+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Need help - Relocation issue in General; Hi Guys! I live in Birmingham and currently work in the CCTV industry at a bus company. Get paid about ...

Thank Post

Exclamation Need help - Relocation issue

Hi Guys!

I live in Birmingham and currently work in the CCTV industry at a bus company. Get paid about 15,500 yearly. I have a house on mortgage in birmingham which is costing me 200 pounds every month. I m married and have two kids.

I recently got a job in Nottingham as a ICT Technician (starting pay 15,700) in a school whcih is what I wanted! I have decided to go up and down the Motorway whcih will cost me in fuel 280. I have thought about staying there but it will cost the same (room rent + bills + my food). I have even thought of moving my family there..but involves a lot of cost and taking my daughter out of school and spoiling her education and social life!

I wanted your opinion if should I go for the job or not? Considering I never got a paid job in IT. I do work voluntary as a IT Technician for the past 6months and I belive I got the interview due to my voluntary position.

please help!! I am in a dilema!!! I love IT and have trying to get in for the past 3 years! Would I get another chance ...and is 6 months expeirence enough to apply else where. Dont know what to do!!!!

Thank Post
    If you can survive with the extra expense and travel time, then go for it. IT jobs are quite hard to come by without experience these days, so grab any opportunity you can.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    If you can survive with the extra expense and travel time, then go for it. IT jobs are quite hard to come by without experience these days, so grab any opportunity you can.
    do you think after 6 months I have a chance to apply else where??? or would I need 1 year expeirence to apply else where???

Thank Post
    6 months is probably ok, especially as you've shown dedication by commuting so far to get a job and experience. You just need to be aware with the current economic climate IT jobs in schools are hard to come by, so there no no guarantee you'll find anything nearer after 6 months.

Thank Post
    280 petrol or diesel?

If petrol it might be worth getting a diesel.

Thank Post
    If you take this job you have to realise that it's going to be your life for that 6 months. But also bear in mind that after that 6 months to a year of getting the experience, if you put in the work and effort you'll get the promotions and hopefully jobs nearer home.
    Also bear in mind when you've got your feet under the table all you need is someone who could do with a bit of extra cash with a spare room and a laid back attitude, you might be able to find a way of going down on a monday, stopping through the week, and coming back on Friday, for the same amount of money, or less than travelling all the time?
    I can tell you from experience that you'll think... but i'm away from home so much - look at it this way - if you travel so much in the week, you'll probably end up so knackered that you dontknow where you are and you'll spend a fair amount of time at the weekend recovering. If you stop away, you can stay awake, really throw yourself at the job and make sure you get all the experience you can, and atleast when you are at home, you'll be awake.

Also, in terms of travelling, have you taken into account tyres, services, depreciation of car due to high miles, etc?
    All of this should NOT be under estimated (been there done that paid the price).

I hope you find a good solution.
    If i can help any more post back or PM me.

Mic

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,629 Posts
    If you can stand the cost - take the job. I do think you need to be looking at a year's experience though. As Mic says, you may well find someone who will put you up in their spare room - IME teachers often rent out spare rooms - and so you might be able to save some money that way.
    I probably wouldn't think about moving quite yet, but in the fullness of time when you are a NM - That'll be the time to move!!

Thank Post
    Can you not rent a room off someone - see it plenty where parents have had their kids leave and have 3 spare rooms so they rent one out. You'll only be in it through the week.

If you dreamt to work in Education IT then follow it. Jobs in the sector are becoming increasingly hard to come by, and you only have to do a quick search to see that. Find somewhere to live through the week, set up skype on your laptop, and before you know it it'll be 2 years down the line and you will be settled one way or another (family come to you, or you find somewhere closer to home).

Good luck

Thank Post
    It really does come down to wheather you can afford it and are willing to spend 2hrs+ on the road each day. Getting the train may also be worth looking into, atleast then you'd be able to relax on the way to/from work.

If I remember correctly the A42 & M42 aren't too bad in general, if it were the M6 I'd probably think twice though - getting home on a friday really wouldn't be fun

Thank Post
    One thing I would think about is are the guys above the techy job going to stick around?
    Promotional aspects?

Most places tend to promote instead of employing outside sources (from my experience). I would go for it, take the chance, build up the experience for a year.

Thank Post
    Have you checked out train costs? Should be much less than 280 a month.

Where in Nottingham (not necessarily school name, area would do so I can suggest how easy the trip from the station would be)?

Cheers

Will

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Have you checked out train costs? Should be much less than 280 a month.

Where in Nottingham (not necessarily school name, area would do so I can suggest how easy the trip from the station would be)?

Cheers

Will
    it's calverton. he mentioned the school in another post

Thank Post
    Just checked train prices... New Street to Nottingham season ticket is 312 a month... puts that one out the question possibly!

Thank Post
    Ride a 250cc scooter ?
    My sister did a year of Leicester to Coventry - was often quicker than car, and much cheaper to run.
    I think you'd just need to do the CBT and away you buzz.

rad
    Thank Post
    100 mile round trip (using Google - Brum to Nott) not loads but as said get a diesel. My Focus does say 450 miles to 60 a tank = 5 tanks a month. If you put it another way, doing that millage daily puts your yearly millage up to 24,000 (5 days a week, 48 weeks a year) as others have said you need to factor in wear and tear.

I used to do a 60 mile round trip at 18 earning less than 10k, it was rubbish but as I lived at home I was able to live still. For me the jouney was ok, the only suggestion I can make if you are still unsure is to book a day off work, travel up from Brum to Nott at the time of day you would travel, and then travel back again, see how long it takes you. For me Tuesday is the busies day in London, others may say otherwise.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast