+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unfriendly Article vents at Edugeek and its members in General; Originally Posted by CyberNerd Isn't really an IT problem (that I need to worry about) it happens in school anyway ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Isn't really an IT problem (that I need to worry about) it happens in school anyway as some kids will always have the expensive iphones (or trainers), my job is to help integrate those devices into our network, so they can at least use them for learning. We're probably going to offer netbooks to our yr 9 group next year, so even those that don't have a device will get a free one.
    It is an IT problem (its everyone's problem in a school, you can't isolate your department like that IMO), but not a technical one. Its one that will affect children and their behaviour, performance and ability to work. Just because something happens already doesn't mean you should be introducing new areas to help it along!! We have uniforms in our school to deal with this sort of issue, as do many schools.

You say 'make sure things are standard', but IT just isn't. Look at iphones - no flash support, meaning massive areas of the internet are unusable to those users (especially within the education sector). Its a nice idea, but it just isn't workable for most places.
    Last edited by localzuk; 20th February 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    The cloud - Single Point Of Failure. last year we had a whole week without internet because of Easynet's huge outage. This is something I made the school aware of when ideas were floating around in using the cloud for everything.
    No internet connection means, no E-mail, no word documents, no office apps, no whiteboard files. Basically NO everything. At least when we had no internet connection we had internal E-mail, and access to every file ever created and office applications. Also I had to remind our ICT co-co-ordinator we only have a 6 meg download and 512k upload connection [ shared ] because of our location - Google Mail, Google Apps and data held on-line would really not work.
    Cloud computing [ in my opinion ] is nice as a 'tool' but certainly not an alternative to a proper local network with elements of redundancy.

The idea of mobile devices to me is another stupid concept - how many different OS will we end up having to support ? Something may work on one device but not work properly on another or you may have to do something different depending on the version of the OS you are working on etc etc. All for the sake of a simple word document you may end up spending [ wasting ] an hour trying to get hold of the file and then another hour trying to get it to display correctly.

The idea of KISS [ Keep It Simple Stupid ] seems again [ in my own opinion ] slowly disappearing within schools and LAs as staff [ teaching ] who have no experience on actually supporting the technology end up making huge expensive decisions on something they are not qualified to do so. Just like the person who wrote the original article.
    Just because you 'teach' it does not mean you understand it. There are huge differences - problem is teachers don't like it when you point that out to them.
    Last edited by mattx; 20th February 2011 at 03:28 PM.

3. 7 Thanks to mattx:

Dos_Box (20th February 2011), Gonk (24th February 2011), linuxgirlie (27th May 2011), nephilim (20th February 2011), SimpleSi (20th February 2011), stitch (22nd February 2011), ZeroHour (20th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Further to Mattx's comment about a single point of failure - unless you live in a big town or a city, tackling that issue is very difficult. 2 internet connections may sound like a fix, but in many cases they'll follow the same conduit back to the same exchange/point of presence. So, unless you can multi-home your connections, you're still going to end up with a situation where a digger can cut you off, or a software misconfig at your ISP can knock you off too.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

mattx (20th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Playing devils advocate with the single point of failure bit, what about all these magic phones that they will all have and use for everything. Surely they will all have free unlimited data plans therby heroicly saving the school day. Of course they will also all work for a whole day on a single charge on WiFi or Cellular data under constant use and will attract unicorns for good measure. :P

I totally agree though, the infrastructure for this to work propperly only exists in very few areas. 10-100mbits would not go very far when you are talking about 500 users let alone 1300 and above at some of the schools here. When you are putting in servers with 10GB trunks because of bandwidth constraints and are told to outsource everything to the cloud over a 100MBit/s link its really hard not to cringe.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 20th February 2011 at 04:11 PM.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mattx (20th February 2011)

Thank Post
    I think Synack got caught out with his first post - Rule 1 - don't feed trolls (or stop to talk about/to them)

He probably only stuck the work edugeek in there to increase his chances of getting his blog read

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I think Synack got caught out with his first post - Rule 1 - don't feed trolls (or stop to talk about/to them)

He probably only stuck the work edugeek in there to increase his chances of getting his blog read

Si
    Yea, I thought he was probably trolling but I thought that it was important that his viewpoint got discussed and disected just incase anyone actually took it seriously. That is my main concern, even though there are small bits of good stuff in there I worry that his readers may actually take him seriously with results approximating that of telling everyone with an odd numbered numberplate to drive on the wrong side of all roads.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 20th February 2011 at 09:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Let me see..........
    a) I write a blog for an online computer magazine.
    b) Advertising pays for this so the more people who access the blog the better, ie more money!!!
    c) I don't really know or understand much about the subject I blog about so I take the Daily Mail approach .......... see what other people say and shout about bits of it even though I don't understand it, which means I often (but not always) miss the point.
    d) When challenged I don't respond ......... mainly because that would involve making a reasoned argument ........... very difficult when I have no idea what goes on in the real world of education.
    e) Nobody reads my blog because it's rubbish and so the editor starts leaning on me.
    f) How can I increase the numbers of people accessing it? I know, I'll make a point of insulting a large group of people who do have some idea! they will then start accessing the blog which will keep the advertisers happy.

Simples!!!!

11. 3 Thanks to SteveT:

Fatmas (21st February 2011), mattx (20th February 2011), SimpleSi (21st February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    f) How can I increase the numbers of people accessing it? I know, I'll make a point of insulting a large group of people who do have some idea! they will then start accessing the blog which will keep the advertisers happy.

Simples!!!!
    Hehehe, jokes on him then as I imagine that a very large chunk of those visitors would be running ad blocking for sites that are not worth supporting. Most of the school filters around here block ads for the whole site by default. You're right though, unfourtunatly there is not a global moderation system for cluelessness and so the internet remains a largely unreliable mess of lunacy lightly peppered (in comparison) with worthwile and well reasoned information and ideas.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 759 Posts
    Why are we giving this person any credence?

We all strive to introduce elements of new technology to enhance the teaching and learning within our schools but let us focus on reality as to why we don't have all this futuristic technology:

1. Budgetary restraints
    2. Students from deprived backgrounds
    3. Expertise within schools
    4. Strategies for safe use (safeguarding)
    5. Logistics

Last but not least and this person was probably one of them:
    6. Ineffectual teachers who think the latest technology brings out the best in students.

Having read quite a few American stories through the years about their education it is no wonder in some states it's falling down around their ears:

7. Large campuses (Their take on BSF) arose 10 years before we followed suit and we should have taken notice of their failings, one of which New York have gone back to small schools (averaging 500 students) and has had approx a 17% increase in student grades.

8. It seems quite a few of these so called IT expert bloggers seem to want to push a certain kind of technology (Iphones and Ipads) not that I have anything against this but as American students have stated when students are bored (seems to be a growing theme) they will do anything not to listen to the teaching and therefore giving them even more devices on which they could disrupt the lesson seems rather counteractive.

I could go on but this would only give cause to this persons credibility and I as one find it highly unlikely that he deserves this.

I do think that some teachers have the good sense to know their limitations but some born from their huge ego's need to have them massaged and therefore the internet is the biggest and best place to get themselves noticed and it shows in their blogs.

I do think this person has an axe to grind but I cannot for the life of me understand why as I would think he would embrace Edugeek as another way of getting his message across in a more polite way with a more informed and technologically sound footing.

I don't wish to knock this person as some of what he spouts does make a little sense but only a little mind and in his idealistic world he feels safe because of this.

Good luck to him as he will need it with counteractive blogging against the very system that gave him a very lucrative standard of living is the very system he is trying to pull down....................Education in schools.

14. 2 Thanks to bossman:

mattx (20th February 2011), SimpleSi (21st February 2011)

Thank Post
    I worry that his readers may actually take him seriously
    He calls himself sp.....man and says he like chucking sp....rs in the works so he knows he's a plonker.

Be a bit like me writing about the relative merits of radius authentication vs LDAP - the words mean something but the whole sentence is b*&&*cks and what would you expect of someone calling themselves SimpleSi

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I'm not sure who John Spencer is (somebody that has taught IT for the last 30 years apparently) but he must have had bad dealings with an EduGeek member at some point. It is clear that he doesn't read EduGeek or he would know that EduGeek members were the first in the world to deploy Windows 7 and Office 2010 across whole sites and we lead the way in discussions regarding virtualisation and other technologies.

We'll take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh about it with the guys at Microsoft next week
    You're right, he clearly doesn't spend much (if any) time on the site. If he did he would see that FragglePete and myself deployed Windows 7 throughout the school in the summer!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    by the time students get into a working environment they will be using the 'gimmicky' technology. They are life skills that need to be taught, surely you must recognise that. Our school is basing it's entire IT strategy on the premise that what can be done in school using schools IT facilities can also be done on students home equipment, in school or out of it. I'm certain that adopting a university type system, where students generally have their own devices, is critical to embedding technology into teaching and learning.

disclaimer. I am not a teacher
    I totally agree, we need to educate the students in the proper use of these items as they are using them widely already. There are far greater risks crossing the roads but we educate them in safe practice, not stop them from doing it.

18. Thanks to NikChillin from:

SimpleSi (21st February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmas View Post
    You're right, he clearly doesn't spend much (if any) time on the site. If he did he would see that FragglePete and myself deployed Windows 7 throughout the school in the summer!
    For my College, we've had W7 and Office 2007 installed on Staff laptops for 18months, and a steady roll-out over the student domain, over the last year or so.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest I find some of this laughable ... He is prodding folk into having a conversation about stuff that some seem to find a bit disturbing ... but some folk (even jokingly) are taking personal stabs at him.

Debunk the ideas, not the person. To discredit the person is the lowest form of counter-argument and I thought some of you were above that.

Yes, he knows EG and so posts things which he knows will spark things off (rightly or wrongly) ... he has done it on here to so calling him a coward is out of order.

I'm off to do some plastering and I look forward to coming back in this evening and reading more of the sensible stuff, which some of you are doing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And what a surprise ... noting else has been added ... because there was not that much sensible being talked about perhaps?

I hope some folk do take up the offer of writing for CW ... and if so, then why the heck do you not write for EG! Perhaps we need to give the blog posts of some members more of a push for folk to read ... some of the EG blogs are brillaint.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast