+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Ladies - What Route did any of you take to get into IT? in General; Wow... You girls went the long way round. I went GCSE ICT [Got a D] -> 1 year of a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow... You girls went the long way round.

I went GCSE ICT [Got a D] -> 1 year of a 2 year Advanced ICT cource -> sat about doing nothing -> ICT Tech in a primary school.

Even though I'm not a female tech, I thought a bit of comparison would be nice. [Also, I'm 22]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post

I went GCSE ICT [Got a D] -> 1 year of a 2 year Advanced ICT cource -> sat about doing nothing -> ICT Tech in a primary school.

Even though I'm not a female tech, I thought a bit of comparison would be nice. [Also, I'm 22]
    You're me! Pretty much the same, although I went into a secondary rather than primary school. I'm also 22 (23 in a week, woo hoo!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts

If you're as old as me they hadn't even thought of GCSEs, let alone ICT when I was at school. We did O'Levels. We didn't do it the long way round, so much as the only way round!

I remember my Physics teacher proudly showing off the brand new BBC computer when I was in the upper sixth (Year 13 to you) and did the first year of my degree on punch cards with the first DOS PCs arriving at Lancaster University in my final year.

Thank Post
    Am quite sure you got to be younger than me Elsiegee lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    If you're as old as me they hadn't even thought of GCSEs, let alone ICT when I was at school. We did O'Levels. We didn't do it the long way round, so much as the only way round!

I remember my Physics teacher proudly showing off the brand new BBC computer when I was in the upper sixth (Year 13 to you) and did the first year of my degree on punch cards with the first DOS PCs arriving at Lancaster University in my final year.
    Is it wrong that I read that in the voice of Uncle Albert?

6. Thanks to X-13 from:

Advocate (11th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Is it wrong that I read that in the voice of Uncle Albert?
    You really need the Yorkshire accent for that one! "When I were a lass.."

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Sorry, but there were no computers AT ALL when I was at school - hence going to college to study electronics. The nearest I got to current digital-type stuff were 741 chips and and/nand/nor/or gates!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Sorry, but there were no computers AT ALL when I was at school - hence going to college to study electronics. The nearest I got to current digital-type stuff were 741 chips and and/nand/nor/or gates!!
    ~Resisting temptaion to imply things about dinosaurs.~

To be honest, half the things I learned at school aren't relevant anymore.

Thank Post

I love being called a girl, even by someone younger than my youngest son

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    I love being called a girl, even by someone younger than my youngest son
    Yeah, well... I was going to call you coffin-dodgers but decided against it.

I "grew up" with my mum and sister... I learned long ago to never imply a woman is old.

Thank Post
    Good thinking that man!

Thank Post
    Like PP's there weren't really many computers when I was at school (I'm 34) but I have always been into gadgets and games consoles. I actually got kicked off my A level classes for poor attendence as I had discovered boys and having a social life! My mum got fed up with me being at home and got me a job with the company she worked for as a trainee CAD draught person ( I had done work experience there) and I loved it. I always picked stuff up quickly and was always asked to training new starters and graduate engineers. I did apply to transfer into the IT department there but they turned me down. When my contract came to an end the company who supplied our CAD software and support took me on to run their helpdesk. The best part of that job was when the company who turned me down had to pay me to come in as a consultant to translate drawings that I had done into another package!
    After various other IT/CAD jobs I gave up work for 5 years to be a stay at home mum. I saw an advert in the local paper for a ICT technician role at a local secondary school and was lucky enough to get it.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=elsiegee40;631667]If you're as old as me they hadn't even thought of GCSEs, let alone ICT when I was at school. We did O'Levels. We didn't do it the long way round, so much as the only way round!

Similar to this, I started life using Dos and playing with hardware out of necessity - there were no IT subjects, we didnt have computers at school. If you are aged 30 or under PC's wer in all your schools and IT was treated as a subject, it barely existed in my school days.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    I'm also 22 (23 in a week, woo hoo!)
    Happy Early Birthday!! [I just noticed this... 6 cups of coffee and I'm still half asleep.]

Most of my technical ability is from playing games on an outdated PC.

Thank Post
    Like Jax I went to school back in the days of inkwells and nib pens and before the calculator was even dream in someone's eye. I did an engineering degree which included a computing course - mainframe and punch cards and then forgot all about computers for several years. In those pre sex discrimination law days, jobs for women in engineering were hard to come by so I tried various jobs including science teaching which didn't work out and then got married and started to raise a family. At home with a small son I started to get bored so my husband bought me a ZX81 and I was hooked. I started off largely self taught but realised if I was going to get a foot in the employment door I needed something on paper so I signed up at the local adult education college for an 'open college' IT course; with this under my belt I landed a P/T job in the Education IT department at a teacher training college. This was just as Windows 3.1 came out and I've grown with the systems ever since. (from Beebs to W7). When I moved to my current job I was the only technician in a school with a small IT department and my only experience of network management was an RM NetLM (pre CC) demonstration network. Fortunately the local university started a course aimed at new network admins which I was able to do whilst working and this remains the only formal network training I have. As our network and support staff increased I have taken on a more management oriented role and have been sent on courses to support this.

I doubt anyone can follow this route now. I got in when educational IT was in it's infancy and learnt as I went along like everyone else at the time. Anyone starting now probably needs some sort of qualification although from a recruiters point of view we tend to look for people who've done the practical route starting as apprentices or similar with basic qualifications and then worked their way up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast