things I heard, there are some things I think I heard. Then there are some unheard things I know and some ...well, you know how the rest of it goes. My apologies for a misleading quote. As there are some some US memebers of Edugeek out there perhaps they can give us some more up to date figures?

Thank Post

This thread is about being proud to be BRITISH... and I am PROUD of my Country and all it has done

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't say I was proud to be British or that I was proud of 'british accomplishments' as I also find the concept of countries and national pride to be bizarre.

However, I am proud when I see people helping those in need, whichever country they are from or in. I am always angry at those that only work for themselves and give nothing to society at large (I especially hate businesses and millionaires who use every dodge they can in order to reduce their taxes).

To put it bluntly - even though this was a parody - if 'Britain' was to pay reparations, this would be coming from the money I pay through taxes. I oppose slavery in every way shape and form (ie. I'm an animal rights proponent also), so why should the money I pay to improve the lives of those people that live on this island be taken away for something that people did many years ago? Things that I disagree with? That is punishing the innocent.

Thank Post

I wouldn't say I was proud to be British or that I was proud of 'british accomplishments' as I also find the concept of countries and national pride to be bizarre.
    Ahh get a grip man... if you ain't got pride in YOUR country ... well that's sad....

Citizens being patriotic and PROUD of their country makes their countries stronger and a happier place to live...

Just look at the Aussies, Americans, German and French... they are Patriotic Zealots and look ant their countries... PEOPLE WANT TO MOVE THERE...

Look at us in theUK with the sad cases that drag us down with their negativity and selfishness...

You statemet above is really selfish as it shows that you only really care about yourself and maybe your friends and family.... you do belong to a Nation as well...

Thank Post

I must admit, there is alot of things wrong with the US people, but one thing I certainly do admire them on, and cant fault them on, is their level of patriotism. Rightly or wrongly (depending on your viewpoint), they certainly are proud of their country and proud to be american (for the most part)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    Ahh get a grip man... if you ain't got pride in YOUR country ... well that's sad....

Citizens being patriotic and PROUD of their country makes their countries stronger and a happier place to live...

Just look at the Aussies, Americans, German and French... they are Patriotic Zealots and look ant their countries... PEOPLE WANT TO MOVE THERE...
    Absolute rot. I wouldn't want to live in any of those countries. The people are too obsessed with making their 'country' a certain way. The USA are the worst of the bunch.

I am proud of my town - I always jump in and try and give back to the area I live in but I can't say I'm proud to be british because I'm not. Such a generalisation is just a precursor for problems such as wars and racism (look at the BNP, an extreme example of nationalist pride organisation).

Look at us in theUK with the sad cases that drag us down with their negativity and selfishness...

You statemet above is really selfish as it shows that you only really care about yourself and maybe your friends and family.... you do belong to a Nation as well...
    That is just yet another generalisation - you know so little about me, you shouldn't have been able to make such a statement. As I said, I don't like the concept of 'Nations'. It leads to inequality and fighting. Why should this lump of land be proud when other such nations are suffering such big problems? War, famine, poverty, disease etc... National pride is one of thep problems as I see. Realising that we are members of the human race and that we have a responsibility to help those who are worse off than us is far more important than being proud of being 'British'.

What is there to be positive about? That over half of the world suffers whilst the few countries such as ours have problems such as obesity! How decadent can you get?

A lot of the unhappiness in this country is based on mismanagement by the government, the constant desire to buy more stuff (no matter how much people have, they are still unhappy because they want more), and the weather (yes, our climate is a big factor in unhappiness). Blaming it on lack of national pride is nonsense as far as I can see.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I must admit, there is alot of things wrong with the US people, but one thing I certainly do admire them on, and cant fault them on, is their level of patriotism.
    I could. Patriotism in that country has got to the level where if you say anything negative about the government, what they are doing or the state of the country you are denounced as being unpatriotic. How can a country ever improve if they think in that way?

(I have anecdotal evidence of this from relatives who live over there).

Thank Post

To be fair localzuk, I think the US is a bit too big of a country to base a judgement of the entire country on what some relatives in one place in the country say, for instance, I also have relatives there, and I have even spent some years there myself, and I would wager that for every bit of anecdotal evidence you have I have first hand evidence to the contrary. The US is such a big and varied place that there are examples of all sorts of patriotic and non patriotic extremities in it.

On the whole, I still admire their level of patriotism. Compared to here in the UK , I think its a whole different level. Here, I dont know of a single person in real life who actually says they are proud to be English, nearly all in fact say quite the opposite

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Indeed, you probably can counter it. However, the point remains. You just have to look at the fact that there is a law called 'The Patriot Act'... Gives an indication as to how the people in the country think.

However, I will retract the sweeping generalisation, as there are undoubtedly people who aren't like I say. However, there are still many that are.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am proud of both my English and Irish heritage, and I am aware of the successes and failures of both.

I am a patriot ... I believe in national service (it doesn't just have to be the forces ... there are lots of opportunities out there) and I believe that one thing that is destroying bother EIRE and UK is the relience and control from EU. I would rather be Irish/British than anything else (I honestly cannot seperate which takes precedence ... for Rugby it is England, for Football it is Ireland, but I strongly support Scotland, Wales and NI in all their sporting endeavours too)

I believe things like Last Night of the Proms are treasures we shold enjoy and rejoice in (and they are not Jingoistic!), that ceremonial duties of the armed forces are as important as active duty (and the UK do it better than *any* other country!), that the ability to see the lighter side of yourself is key to self-criticism (and no-one smiles at themselves better than the Irish), and the ability to forge links with other countries is important but not at the loss of individual choice of the members citizens / subjects.

I believe that children are the future ... erm ... sorry ... wrong thread ...

I have no problem looking at the faults of the Irish or the British in years gone by ... but to say that we are culpable for those mistakes made by people before I could even vote is ridiculous. I am not culpable for the slave trade ... I am not the person responsible for blowing up the Nelson Pillar ... but I would like to see that people learn from the pain or stupidy of past actions.

Reparations for actions of governments or groups within my own lifetime is one thing ... that is called accountability and even then I find the blame culture is not beneficial to any country around this ... I would rather we accept that certain things were wrong and get on with making sure it doesn't happen again.

Saying that ... can someone please get rid of George W and Tony "I aint bovvered" B?

Thank Post

You just have to look at the fact that there is a law called 'The Patriot Act'... Gives an indication as to how the people in the country think.
    Again, to be fair, that doesnt indicate how the people think, it indicates how the government think. I would hate someone to say that any of Blairs policies reflect on how I personally think

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Again, to be fair, that doesnt indicate how the people think, it indicates how the government think. I would hate someone to say that any of Blairs policies reflect on how I personally think
    Ah, but it is a government that is voted in by the people... The people in congress are voted in, the president is voted in. So a majority of the people supported putting those people in power, so a majority of the country support that view by proxy.

If they don't support the policies then they shouldn't vote those people in. Everyone knows what the Republicans stand for, everyone knows what GW Bush supports... But anyway, this is kinda beyond the point, the point is that reparations due to the history of a country is wrong. Being proud of a country, in my view, is also pointless when there are so many people who suffer whilst we sit here with our fancy computers and cars... I'll be quiet again now.

Thank Post

But that doesnt help if policies are made in between elections, you cant backward vote someone out of office if they later decide to do something you disagree with. Just look at the stuff Labour has brought in that I disagree with.

Well..short of revolution that is.

Not to mention that since when is an elected government elected by the majority?

Frankly its been decades since I last recall any government (US or UK), being elected by the majority of its actual populace. So no..a majority of people did not put those people in power, and thus a majority of people do not support a decision by proxy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast