+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, ICT Technician interview in General; Originally Posted by X-13 You have my condolences. And why may I ask would you come out with such a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    You have my condolences.
    And why may I ask would you come out with such a comment?

Do you have any experience of RM networks?

Or is this a totally random comment born of mass hysteria about software you either don't understand or that you are easy persuaded by other peoples comments, either way it does make you look rather foolish.

This is not in any way a criticism of your abilities within the IT industry but of your knee jerk reactions to the name RM why not Microsoft or Unix or Linux or any other Software?

I was just wondering that is all

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @kartikt:

This actually happened to me when I first started at the school a young year 11 female student took to coming up to the ICT suite every breaktime and lunch for a full week before I actually realised what was happening.

I was quite taken back by this and so approached my line manager and asked if they could deal with it as it was making me feel uncomfortable, they did and that was that.

Get some general ideas about Microsoft products i.e. Server 2003R2 and 2008R2 but concentrate on Windows XP Pro and Windows 7, learn about the system files and the registry for the desktops.

Within the RM structure its very similar to the AD except the OUs are different and everything is ran from a SQL database so therefore doesn't directly interfere with the underlying structure its just a management tool for making the administration of the system that little bit easier but you still have to know about the underlying Microsoft structures.

You'll be fine don't try and blagg it if you don't know something tell them that you would be quite willing to learn given the appropriate training.

Good Luck

Thank Post
    My answer would be 'Not worried about the students, but am extremely worried when the female staff take a shine...'

Seriously though, it's a difficult one. Just have to act professional.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post

Within the RM structure its very similar to the AD except the OUs are different and everything is ran from a SQL database so therefore doesn't directly interfere with the underlying structure its just a management tool for making the administration of the system that little bit easier but you still have to know about the underlying Microsoft structures.
    i dont want this to turn into an RM/anti-RM chat, but just wanted to add to that....
    it does interfere with the structure, it has pre-defined OUs that you are advised not to mess about with, it is the middle man to AD so if you need to change a PC name, you have to rebuild it, otherwise AD will see the change and SQL wont. so it does interfere.
    and i do have experience with an RM system, we're planning on a move away after 2 years of having one, and once certain legalities are sorted out i can go into more detail about our experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Hope it went well.
    Please do give feedback on how it went and what questions you were asked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    And why may I ask would you come out with such a comment?

Do you have any experience of RM networks?

Or is this a totally random comment born of mass hysteria about software you either don't understand or that you are easy persuaded by other peoples comments, either way it does make you look rather foolish.

This is not in any way a criticism of your abilities within the IT industry but of your knee jerk reactions to the name RM why not Microsoft or Unix or Linux or any other Software?

I was just wondering that is all

I've worked with CC3 for 3 years and have had nothing but problems. I also go to our borough tech meetings, all about CC3, and hear nothing but bad things about CC3. [And about CC4 from the schools here it was trialled in.]

Before CC3 we had windowbox. Which also wasn't all that good.

It's not knee jerk hate... it's bad experience hate.

7. Thanks to X-13 from:

MK-2 (3rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To counter your bad experience with CC3, we [bossman and I] have been running the same CC3 network since 2002, without any major issues at all. I personally put this down to a combination of solid implementation, proper understanding and management of it, and good luck - others may disagree, but CC3 has worked for us. We look forward to upgrading to CC4 during February half-term.

One thing we keep hearing is that RM is expensive. It can be, if you take the full package. But this isn't necessary. We only run the software - on top of hardware we bought ourself from other vendors at a much reduced cost; and have no long-term support contract because we simply don't need it.

For all the bad reports of CC3 installs, there is likely to be an equal number of good reports. The same goes for vanilla - there are both good and bad installs out there.

9. Thanks to webman from:

bossman (3rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    It's not knee jerk hate... it's bad experience hate.
    Don't worry about it. I sometime's wonder if @bossman is earning commission from RM

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Webman [and Bossman] I'm happy that you've had success with it, I really am. And I wish you luck with CC4, I must admit, it looks nice.

The cost of RM annoys me. Our LA, IIRC, insist we get the long term support, which we rarely use. I'm looking into moving away from windows at the moment.

I agree that for everything there will always be good ad bad reports, but my personal experience of it has started to change my opinion on Windows.

Thank Post
    I think one of the major troubles with RM networks, is lack of training given to the people who manage them.

Managing an RM network is noticably different to a vanilla network, and to do it effectively requires the RM training on their systems. I managed a CC3 network for 3 1/2 years with no training, and my predecessors at the school were not good at documenting things, let alone managing them, so it left it in a state of disrepair with bits of the network on and off, other bits not working, random trial bits bolted on.
    It was slow, it was buggy, and a pig to manage, and we ended up doing a lot of it outside of the MMC, and going straight into AD instead.

I get the feeling if it had been setup properly from the start, and we had been given the right training on it we'd have had a different experience. But I suspect you will find more bad reviews than good ones overall, simply because of lack of training on proprietary systems in the general IT technicians populace.

Jon
    Thank Post
    If you have very capable IT staff as Bossman/Webman seem to be, I just don't get why you would choose to use RM.

What advantages does it give you over not using it?

I can see that for the less tecnically gifted staff cc3/4 could make administering a network that much easier, but with good tecnical staff in place why would you burden yourselves with more expense.

Thank Post
    thanks for all your responses!!! I went to the interview and looks good to me! They want to employ two technicians! Hopefully will get the call! the interview went well. Lucky that question did not appear! Waiting for my phone to ring now! They did say at the end of today or tmorrow morning they will make a decision.

Thank Post
    Glad to hear that it went well, I hope that it goes your way. Did you get to see much of what the school is like?

16. Thanks to JHeaton from:

kartikt (3rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    yeah..I had a tour of the school...have to manage the feeder primary school as well around this school. So I think a lot of responsibility ... I will have to relocate from Birmingham if I get the job? I do want to get into the IT industry ... wll have to take it to continue my dreams!

Questions were teh following for my interview.....Why you decided to apply here in school in the ICT department....what could you ring to the ict department, .....your weakness?....where do you see yourself in the next five years....if you a have a computer with a faulty video card and the teacher is having a class, would you go in the class and repair it or not? and y? .....some windows questions on how to update a driver....

hope this helps to whoever goes for an interview...i thought it was a fair interview and i gave my best to it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kartikt View Post
    if you a have a computer with a faulty video card and the teacher is having a class, would you go in the class and repair it or not? and y?
    I'm curious, what was your answer to this one? Would be interesting to hear, because we have some rather different ideas of priority where I work...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast