+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Acceptance testing! in General; Got the RM Slate at home and installed Clicker 5 and Textease it and sorted out the screen resolution and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts

Acceptance testing!

Got the RM Slate at home and installed Clicker 5 and Textease it and sorted out the screen resolution and other accessibility settings so it can be tested with our little lad with AEN at school.

Obviously, I had to put it through its paces Hence I'm posting from it.

I did let my teenagers loose on it too... The 15 year old loves it... wants one for his birthday and spent a happy few minutes demonstrating how both Clicker and Textease underline swear words as spelling mistakes and then say them out loud

I guess I'm lucky I've had no reports if this at school!... So far!

Thank Post
    Oh, cool!

What's performance like? Is it capable of running the software with ease or do you experience any slowness? Been considering something like this for one of my little 'projects', so it would be nice to have an opinion on one.

Thank Post
    I'm not exactly stressing it. It's still on Windows 7 home premium. There are others on here who have installed Pro and networked them. It's only had MSE, Textease and Click 5 installed as extra on it.

I did use Dos Box's tips thread to remove some of things that slow it down, but have failed, so far, to stop the wretched screen from rotating... it is a bit over-sensitive and you get a blackout every time it happens.

I have changed the screen resolution and then recalibrated the screen and made the icons bigger which makes it more usable by our lad with movement problems. It also helps fatter fingers with the on-screen keyboard. The screen sensitivity is probably better than my third genration iPod touch (or maybe it's cleaner !)

To be honest, I'm quite impressed. It's far more usuable than I expected and, messing round with it last night, have had no speed issues with it at all. I am really hoping our little lad gets on with it. He struggles to use anything with his hands and I have my fingers crossed.

4. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

JHeaton (4th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Ooh, now that does sound pretty good. Thank you for the information.

I'd love to get my hands on one to try out some of the ideas I have, but at the moment the price seems to be quite restrictive, which is a little unfortunate.

Thank Post
    Well, we let the lad loose on it this morning. Me and his TA observed by the SENCO and two Occupational Therapists... it went brilliantly.

We had him tracing letter shapes in paint and doing various exercises in clicker 5. A further tweak to screen resolution was necessary to make the on-screen keyboard a little larger, but he really got the hang of it very quickly and the observers were in raptures. If this carries on for the next fortnight, I think RM have made a sale

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread