+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sticking with EMBC? in General; Problem is, nobody knows what's going on at the minute as the providers haven't made their offerings. That's probably why ...

Thank Post
    Problem is, nobody knows what's going on at the minute as the providers haven't made their offerings. That's probably why you were pointed to EIS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Problem is, nobody knows what's going on at the minute as the providers haven't made their offerings. That's probably why you were pointed to EIS.
    Yeah I'm coming to terms with that now...I've just gone into teacher mode for a moment: I want to know and I want to know right now! I'll slap my own wrist.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are in a similar position here ... so schools have a group where they can look at what the school needs to think about for the next couple of years. It has access to the SoR (and folk have been along to the meetings) for the next version of EMBC but it also makes schools think about what they are doing if they want to do something different (Academies, etc)

If any Northants schools on here are wanting to take part in this sort of of discussion I can put you in touch with Alastair over at Duston, who is collating technical responses. We are trying to make sure this is a school led group and not an LA thing.

Thank Post
    No idea how the Leics group got formed, it seemed to be a closed group! No idea who is in it either.

Thank Post
    No idea how the Leics group got formed, it seemed to be a closed group! No idea who is in it either.
    Me neither - it does seem very secretive at times.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    We are in a similar position here ... so schools have a group where they can look at what the school needs to think about for the next couple of years. It has access to the SoR (and folk have been along to the meetings) for the next version of EMBC but it also makes schools think about what they are doing if they want to do something different (Academies, etc)

If any Northants schools on here are wanting to take part in this sort of of discussion I can put you in touch with Alastair over at Duston, who is collating technical responses. We are trying to make sure this is a school led group and not an LA thing.
    I keep trying to get over to the tech support group meetings in Leics which started last year, but every time so far something has come up - but I guess this sort of thing is dicussed, if only informally. Must try and get to the next one!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    I keep trying to get over to the tech support group meetings in Leics which started last year, but every time so far something has come up - but I guess this sort of thing is dicussed, if only informally. Must try and get to the next one!
    Would this be the LEAMIS meetings? The next one is where connectivity is on the agenda.

Thank Post
    Would this be the LEAMIS meetings? The next one is where connectivity is on the agenda.
    No, not the LEAMIS one - we have two people going to that. No, the one I'm on about is for network managers and technicians set up by network managers and technicians, but I forget exactly who organises it. I have it in my old e-mails somewhere. It's held in Leicester - I think there have been 3 meetings so far.

Thank Post
    TonyJF, the meetings were held at the Samworth Enterprise Acadamy in Leics. There has only been 2 meetings with the 3rd cancelled when the snow hit in Dec. I've been to both with russdev who presented on both occasions. Not heard anything recently from the organisers at Samworth though.

The meetings were useful as the agenda was led by network managers, so we got to network, but hasn't been much in developing it further, time I guess?!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    TonyJF, the meetings were held at the Samworth Enterprise Acadamy in Leics. There has only been 2 meetings with the 3rd cancelled when the snow hit in Dec. I've been to both with russdev who presented on both occasions. Not heard anything recently from the organisers at Samworth though.

The meetings were useful as the agenda was led by network managers, so we got to network, but hasn't been much in developing it further, time I guess?!
    Thank you - that's the one. Looked very promising, but yes, I guess time is the real problem taking it further. Hope there are more, though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the problems with things like this is that the folks who could be really good are not always in the know ... and not intentionally so. Most LAs have rules about how people get informed about things and it is expected that heads' groups will feed back to those heads they represent and those heads will feed back in their school. So if the invite goes out then it can get missed ...

Also, there is also a need for these groups to have mainly senior leaders and teachers in ... folk who are going to be making use of it all .. and in the right proportion there needs to be tech representation. Again ... this is not always passed on.

This then leads into an interesting discussion about procurement by technical specification versus requirements ... last had ... ooh .. about 4 years ago if I remember rightly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    This then leads into an interesting discussion about procurement by technical specification versus requirements ... last had ... ooh .. about 4 years ago if I remember rightly.
    It doesn't work! Spend too much time looking at the tech spec of the system and it will bite you in the rear end I speak from having spent 4 years suffering from a system that was designed around that too much, it needs a balance of both those and a good slice of reality as well

Thank Post
    There's a lot of referencing in the various material I've seen to 'commercial providers' and how they cannot provide the same level of service etc.

Are Virgin Media, for example, not a commercial provider? I fail to see how the connection they provide is going to be any different. Other than potentially not having access to SSO, Pathe etc.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 22nd March 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Thank Post
    There's a lot of referencing in the various material I've seen to 'commercial providers' and how they cannot provide the same level of service etc.

Are Virgin Media, for example, not a commercial provider? I fail to see how the connection they provide is going to be any different. Other than potentially not having access to SSO, Pathe etc.
    I think it's likely that our HT, BM and SIMS Manager will pick up things from all sorts of people over the coming months, then the LA will be telling them one thing and I will probably be telling them another. Confusion, as ever, will reign.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    I think it's likely that our HT, BM and SIMS Manager will pick up things from all sorts of people over the coming months, then the LA will be telling them one thing and I will probably be telling them another. Confusion, as ever, will reign.
    Probably
    I think that some of the information coming out of the LA is.. how can I put it... not 100% accurate?
    For example the idea being bandied about that LA services will not be available outside of an embc service. I can't see that LEAMIS (being a fully traded company) will turn paying customers away from using a service like Remote SIMS backup because they are not on embc. There's no technical reason for this not to be doable. EIS is another one that is cited when there are already schools out there that don't have an embc connection who have been offered/have access to EIS. Plus being the main source of LA info I can't see that they could reasonably bar you on the basis of the ISP you choose.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast