+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, ICT Technician interview in General; depends on teh problem...if it does make a impact and has the urgency to teaching and learning....I did ask him ...

Thank Post
    depends on teh problem...if it does make a impact and has the urgency to teaching and learning....I did ask him if the teacher wanted that computer to teach the class then asap...or if not needed than it could be done after the class finished.

what do you think of that answeR?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I would exactly what you have said - ask the teacher what they want. Also if they don't need it and say you can fix it anyway I find (here at least) that actually the class are normally more interested in what you are doing then doing there work/listening to the teacher!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kartikt View Post
    depends on teh problem...if it does make a impact and has the urgency to teaching and learning....I did ask him if the teacher wanted that computer to teach the class then asap...or if not needed than it could be done after the class finished.

what do you think of that answeR?
    Pretty much what I said, really, although the question I was asked was a little more generic, i.e. what would you do if you needed to do a job in a classroom whilst the teacher was teaching a lesson? Said that if it was a problem that affected only that lesson, then I'd ask the teacher whether or not it was urgent enough to require an immediate fix, leaving it until a break or free period if it wasn't. But if it was something that had a bigger impact on teaching and learning, such as a loopback in the network, then I'd just apologise for the disruption and deal with it. I got a thumbs up for that one, even though I didn't get that job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    if you a have a computer with a faulty video card and the teacher is having a class, would you go in the class and repair it or not? and y?
    If it isn't logged. I don't officially know about it.

I don't know about it. I don't fix it.

[Truth, but you should never say it during an interview.]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    If you have very capable IT staff as Bossman/Webman seem to be, I just don't get why you would choose to use RM.

What advantages does it give you over not using it?
    Primarily, it gives us the ability and freedom to delivery better value-for-money services to the school. Some examples of this include dedicating more time and resources to researching and implementing open source solutions in other areas; as well as marketing and publicity/DTP, first-class helpdesk support, bespoke application development, and the time to work on other fun and interesting projects to enhance all areas of school life as and when they crop up. We're not bogged down fixing GPOs, writing batch scripts to assign printers to rooms, creating workstation OS images with pre-installed software for each type of hardware, or fighting a losing battle with user restrictions.

We're a small team on a shoestring budget, and, overall, our system (from physical boxes to 'us') delivers what the school wants and is fairly flexible. CC3/4 is just one part of it that helps everything run smoothly.

Rydra makes a good point about training. RM stuff does work differently, and if this isn't fully understood, things are bound to go wrong somewhere.

We've found that if you work with the system rather than against it, things just tend to work
    Last edited by webman; 3rd February 2011 at 10:42 PM.

6. Thanks to webman from:

bossman (3rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Don't worry about it. I sometime's wonder if @bossman is earning commission from RM

I wish!

But as Webman has already stated we have been running CC3 for nearly 9 years (Yes Windows server 2000SP4) totally solid but ageing. Very quick login times with roaming profiles. Its all down to the underlying infrastructure, Cisco layer3 managed switches (Clustered) n fibre backbone OM3 which will serve us for the future when we go 10Gb with just a small change in connections and switch gear (preferably Juniper not HP procurves).

With careful purchasing and strategic planning which involves just more than having the "Knowledge" the whole school can help in the design by just asking the right questions at appropriate times.

Not jumping at technology just because it looks "nice n shiny" and as most of us know from experience its the teaching Staff that are the key as the students will just use anything which is available so go get em X-13 with your nix servers and ubuntu desktops (wish you all the luck sincerely) if that is what works for you and anyone else who is trying to cut costs.

In the long run it may cost you more not in licensing but in man hours and with the pain and suffering of Staff who will not use software that they are not familiar with at all costs.

We have a good balance of all technologies which just work for our school not for me or webman or our staff and students but for the whole school and any outside services.

I could be running a Vanilla network I am quite capable of it but when I do the maths RM management software just works out cheaper for me (In both time and money) as I have made the capital layout early on when we had a good deal more money.

How many of you out their have ran a medium business size network with less than 12k annual running costs to purchase hardware and consumables and keep everything running smoothly.

I would love to have the budgets which some people have on here but the truth is I don't and so I have to plan and devise ways in which to move the school forward without incurring too much cost but yet give us leading technologies such as virtualisation for our servers to decrease our carbon footprint using free Xenserver software and looking at other ways of cutting our electricity bill which when we have finished should I have the maths right will save us in the region of around 10k per annum.

I really love the banter on here but sometimes I get quite perplexed at the way some think the school networks are their playground to further their knowledge of new technology without considering the impact it will have on the Staff and students.

I am sometimes shocked when I go into other schools at the way money is wasted with new equipment that just goes to waste in some cupboard because of someone wanting to buy it because it looks good or some salesman come consultant has told them it will revolutionise the teaching and learning.

Anyway I have ranted on enough and for some of you on here you will snigger and then go back to your cosy little bubbles but others out there will understand some if not all of what I am saying.

I am in no way having a go at anyone but wish people would grow out of this "mine is better than yours" syndrome as I know all of you are doing your best for what you believe to be right just don't burst other peoples bubbles, whatever system you manage and administer as long as it works for the right people then you have done your job.

I do apologise to anyone taking offence at anything I may have said please PM me if you are one of those people and we can discuss.

8. Thanks to bossman from:

maestromasada (6th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I am sometimes shocked when I go into other schools at the way money is wasted with new equipment that just goes to waste in some cupboard because of someone wanting to buy it because it looks good or some salesman come consultant has told them it will revolutionise the teaching and learning.
    Same here. We just got Espresso, the IT Co-Ordinator, LA tech and myself know it's going to be ignored in a couple of weeks when it isn't new any more.

10. Thanks to X-13 from:

bossman (4th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    kartikt: was it gareth who interviewed you?

Thank Post
    yes...and i got the job!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    yes...and i got the job!
    I assume we will be hearing from you more then!! any problem big or small we are here! and happy to help!

Well done!

Thank Post
    yes...and i got the job!
    Congratulations!

Welcome to the world of IT in education. Hope you have fun.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    kartikt: Congratulations

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yes...and i got the job!
    Congratulations Kartikt!

Despite what you may sometimes read, in these pages, it's a thoroughly decent job to be in. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Thank Post
    @OP: Congrats!

@Bossman: Understand and agree with what you are saying, and most of the time when I beef about RM, it's because the network was fiddled with and fiddled with until it eventually turned blue. Then I started and had to deal with all the crap sorting it out. It's now a fairly stable network we have here on CC3, but because of the grief I had with it in the first couple of years it got me sick. As I said though, this is definately to do with certain people 'testing their skillz' on a live network, and not to do with RM's solution to network management.

However, now we have endured a server failure, and are being forced to buy new hardware. We then decided we may as well plan for the future (as you do you know ) and we were given three options:

a) Buy single new server, commission it as CC3 in place of failed server and stay 'status quo'
    b) Buy new hardware (servers/SAN), upgrade to CC4 ready for the future
    c) Buy hardware, and configure as Vanilla alongside current CC3 network. Go live when ready (similar to how you are/have implemented CC4 at your place)

We opted for C, and this was for one reason. Cost. It was going to cost 2 1/2 times for CC4, compared to implementing a Vanilla network. I understand about taking into account for labour etc, but the way I/the school see's it is they are paying my wage whether we go CC4 or Vanilla so that cost does not come into the equation.

I completely agree that each school is different, and decisions should be made for the benefit of the school - not for bragging rights or 'my network is better than yours' attitude. I like to think that we have made the decision to go Vanilla for all the right reasons.

As you have said though. If the solution fits the school then everyone here has done their job effectively

EDIT: Just wanted to add, the amount of times I've gone to visit local school's (@Bossmans/@Sylv3rs etc) and I'm in complete awe. I see things that I would love to implement in my school, just the funds aren't there to do it. I think our area has a very good networking between professionals in the school, and I don't think anyone of us are the type of 'look what I've got that you havent' - by seeing other people's solution it gives me inspiration in how I can push my school forward, and that's the way it should be.

Have a good weekend everyone
    Last edited by Hightower; 4th February 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Thank Post
    @Kartikt ... Congrats. Welcome to our world.

@Bossman ... Excellent post. I too have been running RM networks for many years now and never had a single major problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast