+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sticking with EMBC? in General; Anyone currently using EMBC who has decided to move away when current contract expires? I'd be keen to find out ...
    Thank Post

Sticking with EMBC?

Anyone currently using EMBC who has decided to move away when current contract expires? I'd be keen to find out who you're considering and why.

Cheers in advance.

Thank Post
    Replying just to draw attention to it again, with the added query: does anyone know where things stand regards EMBC and their decisions relating to 2012? For instance, have any costs been decided upon?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    We were with EMBC through the LEA but as of the end of this month Nottinghamshire CC are going directly to Synetrix for both the corporate and education side of things.

4. Thanks to 36Degrees from:

Gibson335 (21st March 2011)

Thank Post
    What LA are you?

Thank Post
    Leicestershire.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    Leicestershire.
    Have you checked out the Broadband Reprocurement area on EIS?

Thank Post
    Yes - unfortunately it's a bit out of date - I know they've had at least one if not two meetings since about this very issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give them a call and just ask.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its far to early to make a decision about what to do when the contract it up. Although there have been some clues about what a future service provided by the emPSN service will look like we don't yet know how it will pan out, who will run it or how much it will cost. We have only just passed the PQQ stage!

I believe the best course of action is to have a range of options costed out and we get the details of the emPSN service we can weigh up what is best for our establishments.

11. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Gibson335 (22nd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Give them a call and just ask.
    Now why didn't I think of that? Oh, that's right, I did. And got pointed towards the EIS site. I also mailed - and got pointed towards the EIS site. As yet I've had no word from my carrier pigeon, my morse code is a bit rusty, and moths ate my semaphore flags. I have considered rendition and a spell in Guantanamo for those whose lips are currently sealed, but apparently that's considered 'a tad harsh' by my therapist.

The reason I asked on here was just in case someone 'in the know' was lurking in their cyber-guise and was willing to spill the beans. Never mind, I think Jeffrey Deaver is looking for a plot for the next Bond book.

13. 2 Thanks to Gibson335:

Edu-IT (22nd March 2011), tom_newton (29th March 2011)

Thank Post
    As it stands, they've gone to put the icing and cherry on all the paperwork and the official statement of requirements which will then go out to the 6 companies who have made it through to the next stage. I imagine then these companies will put together their official proposals etc and we'll get a further update then.

The LA are supposedly going to have their new services ready to announce by October.

In the meantime as Sparkeh says it may be worth doing your own research into what connections you can get to your school, and at what cost, and looking into other options such as web filtering etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    As it stands, they've gone to put the icing and cherry on all the paperwork and the official statement of requirements which will then go out to the 6 companies who have made it through to the next stage. I imagine then these companies will put together their official proposals etc and we'll get a further update then.

The LA are supposedly going to have their new services ready to announce by October.

In the meantime as Sparkeh says it may be worth doing your own research into what connections you can get to your school, and at what cost, and looking into other options such as web filtering etc.
    Thanks for that. I have already begun the process of looking at alternatives, but in my position I can only recommend and if we're still with the LEA at that point then the SLT will also listen to their recommendations. I'm trying to get a feel for how much more costly it will be, so's I can give our BM a heads-up on projected budgets, as we're revising our 3 year plan. I know it's a way off, but when we're looking at costs for 2013, a serious hike in ISP costs is a major consideration.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    At this time it's not possible to know how cheap or expensive it's going to be. Going to have to wait till nearer October for that.

17. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Gibson335 (22nd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    Now why didn't I think of that? Oh, that's right, I did. And got pointed towards the EIS site. I also mailed - and got pointed towards the EIS site. As yet I've had no word from my carrier pigeon, my morse code is a bit rusty, and moths ate my semaphore flags. I have considered rendition and a spell in Guantanamo for those whose lips are currently sealed, but apparently that's considered 'a tad harsh' by my therapist.

The reason I asked on here was just in case someone 'in the know' was lurking in their cyber-guise and was willing to spill the beans. Never mind, I think Jeffrey Deaver is looking for a plot for the next Bond book.
    Well, I wasn't sure whether you had rung up or not ... I thought you might have tried to upgrade telepathy 1.5 to v2 ... but then I remember it had a bug in it which meant that you couldn't control two-way through ... so anyone you came across and tried to read their minds would also hear the cursing and swearing.

Thank Post
    Telepathy v2 is SO last year. I've moved on to Magic 8 Ball v 3.2.1 (Linux), which comes with a free upgrade to Ouija 4.

20. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

Edu-IT (22nd March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast