+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, What to do? in General; A regular poster on this forum, but created a new account to post this up. Lately, I've been thinking there's ...

Thank Post

What to do?

A regular poster on this forum, but created a new account to post this up.

Lately, I've been thinking there's something more. I'm in my mid 20's, and my partner is the same, and I feel like I'm wasted in IT - I get home and am sick of looking at a computer screen. I want something more manual.

My partner works in a school, but doesn't really like where she works. Anyhow, today, an opportunity presented itself. We've been offered the steward/stewardesss position of a british legion club about 50 miles away from where we live. Obviously if we took it we'd move down there. I'm up for the change in career, but my partner is a bit more hesitant (understandibly - she has no experience in the licence trade where as I have a fair bit experience).

I'm at a loss as to what to do, and I know the decision lies between me and my partner, but what would you do? Life's too short right?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would weigh up the options...think long term because the job market is fickle.

Thank Post
    Can you see that being a career? Will it get you where you want to be in 25 years time?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Teaching is a vocation really ... if your partner likes teaching but just doesn't like where they work tight now then a career change for them might not be the right move. One option is to look at the possibility of spending 1-2 years helping you get the club going as well as it can, then you look at getting in some help whilst they go back to working in a school.

If you are the sort of person that needs a fresh challenge every so often then try to sit and chat between you where you might go after taking up this offer. Will this new post give you the chance to get involved in other activities too? Perhaps some distance learning courses?

Whatever you both decide, do so together and don't be upset with each other if you disagree about the way forward.

Thank Post
    Toss a coin - it always works for me because if deep down I don't like the outcome of said toss it prompts me to go with my heart.

Life is too short.

Thank Post
    British Legion clubs are struggling due to falling membership, they've just got rid of the steward at our local branch. I would say that now is not a good time be thinking about changing from two reasonable jobs. Is there any opportunity to expand your role in your school? In addition to the IT stuff, I take IT lessons, drive the minibus, take the swimming lessons, run music and video clubs and I'm a first aider. This has it's downsides in that I'm often called upon when I'm in the middle of something but it does make for a varied and more interesting day. After school today, I'm doing the second half of the Educational Visits Course, which is as dull as ditchwater but will soon be a requirement if you take kids offsite.

Remember the grass is seldom greener on the other side!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    British Legion clubs are struggling due to falling membership, they've just got rid of the steward at our local branch. I would say that now is not a good time be thinking about changing from two reasonable jobs. Is there any opportunity to expand your role in your school? In addition to the IT stuff, I take IT lessons, drive the minibus, take the swimming lessons, run music and video clubs and I'm a first aider. This has it's downsides in that I'm often called upon when I'm in the middle of something but it does make for a varied and more interesting day. After school today, I'm doing the second half of the Educational Visits Course, which is as dull as ditchwater but will soon be a requirement if you take kids offsite.

Remember the grass is seldom greener on the other side!
    Have to say I agree, and the licensed trade is not for the faint-hearted.
    What about seeing if you can have a sabbatical and travel the world a bit? It would be fun and you might come back with a clearer picture of what you really want to do.

Thank Post
    Just to add, missus is not a teacher, she works in the office with no particular scope for promotion in this job. Same for me, no scope for promotion - reached the top of the ladder.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I might wait and apply for a new free school job.

rad
    Thank Post
    The Issue with working together and living together may put a strain on your relationship, i know at the moment you work at the same location. I personally would look at more oppotunities available to you, it isn't a good thing to up roots and move, change isn't something we can all adapt to easily.

Unless the move is a double in salary for both of you, the career prospects and costs of changing may outway the benifits.

On the other hand, the "new location" may have more career oppotunities, only you know that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information