+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Microsoft Schools Agreement in General; Just had a call from a supplier who claims that Microsoft Schools Agreement prices are now based on the number ...

Thank Post

Microsoft Schools Agreement

Just had a call from a supplier who claims that Microsoft Schools Agreement prices are now based on the number of full-time employees rather than users.

Is there any truth to this, and if so how does it work?

Thank Post
    Yes its true !!!! I havent had the figures per FTE yet but for us it should decrease the cost PA ... Theres a lot of debate about what consititutes a full time emplyee though ....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes this is true, see Microsoft UK Education - Types of Educational Licence - EES the quote we've had back for budgeting has a saving of 10K form last year!

Thank Post
    So can anyone tell me what kind of cost this could be for a school off 650 pupils and say 80 FT staff, compared to the way it used to work?

I don't know how you would work it out so if you need more details let me know

Thank Post
    I've heard the same, from what I heard it starts on the 1/3/11. Here is the website i've found. Microsoft UK Education - Types of Educational Licence - EES

Or you can do a search on google for Microsoft EES. I think it's purchasing licence's for full time staff rather than for the number of PC's.

I still haven't got a price from anyone on what the Professional Desktop Platform costs per member of staff. All the suppliers want me to provide them with the number of full time staff here before they'll tell me, unfortunatly no body at our place has the time to provide me with this information.

Thank Post
    I heard that a full time meber of staff is someone who works 2000 hours+ we have part time mebers of staff that I understand you can add together to make one full time member of staff.

For instance if you had 3 part time mebers of staff where 2 worked 1500 hours and 1 worked 1000 hours you can add them all together to make 4000 hours meaning you only need 2 licences.

I think thats how it works.

Just got a quote from a supplier for the desktop package, £37.74
    Last edited by dezt; 16th February 2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: got price per full time staff

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I was under the impression that Full Time in Microsoft's eyes was over 200 hours a year. In our case this means everyone is classed as full time. You don't have to include people that don't use a computer though. This for us would be caretakers, canteen staff and cleaners. It still works out a lot cheaper than licensing per PC.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I only tend to read posts with an interesting title. We're not MSA at the moment, and it's not my area so I tend not to read things like that. Was just asked to look into it by a colleague hence why I posted up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dezt View Post
    I heard that a full time meber of staff is someone who works 2000 hours+ we have part time mebers of staff that I understand you can add together to make one full time member of staff.

For instance if you had 3 part time mebers of staff where 2 worked 1500 hours and 1 worked 1000 hours you can add them all together to make 4000 hours meaning you only need 2 licences.

I think thats how it works.

Just got a quote from a supplier for the desktop package, £37.74
    Not 2000 hours, its 200 hours.

Thank Post
    We just got some provisional quotes in based on 750 desktops vs 150 FTE count and the saving was around £13k!

Apparently an FTE count is calculated based on full time + part time who do over 200hrs pa.

Thank Post
    The supplier got their terminology slightly incorrect - you can still buy Schools Agreement (ie desktop count), the new agreement is Enrolment for Education Solutions, as mentioned above, based on FTE count. For comparison purposes you need to be considering ~£25 per desktop or (from detz above) ~£38 per FTE. I would guess that this is for standard CAL pack, does anyone know enterprise desktop suite pricing? Renewal's at end of July, so I've got plenty of time! In most secondary school cases I would think that EES will be more cost effective than SA was, and may also get a few Select agreement persons to move across. It'll be interesting to see what primary schools find with regards to this vs Select.

Thank Post
    We too have been looking at this, yes its 200 hrs a year.

It is a route we want to take, I think we worked out that for us its about 8k a year, based on 200 full time staff.

In all honesty, MS should have done this ages ago, think they finally realised Education is catching up big time with IT.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 721 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what primary schools find with regards to this vs Select.
    Think it will depend on where the Primaries are with regards to their SA purchases.

For example a primary school who have say 100 desktops with a mix of OEM licences for XP/Vista Pro and SA Office 2K3/2K7 would be looking at approx £75-£80 per desktop to move over to W7 Pro / Office 2K10 so £7500 - £8000 not to mention the added cost for any additional machines down the line.

The average FTE count of the primaries I support is 32 so under ESS the cost to roll out W7 Pro / Office 2K10 would be around about the £1200 mark. This also covers any additional desktops down the line.

Yes this is an annual cost, and I know that a lot of primaries like to know they own what they have paid for but IMO the benefits of ESS outweighs this.

Just my 2p.

Thank Post
    Sorry abut the 2000+ hours bit, just had confirmation from our supplier that it is indeed 200 hours, so we would be looking at about 100 full time staff. works out arond £3,800 for us rather than 450 desktops at £25 each, works out at £11,250. masive savings for us.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast