+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, First time tech advice in General; As someone new to a tech role im taking alot on such as learning alot of the schools setup and ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

First time tech advice

As someone new to a tech role im taking alot on such as learning alot of the schools setup and my first experience in networking.

I have been full time for 2weeks now and previously part time for a month, most of my daily tasks include sorting out software, attending to any issues around the school (the usual stuff).

What would you recommend I look into in terms of progression, what did you do your first time in a tech role? My previous work experience is only retail enviroments with computer repairs and certification wise i've recently taken part 1 of an A+ certification with part 2 booked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd see if you can get some time put aside for development

Then use it to investigate new software/technologies that could be of use to the school.

For instance using linux distributions to repurpose old hardware to new role - maybe look at fog for deployment?

Basically find something thats not being addressed as well as it could be in the school, find a suitable way to improve or implement the systems and learn/test/deploy it.

It's all well and good reading/learning about things but I find real world experience and troubleshooting is a lot more rewarding - both personally and from a professional standpoint. especially as its a palpable improvement your employers can see.

Thank Post
    Not sure on what advice to give as everyone wants to pursue different roles and are interested in different areas.

As an Trainee IT Tech I studied MCITP: Server Administrator, CompTIA A+ & Network+. Personally I'm going to look for more networking certificates next as that's what interests me most - Like I said, it's personal preference at the end of the day.

Here are some Microsoft certs to consider
    Last edited by Brodieeee; 4th February 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks very much, ive already made a small list of improvents that could be made, sorted some outstanding issues with certain software and im also concerned with physical security of some equiptment , mainly laptops we have about 10 keys missing from a variety of differnt laptops now and with budget cuts here there and everywhere we are telling teachers basically to keep an eye on who is using the laptop, note any damaged before the lesson and after and keep an eye on pupils. Software distribution has up till now also been 100% images then indvidual installs but im changing some over to MSI soon, and removing some unneeded logon scripts and using GPO insted. Thankfully ive been left some good study guides from NEOS in Worcester on server 03, AD and GP.

Also there are no bios passwords on over 350 systems -_- thats going to be fun, I never even thought of checking thinking they would of locked that down soon as equiptment is installed but days after starting we had a HDD password set by a pupil.

Also pushing for a smoothwall install rather then our current cachepilot and county filtering.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 4th February 2011 at 12:03 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread