+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, They're wild in this school! in General; Last night I was asked if science could have some software they purchased installed, I agreed as it was only ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

They're wild in this school!

Last night I was asked if science could have some software they purchased installed, I agreed as it was only for 4 teacher machines but they were all in use (finishing reports) till my time to leave last night. So first thing this morning I went to install this software, sat at the computer and began booting it when a little robin flew over and landed on the monitor, ive no idea how it got in but I proped the back door open and tryed to get it in that direction which didnt work, it was having way too much fun flying between the projector, board and cabinet.

I informed the other staff (the room was also empty till lunch time) that it was in there and the door was left open, all equiptment turned off and it didnt leave the room for almost another 2 hours

Thank Post
    Had a robin stuck in the stair well in ICT dept. It didnt want to go back out and was scaring the pupils so had to catch it and release it. Ninja reflexes and soft hands helped, as it semed quite comfy when I released it outside it flew a meter away and just stood there looking at me!! Strange!!!

Also had a squirrel stuck in one of the ICT rooms but didnt try and catch that as they can bite your finger off, so just eventually shoed it down the fire exit!!

Nowt like mixing a bit of naturewatch into every day school life!!!! You don't get that kinda interesting daily variation in industry!!!

Butuz

Thank Post
    We get birds (often seagulls) in our atrium - the site manager shoots them with an air rifle

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 730 Posts
    We had a baby squirrel once, it was amazingly tame, found by a cleaner as she put her brush under the stair well and pulled it out with the squirrel sat on it! It was quite happy scurrying up to people for a bit of fuss and let you hold it with no problems... we were worried that if it got near any of the kids it might get hurt though so we released it in a nearby field...

Thank Post
    @Butuz the kids were scared of a Robin??

Thank Post
    We've had birds fly in and every year we have a duck who lays her eggs in one of our quads. We have to open the doors onto the field and she shepherds the chicks out when they hatch.

We also had a small bat get into one of the stair wells once.

Thank Post
    We get ducks swimming around on our playing fields. The water levels are rising, so they'll be back soon!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've had bats, frogs, birds, cats, dogs and I think a few lizards wandering around the school over the last few years. We mostly just leave them alone, as do the kids. The bat was very cute though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    We get birds (often seagulls) in our atrium - the site manager shoots them with an air rifle
    Don't think that would go down too well in many schools, we have had pheasants in a few times in the main corridor

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    We have a regular visitor to my office (well i think its the same bird same type anyway! plus it knows how to get in our stupid window!) pops in every couple of weeks flys around a bit then goes out after 5/10 mins

after the 10/11th time i just tend to ignore it apart from shutting the door so it doesn't fly into the corridor.

Thank Post
    We have foxes. We have their stinking cr@p everywhere.

Thank Post
    At my last school we had badgers living under the mobile block they had a habit of eating the network cables under the floors even through the steel channels. The teachers did seem less annoyed tho when we told them it wasn't the rats.:-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,476 Posts
    One school locally backs on to the heath and so has deer, squirrels (who caused a fire once chewing through wires), badgers, seagulls and rats.
    The school has banned any snack in a packet like crisps (the children can bring them in a plastic box) as the rats and seagulls will pull the packets out of the bins.
    My school just has a neighbours cat who is to be found asleep on a chair somewhere around every day!

Thank Post
    We had a deer with its head stuck in the railings a while back, also a tame very fat squirrel that eats all the fast food that the kids drop everywhere.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Boom! Headshot!

MMMMMMMMMONNNNSTER KILL

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast