+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Why use live@edu or Google Apps for Education- discuss in General; Originally Posted by nadeem I didn't say anything about the Data Protection *Act* - there are plenty of legal frameworks ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
    I didn't say anything about the Data Protection *Act* - there are plenty of legal frameworks between the USA and UK/EU that aren't necessarily equal. For example there was huge debate recently with the HE community about a similar situtation whereby the legal advice was that for the UK side of the operation that irregardless of Safe Harbor had to be hosted on UK/EU servers. I was talking about Data Protection in general - for example as part of the the thinking I did about moving some email to Live@edu or Google was the issue of data not being on our servers at all.
    If you have a problem with a company then no matter where they are you will always find a problem. If they have agreed to stick to a set of rules / laws then that is what they have agreed to stick with, no matter where the servers are. Often the legal advice is not centred around the data protection but linked to criminal investigation (can police get access if needed), ownership of assets (if we have a problems, and are owed money / compensation / etc, can we seize assets) and so on.

The move to stick data elsewhere is not so much linked to data protection for most people, but FoI, document retention schedules, archiving, etc. *Those* are the things that can cause headaches.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    If you have a problem with a company then no matter where they are you will always find a problem. If they have agreed to stick to a set of rules / laws then that is what they have agreed to stick with, no matter where the servers are. Often the legal advice is not centred around the data protection but linked to criminal investigation (can police get access if needed), ownership of assets (if we have a problems, and are owed money / compensation / etc, can we seize assets) and so on.

The move to stick data elsewhere is not so much linked to data protection for most people, but FoI, document retention schedules, archiving, etc. *Those* are the things that can cause headaches.
    You put that so much better than I did - that's the kind of thing I meant.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just another question on it (I don't really want to try either as we have enough of a major project coming up!).
    If the internet dies at the school, what can be achieved in lessons? Can documents still be accessed somehow, and can internal emails still be sent?

Thank Post
    Both systems have software for syncing with local server or users can choose to backup work / folders. Email would be a no no.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    If the internet dies at the school, what can be achieved in lessons? Can documents still be accessed somehow, and can internal emails still be sent?
    If uptime is your deciding factor, it really comes down to deciding which is likely to have a better uptime, your Internet connection or your internal mail server.

If you have a flaky connection, don't go to the cloud. If your connection almost never goes down, it may be a better option than keeping mail onsite - unless your SMT are the sort who care less about uptime stats and more about being able blame someone nearby and shout at them when things don't work.

For us, staff email is staying onsite for now. My Exchange server has so far been very reliable, and the vast majority of our staff email use in internal. I don't have any burning need to throw all of those 10MB+ attachments out to an external server and then have 100 copies downloaded back again.

Thank Post
    I am also keeping my old mail system but using the other elements that come with Google or @edu. Then at some point down the road I have the option to switch.

Thank Post
    Looking really seriously at Google Apps; like the pitches of both 365 and Google but from what I can see Google will be cheaper route (plus as personal GMail and Apps user I may be biased) but still trying to get my head around the SSO side of things and email filtering/tracking/retention. Anybody using Postini additional service? Is it needed? Working with head of ICT who's starting to see potential of online shared documents plus presenting to head and assistant head next week so keen to line my ducks up....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hudzen76 View Post
    Looking really seriously at Google Apps; like the pitches of both 365 and Google but from what I can see Google will be cheaper route (plus as personal GMail and Apps user I may be biased) but still trying to get my head around the SSO side of things and email filtering/tracking/retention. Anybody using Postini additional service? Is it needed? Working with head of ICT who's starting to see potential of online shared documents plus presenting to head and assistant head next week so keen to line my ducks up....
    Postini is really good, well worth having. Not only is Google the cheaper route, there are many more services integrated into google than 365. With things like secure data connector, app engine and visualization api you can do easily build your own services based on internal data (from SIMS) etc.
    Our IT team are very keen on this, it has huge potential to change how (office) systems are used.

9. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

hudzen76 (8th March 2011)

Thank Post
    secure data connector, app engine and visualization api you can do easily build your own services based on internal data (from SIMS)
    Have you got any info / websites to start me off, especial Sims related. New to Google and trying to find my way around all the different non standard parts is a bit daunting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Have you got any info / websites to start me off, especial Sims related. New to Google and trying to find my way around all the different non standard parts is a bit daunting.

Google Secure Data Connector - Google Code

Google Chart Tools - Google Code

What Is Google App Engine? - Google App Engine - Google Code

edit : in relation to SIMS.
    Google secure data connector imports XML into google apps. SIMS Commandreporter exports XML data. Publish this data to a webserver on SIMS and have the SDC pick it up. voila. Live SIMS data in Google ;-) ready for your appengine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12