+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unfriendly Article vents at Edugeek and its members in General; Lets look at one of the UK's major industries - banking. Many banks only changed to Windows XP in the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,931 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lets look at one of the UK's major industries - banking. Many banks only changed to Windows XP in the last 3 years.

Or look at the small businesses in town - go into an estate agents here, and guess what is running on their machines? Some run XP, some run Windows 2000.

How about cash machines? Some are still running Windows 98! Some are running XP embedded.

Face it, businesses are very rarely up to date.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    This guy View Profile: spannerman2 - EduGeek.net who has had quite heated debates along simmilar unthought out lines here before.
    Oh dear he hasn't made any friends yet......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post

Actually I don't. General usage of input devices, and understanding the principles needed to learn a new interface, those are life skills that need to be taught.
    THats sort of what I was talking about - students should be using a range of tech - Androids, iphones, Windows. moving to an infrastructure that supports a wide variety of devices can only be a good thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 816 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Just remember phones ARE computers My current phone is a higher spec than I ever used at university. In a couple of years they will be the handmedowns of our yr 7. IMO it is critical that life skills such as safe internet use, research, writing documents etc is done using this technology
    You current phone is vastly inferior to a current computer or the computer you used at uni, its a phone..... Who cares if the processors were 400mhz a few years ago, saying its as powerful as that is pointless as even though it may have similar performance its still not as fully equipped as a current computer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    You current phone is vastly inferior to a current computer or the computer you used at uni, its a phone..... Who cares if the processors were 400mhz a few years ago, saying its as powerful as that is pointless as even though it may have similar performance its still not as fully equipped as a current computer.
    my phone has a root shell.... what can't it do that my computer of ten years ago could do?????
    granted. it doesn't have a cd player.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    my phone has a root shell.... what can't it do that my computer of ten years ago could do?????
    granted. it doesn't have a cd player.
    Graphical design work, proper video editing, 3d design, etc...

7. 4 Thanks to localzuk:

jamesb (19th February 2011), nephilim (19th February 2011), SYSMAN_MK (19th February 2011), ZeroHour (19th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Graphical design work, proper video editing, 3d design, etc...
    I don't think my old uni machine could do that either. it browsed the web and created documents...

btw- Honeycombe does have a video editing app, there are plenty of picture editors around too, which some of our students upload the results directly to their picasa accounts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think my old uni machine could do that either. it browsed the web and created documents...

btw- Honeycombe does have a video editing app, there are plenty of picture editors around too, which some of our students upload the results directly to their picasa accounts
    Mine could. I was playing in Bryce 3D on my home machine 10 years ago. I was using an imac 11 years ago with imovie. The apps for video editing on phones are no-where near as advanced.

The same can be said of photo editing. The tools available on phones are minimal at best.
    Last edited by localzuk; 19th February 2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: fix year when I got an imac

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Mine could. I was playing in Bryce 3D on my home machine 10 years ago. I was using an imac 7 years ago with imovie. The apps for video editing on phones are no-where near as advanced.

The same can be said of photo editing. The tools available on phones are minimal at best.
    thinking about it, it was nearer 1997. it wouldn't even play a movie. but anyway the point that I was trying to make is that I don't fundamentally disagree with the article. The end goal (for our school) is to embed ICT into the curriculum, and using a range of different methods is better than a one size fits all approach.

My goal (as defined by SLT) is to create a safe infrastructure that supports a wide range of devices and application- where the students may have admin access to their own equipment. It's entirely do-able. granted not for all schools, but it is certainly an innovative way of looking at technology, removing some of the traditional barriers. I think we, as technicians, need to look outside of hte box occasionally.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is it me or does that article gradually descend into rambling? MS paying for things, huh? I don't get what he is trying to say beyond a few points about moving from Office to Google Apps (which funnily enough would be perfect for his Open Source company if it became standard...)

There are also 3 reasons why we still run XP:

1) Money is tight. We don't live in a pre-budget cut happy fairy land any more.
    2) Still testing it on the teachers anyway which is throwing up it's own bugs.
    3) SIMS has only recently caught up with Windows 7 and soon Office 2010. That will see more people upgrading in the upcoming Summer upgrades season.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can see Windows XP still being used (not just in schools) in 5 - 10 years time from now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I can see Windows XP still being used (not just in schools) in 5 - 10 years time from now.
    the only thing that will kill it is driver support imo as tbh what can you do with win7 you cant wint xp?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reading his other articles with Edugeek tagged, I can't say anything polite about the moron, frankly. Perhaps he has had a bad experience, or just has a very narrow view of things. I hope so for his sake, otherwise his ramblings will just go unnoticed by the majority of schools that do appreciate the work put into school infrastructures and more importantly how much those infrastructures can do for the education of the children therein. He's certainly picked a narrow archetype of persona here - perhaps he simply needs to open his mind and eyes a little more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Reading his other articles with Edugeek tagged, I can't say anything polite about the moron, frankly. Perhaps he has had a bad experience, or just has a very narrow view of things. I hope so for his sake, otherwise his ramblings will just go unnoticed by the majority of schools that do appreciate the work put into school infrastructures and more importantly how much those infrastructures can do for the education of the children therein. He's certainly picked a narrow archetype of persona here - perhaps he simply needs to open his mind and eyes a little more.
    Those who can't learn, preach.

16. Thanks to jamesb from:

synaesthesia (19th February 2011)

Thank Post
    May I suggest that Dr Tool.. err sorry Spannerman - actually "tool" is a better description..

As I was saying.. may I suggest that he invests in a new Quill and Inkwell. or a box of Chalk and a blackboard Slate.
    Then he won't need to worry about IT/ICT any more..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast