+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Edugeek on Wikipedia in General; Originally Posted by somabc Audience Snapshot - Based on internet averages, edugeek.net is visited more frequently by males who are ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Audience Snapshot -
    Based on internet averages, edugeek.net is visited more frequently by males who are in the age range 25-34 and browse this site from work.

Citation - Edugeek.net Site Info
    What happens if I have a sex change ? [ I'm thinking about it ]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MSDN and MSDN blogs carry some weight with reference to sites - if memory and a brief google-recap tells me right, there's been a fair few references to Edugeek directly therein? Is that worth a go?
    Also RM link to Edugeek for a review of their Slate - that can't really be bad, or would that be seen as self promotion?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you do have to be careful of the 'advertising' side of things ... many companies are very adept at being able to advertise via Wikipedia through careful use of references, citations through others, but it is a dangerous line to walk and you have to be a seriously large / noted company to be able to get away with a fair few things.

Thank Post
    Do references within other Wikipedia articles count for anything? RM plc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external link at bottom of page) and Becta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (reference 29)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IIRC (and Tony can correct me here) you are only meant to link in the body of the article. References and external links should be external references and external links, the same way if you cite a known fact in a thesis, you have to put where you got the known fact from.

Unless EduGeek appears in the body of an article then that article is not supportive of the EG entry.

This is not a prod for people to add EduGeek into the body of articles ... that gets spotted very quickly as a tactic to bolster a naff Page.

The original attempt at putting and entry for EduGeek was as an addition to the word geek ... in fact to create a stub. EduGeek the forum and the company would have followed on from this, but there were not enough substantive or notable reference to the use of the phrase to describe geeks working in education. Just because we use it as a term, and it has been used by others, if it is not down in writing purely as a term on its own (ie not associated with members of this site) then it will get scrubbed. The fact that a stub is created to allow others to expand is the secret ... but some editors don't like stubs. They get rid of them as untidy.

In other encyclopedia you will have a 'published' article and a working article (terminology may vary depending on publishing house and / or researcher). You can stick what you like in the working article as the editor will not release it to the wild until it is a substantiated article with noted references, etc ... but with Wikipedia it is all in together and whilst that is fantastic to see the open development of articles it means that you get less time to keep an editor happy.

And at the moment it seems to be a New York second, but the editors will say they are only enforcing the rules.

Since EG does have a wiki there is nothing stopping the existing article (as it is) going onto it, for it to continue to be worked on and developed, for any possible reference to be dug out (we have had a number of sponsors for all those events you know ... most of them will have had articles on their websites and if they also have wikipedia entries they must be notable) and then it is developed until a number of Wikipedia regulars can review it, play the role of critical friend ... and then stick it onto wikipedia.

Even then it might not stick, but they only way you will find out anymore is by sticking stuff up. Eventually you get something that meets the rules ... and the interpretation of those rules ... or you get a news story out of it from El Reg.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know i know, i need to get my bottom into gear....goddamnit!

I quite liked our original DB, and they did say if we made it less advertisy we could use it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The issue that stands at the moment is not the content of the article that exists now, rather whether the site is notable. Notability is difficult to prove for a niche site like this, and ideally what we need is a notable publication (eg. a national magazine, paper or organisation that is itself notable) to produce a piece about the site, and not simply mentioning it somewhere. (The register articles are good here, but we need another I think really).

However, any other sources that mention it in passing add more weight to its standing.

The article as it is at the moment seems to be leaning towards a weak keep on the request for deletion discussion going on. (Note, do not attempt to go there en-masse and weigh in, as that will just get you banned from editing and shouted at). The best thing that can be done is fleshing it out more and making it more presentable, whilst keeping the advertising and opinions/original research to a minimum (eg. avoid weasel words).

Tony is correct also - only external references can be used, internal ones (ie. linking to other parts of wikipedia) are not allowed except to allow someone to look at that subject (like how Becta is linked at the moment).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The one that DB created and i've uploaded seems to be still there at the moment...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    What happens if I have a sex change ? [ I'm thinking about it ]
    I've changed my mind and it's yes to the proposal of marriage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Probably worth doing something on conferences and referencing that within it LittleMiss

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    First conference was in 2005. I will update the EG wiki later with all the conference details from the first to the proposed one for this year.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, the EG Wiki is playing up so rather than battle it here is a summary to be worked into something. It is not a complete picture and some folk (including me, Russ, Chris and others) will have to fill in some gaps.

EduGeek Conferences (organised and run by EG staff and members, with a variety of speakers organised and chosen by EG staff) : speaker and sponsor details to be filled in later, but most is on the EG Wiki.

26.10.2005 - EduGeek Conference (Midlands) : Lodge Park Community College, Corby, Northants
    19.04.2006 - EduGeek Conference (North) : Rochdale City Learning College
    25.10.2006 - EduGeek Conference (South) : South Camden City Learning Centre
    24.10.2007 - EduGeek Conference (Midlands) : Lodge Park Community College, Corby, Northants
    29.05.2008 - EduGeek Annual Conference : Lancashire Schools' ICT Centre, Chorley, Lancashire
    28.05.2009 - EduGeek Annual Conference : Lancashire Schools' ICT Centre, Chorley, Lancashire
    02.06.2010 - EduGeek Annual Conference : Lancashire Schools' ICT Centre, Chorley, Lancashire
    02.06.2011 - EduGeek Annual Conference : Westleigh Conference Centre, Preston, Lancashire

Other EduGeek Co-hosted / sponsored events

30.03.2006 - Task-IT / ICT Register / EduGeek workshop : Task-IT Training Centre, Hemel Hempstead
    16.08.2006 - Microsoft / ICT Register / EduGeek Workshop : Microsoft Campus, Reading
    21.08.2009 - Microsoft / EduGeek Windows Workshop : Microsoft Campus, Reading
    24.02.2011 - Microsoft / EduGeek Conference : Microsoft Campus, Reading

I'm pretty sure I have missed off a few there ... possibly some with RM ... Russ would probably remember more than me.

Other events notably attended by or supported by EduGeek / EduGeek members (where they wish to be noted as representatives of EduGeek with agreement from DB)

29.03.2007 - London Grid for Learning Technicians' Conference
    May 2007 - Becta Educational Standards & Specifications (Various)
    02.05.2007 - Becta Learning Platform Standards Review Workshop (Various)
    10.03.2009 - EMBC IT Conference : Imago, Loughborough University (Various)
    24.11.2009 - OFQUAL review of E-Assessment (Chris Byers / Tony Sheppard)
    26.01.2011 - IDG / Microsoft / EduGeek Webinar

To be added into the above are a number of events where Admins, mods or noted EG members have spoken *and have stated they are EG members / mods / staff / admins*. This includes Chris at the LGfL conference (forgot the year, sorry Chris) and other events, the BSF meeting, me at various Open Source / Sharepoint things, Russ at various events, a number of Becta working groups (Functional and Technical Specifications, Data Protection, etc)

Tradeshows

BETT Technical Help Point - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 (representation of EduGeek at Bett 2006 was on the ICT Register stand and not officially noted by EMAP)
    Learning Without Frontiers - 2011
    ISTE 2010
    Last edited by GrumbleDook; 27th February 2011 at 12:54 AM.

15. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Little-Miss (27th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Various EduGeek.net Members Spoke at Rm Technical Seminars About Self Review Framework The ICT Technicians View -2007
    NAACE Naace Think Tank Parental Engagement - I was a speaker - March 2010
    EduGeek.Net Open Source Schools UnConference Nottingham - I spoke about green computing - July 2009
    Leicestershire Schools Network - I spoke at Various meetings (saving money and green computing) - 2010

That is off the top of my head.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast