+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, What do you do all day!?!?!? in General; Some days I have little to no work to do, so I'm sitting about perusing the interweb. Others I have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,375 Posts
    Blog Entries

Question What do you do all day!?!?!?

Some days I have little to no work to do, so I'm sitting about perusing the interweb.

Others I have so many jobs pending that it can't all be done quickly.

Some days I have one or two jobs that seem easy at first, but fixing the original fault creates a new one.

How about you guys?

If you have a lot to do every day... do you mind sharing?

I'm starting to feel really lazy.

Thank Post
    There's always something to do. I have a list as long as my arm of things I want to do when I get 5 minutes. A physical inventory for a start. Laptops keep turning up in the strangest places.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Some days I have little to no work to do, so I'm sitting about perusing the interweb.

Others I have so many jobs pending that it can't all be done quickly.

Some days I have one or two jobs that seem easy at first, but fixing the original fault creates a new one.

How about you guys?

If you have a lot to do every day... do you mind sharing?

I'm starting to feel really lazy.
    Depends on how old you are - young ? No doubt you are still keen and eager to learn all the new stuff. Old ? [ Done that, been there, got the t-shirt ] - I look forward to dull moments in which I can fantasize about my exsistence outside the office....

4. Thanks to mattx from:

bossman (31st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    A physical inventory for a start.
    Done.

Took me 3 years and multiple attempts, but I finally have it done. [People lost hard copies and deleted digital copies. Plus my user account got deleted "accidentally" so I had to start from scratch.]

Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Depends on how old you are - young ? No doubt you are still keen and eager to learn all the new stuff. Old ? [ Done that, been there, got the t-shirt ] - I look forward to dull moments in which I can fantasize about my exsistence outside the office....
    I'm 22. I have the maturaty of the sutdents and the back problems of an OAP.

I sometimes look into new tech, but after being told by the LA "It's a good idea... but as soon as it gets to an advisory level it'll be shot down", I really can't be bothered to spend my time researching stuff.
    Last edited by X-13; 31st January 2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added reply to mattx

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fix things, develop software, plan for new things, ponder crazy ideas for new things, install new things, stand on hillsides whilst kids run past, deal with parents questioning their child's dinner balance (as I wrote the software, therefore it is my fault...)...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Done.

Took me 3 years and multiple attempts, but I finally have it done. [People lost hard copies and deleted digital copies. Plus my user account got deleted "accidentally" so I had to start from scratch.]

I'm 22. I have the maturaty of the sutdents and the back problems of an OAP.

I sometimes look into new tech, but after being told by the LA "It's a good idea... but as soon as it gets to an advisory level it'll be shot down", I really can't be bothered to spend my time researching stuff.
    Righty ho - well [ don't tell anyone as this is a secret ] - I walk around the school muttering to myself and slapping myself in the face whilst talking to notice boards.

Seriously though - teach yourself a scripting language.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,702 Posts
    Have you done a network diagram? I have been trying to do one for about a year but it just won't work - and yes, I have tried all the various network programs.
    I have done a list of which software is on which machines, cross-referenced with the licencing (That threw up a few missing licences, so then I spent time trying to track them down and collating them sensibly)
    Spent time gathering all the CDs into one place - took some power to wrench them out of the teachers hot little hands - and sorted them by subject.
    I do read up on Server stuff when I havent a lot to do but at the moment I can't focus on it - hence I am on here!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you work for the school? If so, what've the LA got to do with your school's purchasing decisions?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Fix things, develop software, plan for new things, ponder crazy ideas for new things, install new things, stand on hillsides whilst kids run past, deal with parents questioning their child's dinner balance (as I wrote the software, therefore it is my fault...)...
    Thanks... I feel incompetent now.

Do you work for the school? If so, what've the LA got to do with your school's purchasing decisions?
    Yes.

I was talking about going to open-source/free software and while they though it's a good idea, the LA don't like it.
    Last edited by X-13; 31st January 2011 at 01:24 PM.

Thank Post
    full dr testing

search the kids user areas for flash files and play the games
    Last edited by JoeBloggs; 31st January 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks... I feel incompetent now.
    Nah, I'm just a sucker for punishment! Developing software is often much like stabbing oneself in the groin repeatedly with a pen.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    search the kids user areas for flash files and play the games
    I would love to do that... but I already have people on my back about my alternative problem solving methods.

[I use PC game forums to pick the brains of gamers... That know their error fixing. 2 HT's say it was fine. 1 understands but doesn't like the age ratings of some of the things I go on.]

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    full dr testing
    I'm guessing you mean "disaster recovery testing".

Is Zombie Apocolypse a valid disaster to plan a contengency for?

Nah, I'm just a sucker for punishment! Developing software is often much like stabbing oneself in the groin repeatedly with a pen.
    I write batch files. So far I have yet to encounter something I can't do without using cmd.
    Last edited by X-13; 31st January 2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: durp... forgot to add something.

Thank Post
    I always have something to keep me occupied in 'no problems' times.

Update images for IT suites
    Try to configure windows deployment to use MDT 2010 so I can get some kind of zero touch installation going
    Clean projector filters in rooms that are empty.

Ok I know they are all boring tasks but there shouldn't really be any time when you have nothing at all to do.

Thank Post
    part of my job is to keep an eye on our online reporting system which was developed in house, when i have a quite moment i sit and learn ajax, at the moment i am currently rebuilding the system to incorperate movable items/boxes and customizable user homepages(using widgits). the staff use this over SIMS

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread