+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, ID cards/badges in General; A post on here yesterday got me thinking... How many of the establishments represented on Edugeek use some sort of ...

Thank Post

ID cards/badges

A post on here yesterday got me thinking...

How many of the establishments represented on Edugeek use some sort of id card or badge?

I have been suggesting this for our school for several years but the Head is against it because "it's a bit over the top and rather formal for here"...

He gets quite cross that our associated secondary school always asks him for id when he visits.

I just think it would make us all look more professional to wear id...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    ...but the Head is against it because "it's a bit over the top and rather formal for here"...
    We do because the head here introduced it! I can't say we'd be too upset though if we found we didn't have to anymore, but apparantly it's something to do with safeguarding. Does seem a bit OTT as the staff know who the staff are, the kids know who the staff are and visitors are given a visitor badge to wear prior to entering anyway. I just know come the next OfSTED inspection that'll we'll have to be creating replacement cards for 75% of the staff who "forgot" or "mislaid" their ID card..

Thank Post
    Were pretty strict about ID cards here - every staff member has one which must be displayed at all times.
    We have them to help keep the LA happy but also because we have a high number of 6th form students wondering around and it can be very easy to mistake them for staff members.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    All staff have to have them and as they are for the access control too not many forget them now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    As a Safeguarding measure, it is a good idea... especially in large secondaries where the staff don't all know each other.

In a tiny school like mine, they're superfluous as we have so few staff. The only people with badges are visitors. Unrecognised people without a badge are challenged.

Thank Post
    All staff and students are required to have ID badges with them at all times here ( Staff mostly wear and students keep in pocket or bag ) Our ID badges are also used for entry into the building, printing, catering and for exam ID for students.

rad
    Thank Post
    We have them, I break the rules and don't wear one, I find it gets in the way when doing stuff, carrying pc's etc.

The students all have them too although as has been said, most stick them in pockets/bags or forget them. They need them to enter the canteen but apart from that, the rules are not aheard to.

Thank Post
    Half the admin staff here are made to wear customer service badges with their name and job title on, no photo, bit like a mcdonalds name tag. We don't have photo id, I think we should as there a teachers here that i don't know, and they are full time teachers, not student ones.

I don't think the name tags are a good idea, anyone can wear them and you wouldn't know if they were the person on the badge.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    No badges, no ID required in either school. One has access control on the doors, but the other doesnt and has about 5 places where you can entre the school from the street. There are always strangers wandering around - mostly with badges, but not always, and TBH the contractors etc are the ones who make sure they have a badge rather than the school giving them one!

Thank Post
    Here, all staff and the older students (grades 7 and up) have a photo ID card that also works with our facility access control system. Staff are supposed to have their id 'visible' at all times while on property, but this is not really enforced much (although when everyone has their ID visible, it does look much more professional, in my opinion). The students with ID cards are just supposed to keep them with them.

All of our exterior doors are locked at all times, so unless staff or students have their ID card, they can't get around the campus.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    We all have ID badges, without our photos on, students don't have anything, it was safeguarding that brought them in. I find it a pain and often take it off and put it down as i catch it on stuff as im working.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    To me, it would make sense for anyone who doesn't wear student uniform to have photo ID. It can be hard to distinguish Year 12 from some of the NQTs at my daughters school as staff and sixth form both wear suits!

There is photo ID with many lunch cards and I'd combine it with that.

Thank Post
    I have 2 ID Badges

One for RM which is supposed to allow access to the "Local HQ" building, though mine has not been acitvated for that
    Also got one for the school - given to me before TUPE to RM so has my old Job Title

The RM one is usually always clipped to my belt / pocket, but I keep my school one in either my wallet or pocket depending on where I need to go..

Not sure if the RFID chip in my RM one can be programmed for both the school and Local HQ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    I'd guess so if the access control system is just reading the serial number from your card and storing that in its db.

Ben

Thank Post
    Not all access cards are compatible. I have 2, one for local LA and one for school (separate jobs) and i couldn't get either to work on the others door access systems.

My school are bringing them in (to ware) but my youth work (LA) it's part of the job to ware a branded polo shirt and name badge, tho i do take mine off allot of the time as it gets in the way (while drumming). If i don't ware my ID at the youth centres i do blend in with the young people, especially as some of them are taller than me and older than me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast